Samsung 216BW SyncMaster Monitor. Cap replacement didn't fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung 216BW SyncMaster Monitor. Cap replacement didn't fix

1) IC802, IC601, and IC702 are voltage regulators on the main board.

2) When the lcd is working, measure all 3 regulators. If you can't get all measured with 30 seconds, keep powering on/off until you do.

3) Set your multimeter (if manual range) to 20V DC.

4) Put your black probe on a ground screw. Leave it there the entire time. This is your ground.

5) Put your red probe on each of the pins including the "cut" pin, but ignore the "fat" tab. The fat tab is "up" or "north". Number the pins left to right.

6) You should have 3 readings per regulator (5 for IC702)

7) Report them like so along with the part number (include all lines on the IC) of the IC.

IC802
    1084-33
    pin 1 = 0.0
    pin 2 = 3.3
    pin 3 = 5.0

8) Repeat the above measurements when the lcd is NOT working (i.e. no power LED on). Report your measurements.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Update: I think I found the problem. I regretfully do not own a multimeter so I can't get you those readings, retiredcaps. However, the 2.2uf capacitor (green in the picture) is loose from the board. The board is actually split in that area from trying to remove the old cap from the silicone/paste (whatever it is). I am not sure if this is even repairable at this point without just buying a new power supply. Thanks everyone for your help. I will go cry now while I try to find the Chinese Ebayer with the highest rating

Comment

Originally posted by Downward_Spiral View Post
        However, the 2.2uf capacitor (green in the picture) is loose from the board. The board is actually split in that area from trying to remove the old cap from the silicone/paste (whatever it is). I am not sure if this is even repairable at this point without just buying a new power supply.
        You can run a jumper cable from the cap to the next component that has continuity to it. You do need a multimeter though to verify which component you can run the jumper wire to.

Something like this

http://www.circuitrework.com/guides/6-1.shtml
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Downward_Spiral View Post
          I am not sure if this is even repairable at this point
          If you post good clear pictures of each side of the damage area we can
          suggest if it is repairable and how.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Oh, man. You guys don't want to see this haha. I surrendered and just started gobbing solder trying to get it to stick to the board. No luck. I sucked it all off for the picture. It's toasted.

EDIT: Also, I had tried to stretch the cap lead to the next point as you can see.
            Attached Files

Comment

You have 2 options before getting another power supply.

1)You can solder a wire from the caps leg to the point you were trying to strech the leg to.

2)Take a razor blade, small screwdriver, something sharp and very delicately scape the trace to expose the copper and make a pad and solder to that.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hey. we usually like a "real" challenge.
                It still looks a bit messy - take the old cap out and remove as much solder as you can then with an old toothbrush or similar brush the are with some isopropyl alcohol, then post another picture. If you get a new cap it looks like the legs will be long enough to reach the next joint. If you want to use the old one then straighten the legs and put it back in securing it to the board with the good leg. Tin the bad leg. Get a wire and make a loop in it to fit over the leg and long enough to reach the next joint. Solder the loop to the leg, slide on a piece of insulation if required then solder the other end of the wire to the next joint.
                I think you should be aiming for something like the attached.
                Attached Files
                Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but could someone recommend quality caps for this repair? I have had good luck repairing my Pioneer Elite, and want to try my monitor. We have a Mouser nearby.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Panasonic

Comment

Working...
                    X