Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defect Bios, how to identify

Hello

I am junior technician , i try to found information on how i can identify if a bios chip at a laptop has problem ,

How can someone detect that a bios chip is dead
    With Post cards?
    Use multimeter?

thanks !!!

Re: Defect Bios, how to identify

What model laptop is it? Do you have a model number of the motherboard? Or better yet, any numbers on the actual BIOS chip? From my experience, usually BIOS chips only fail when you're flashing them and something goes wrong. I honestly can say, in all my times fixing PCs, I don't think I've ever ran across a dead BIOS chip. Even if you could find a POST card reader for a laptop, I doubt it would work. The BIOS is what's in charge of the Power On Self Test. If the chips dead, it won't be reporting anything to the reader (someone, correct me if I'm wrong here). There might be a way to check with a multimeter. To see if voltage is going into the chip, to see if it's leaving it. Generally, with laptops that don't turn on, from my experiences, it's usually the GPU. Bad solder joints or something along those lines. I mean, not always. Just a lot of the times. When you hit the power button on the laptop, do any lights turn on at all?
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

i have seen bioses fail, the small serial spi ones can lose bits after a year or 3 because of poor manufacturing.

Comment

Is it fairly common for this to happen Stj? I haven't ever noticed it personally. I'm always interested in learning new stuff about PCs and why they're breaking.
        -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

i cant say how common, i dont sell laptops.
          but i know it happens because i'v had to fix a few.
          infact i'm dealing with a toshiba at the moment.

symptom:
          sometimes it turns on and boots.
          other times it powers up but just stays black-screen.

once you get it to start, reflash the bios.
          if it works fine after that then the flash is not holding the data very well.
          if it still acts up then it's not the bios.

one thing you need to understand,
          on older systems with parallel flash the bios runs from flash.
          on serial flash, the hardware reads the bios into ram before the cpu runs it.
          so once it gets a good read, it will continue to work untill you power off the laptop.

Comment

i want to start expiriment with bios chips .. i was searching bios programmer , what u think is proper for a variety of laptops

i saw that
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/121493860355...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
            What model laptop is it? Do you have a model number of the motherboard? Or better yet, any numbers on the actual BIOS chip? From my experience, usually BIOS chips only fail when you're flashing them and something goes wrong. I honestly can say, in all my times fixing PCs, I don't think I've ever ran across a dead BIOS chip. Even if you could find a POST card reader for a laptop, I doubt it would work. The BIOS is what's in charge of the Power On Self Test. If the chips dead, it won't be reporting anything to the reader (someone, correct me if I'm wrong here). There might be a way to check with a multimeter. To see if voltage is going into the chip, to see if it's leaving it. Generally, with laptops that don't turn on, from my experiences, it's usually the GPU. Bad solder joints or something along those lines. I mean, not always. Just a lot of the times. When you hit the power button on the laptop, do any lights turn on at all?

So you say that most of cases is GPU , i agree but gpu has some signs most of times , strange colors etc.

Chipset and bios is the next most comon problem at laptops i read at most of cases
            Last edited by nackgr; 05-12-2015, 07:19 AM.

Comment

la forma mas fácil de detectar que es bios es la siguiente prendes el equipo normal generalmente no da video y lo oprimes una vez debe apagar con un solo clic eso significa hay un sincronizacion correcta entre procesador, memoria y vídeo, por lo siguiente hay un error en la bios, siempre me ha funcionado

Comment

Tbh, haven't seen a bios go corrupt in like a pretty long time atleast on consumer mobo's, CompaQ/Optiplex mobo's are a different question though.
                Current Specs:
                I5-3570k @ 4.4Ghz(1.22V Rajintek Aidos)
                GTX 970 JetStream
                ASRock P67 Pro3 SE
                Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz/CL9
                Cooler Master Thunder 700W

Oldschool WIP build:
                MSi KT4V
                AMD Sempron 2400
                2X512MB DDR2
                6800GT Asus Ultra
                FSP-300W

Comment

i talk about laptop bios chips

Comment

[QUOTE=nackgr;558837]i want to start expiriment with bios chips .. i was searching bios programmer , what u think is proper for a variety of laptops

i saw that
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121493860355...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

it is not the best tool but should be sufficient to start the flash bios. I also use it and have not had any problems with it

Comment

willem programer is very good for bios chips.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-SIVA...item3a905cb609

Comment

Working...
                      X