Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emachines L22YCET Bad Cap symptoms, but no sign of bulging caps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Emachines L22YCET Bad Cap symptoms, but no sign of bulging caps.

Originally posted by Spz0 View Post
    I have 4 CCFLs, and #1 will not light up when it is connected only to the power supply board. All other 3 wires will produce "2 sec to black" conditions (the lights are faint), but the first one will not produce even a flicker on the screen.
    What happens if you play ccfl lamp #1 into ccfl connector #2?
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      What happens if you play ccfl lamp #1 into ccfl connector #2?
      Not a thing. Perhaps this CCFL is bad?

I"ll be tearing it down further this afternoon to investigate.

Comment

I would change the caps first before investing anything in it... Those two small caps you said you didn't list, those are important to. I'm a little busy putting a BOM together for a bunch of stuff I have to fix, I'll try to help you after.

Who do you use, Digikey? (I don't know why Digikey is such a ripoff lately. Newark has WAY better prices lately, and they have lots of Nichicons at promotional prices now).
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Too late Mockingbird. lol

I tore down the monitor, and indeed CCFL#1 is blown out.

Pictures to follow.

Comment

Wonder what caused CCFL blowout. I think I checked my LCD, it shows 5000 hours in the service menu... I wonder if this also counts time in standby... Di you use this heavily?
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Heres the Left and right side of the CCFL
              Left side pic is a bit fuzzy, but from the right side pic, you get it.

Yes Its been heavily used for 3 years. Standby mode ftw! It _is_ Emachines, so I can see something failing.

An afternote: I have an old 17" Syncmaster from 2002 that is still running strong -- not even 1 dead pixel. /knocks on wood
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Spz0; 01-25-2012, 06:27 PM.

Comment

So, my next logical question is: Where would you go for a replacement? Im reading that they can be sold pre-harnessed or bare. I dont mind a little soldering, but if its not too much more cash to get a pre harness one then I would go that route.

Insight?

Thanks again for all the input!!!

Comment

These guys have the best selection from what I have seen:
                  http://www.lcdparts.net

Comment

Great thanks!

Took a quick look at it, seems they dont have pre-harnessed CCFLs for 22" monitors, so I'll be soldering it myself.
                    With the bare CCFLs, the charge is for one single tube, not the 2 correct?

Comment

Hehe, I have no idea... I encountered this website when I was looking for a bulb for a really old Panasonic 4:3 LCD. Never ended up ordering from them because I have to do what you did and make sure the problem is with the bulb in the first place... The TV had all Jap caps inside so I suspected the bulb, but you never know.

Comment

I ordered some ccfls from ccflwarehouse.com not too long ago. I actually ordered them through e-Bay (they sell under the name plazmo_industries). The bare ccfl is $8.00 with $4.99 shipping. I just measured the diameter and length and put that information in with the payment to them. The shipping cost is constant with 1 or more ccfls. The ccfls arrived in just a few days and worked great after I got them soldered in place.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250474949765#ht_1047wt_1163

Comment

Thanks for the links. Im gonna check them out today and get something on order.
                          Im wondering - since I now have it disassembled, if I should replace both top CCFLs, since they are on the same circuit, or just the one -- or all of them for that matter?
                          (*edit: I will be buying 2 now, as the dis-assembly process cracked the 2nd tube =\ )

Any suggestions?

afternote regarding CCFL tests:
                          When I tested #'s 2, 3 and 4 They all lit up individually and produced "2sec to black" conditions. and #1 was obviously blown out. When testing CCFLs, is it normal for the 2sec to black condition when testing individual CCFLs (monitor detects incomplete circuit and shuts off CFLs), or _should_ they stay permanently on when testing? (hope I explained myself correct). Im asking because I am trying to figure out if there is anything else going on that would cause the 2sec to black condition.

Thanks!!
                          Last edited by Spz0; 01-26-2012, 09:48 AM. Reason: added afternote.

Comment

Originally posted by Spz0 View Post
                            Thanks for the links. Im gonna check them out today and get something on order.
                            Im wondering - since I now have it disassembled, if I should replace both top CCFLs, since they are on the same circuit, or just the one -- or all of them for that matter?
                            (*edit: I will be buying 2 now, as the dis-assembly process cracked the 2nd tube =\ )

Any suggestions?

afternote regarding CCFL tests:
                            When I tested #'s 2, 3 and 4 They all lit up individually and produced "2sec to black" conditions. and #1 was obviously blown out. When testing CCFLs, is it normal for the 2sec to black condition when testing individual CCFLs (monitor detects incomplete circuit and shuts off CFLs), or _should_ they stay permanently on when testing? (hope I explained myself correct). Im asking because I am trying to figure out if there is anything else going on that would cause the 2sec to black condition.

Thanks!!
                            Your explanation was clear. You will get 'two seconds to black' if ANY ccfls are disconnected or or otherwise operating improperly.

PlainBill
                            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Replacing 1, 2, 3, or 4 ccfl's is mostly a question of economics and preference. You're looking at about $40 to replace all of them, $15 to replace just one. If the other ones were showing signs of needing replacement, it would definately be worth while in replacing them.

Yes, turning the monitor on with just one ccfl plugged in will result in 2 seconds to black as this situation will trip the sensing circuit and shut down the monitor. The reason retiredcaps in post #21 asked about the ccfl's result in a different connector was to determine if something was wrong with the ccfl / wiring or with a particular connector.

Comment

Excellent -- I _thought_ there would be some type of sensor to detect faults in the CCFLs.

@Jayoung - I just purchased 2 of the 2.2mm 475mm Full Spectrum CCFL bulbs from the ebay store you listed. Thanks for that. $21 isnt a bad price at all!!

I'll let you all know when they come in.

Thanks again!! Everyone has been extremely knowledgeable and helpful in helping me diagnose my issue.

Comment

If you bought the "bare" lamps, there is a tutorial at

http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/lasotu.html

This is a very fragile procedure so proceed cautiously and slowly.

About 50% of the people who try break their replacement lamps because they are impatient and try to force things.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Aye yes. I've read that page, thanks for the link.
                                    Im a very patient person, so I will definitely be cautious.

I tore down the CCFLs wire harness the other day -- took me about an hour due to the heat shrinked rubber around the wires going into the end cap. Had to carefully slice it off so I could pull enough slack in the wires to free the assembly from the channel.

Comment

Working...
                                    X