Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charge 50cc scooter battery with 12v plug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charge 50cc scooter battery with 12v plug?

Is it possible? Without blowing up.

I have a 12v 3A adapter, can I use it to charge it up? Its a 12v battery.

I have no kick start and battery has gone dead.
    Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Re: Charge 50cc scooter battery with 12v plug?

Charging a 12v lead acid battery (especially a sealed one) at 12v is a bad idea as the battery won't fully charge and you'll likely not get enough terminal voltage to start the engine (as well as risking damage to the battery/PSU).

you should be charging at around 13.8 to 14.2 volts for best results - a car battery charger will do this and also monitor the charge current for you.

Is the scooter a manual or automatic geared one? (if it's manual you could try bump starting it and charging off the dynamo/alternator)

Comment

You need a voltage source of at least 13.8 volts, preferrably current limited.

End of charge voltage for 12v LA/SLA batteries is around 13.8 to 14.4 volts.
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

During charge a battery may operate between 14.2 and 14.8V, with a -30mV/degC temperature coefficient. After charge current is stopped, it should drop down to around 13.2 to 13.8V within a few minutes; at this point, the battery is fully charged. Below 12.5V there is little usable energy, and the battery is considered flat.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Its an automatic scooter. I'll just borroa a charger. Not got my CBT until Friday so plenty of time to get it started. Thanks guys.
          Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Comment

Working...
          X