My Acer X223W went black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Acer X223W went black

I have an Acer X223W monitor and trying to get it repaired. I tried on another site and they told me to get lost because I didn't give enough info. I wasn't sure exactly what info I needed to give so I ask them to just ask me some questions and maybe we could get to the root of the problem, which never happened.

So here goes: My Acer just stopped working and being a "Jack-of-all-trades" I delved into it since I figured I had nothing to lose. I have heard of bad capacitors on the power board with bulging tops and that is the first thing I looked for but, all showed smooth flat tops with no appearance of any leakage. I haven't changed the caps yet, just waiting to see if something comes up from here.
    When I turn on the monitor Windows 7 comes up with a good image and after about a minute or so the top of the screen dims a little and then everything goes black.
    I had asked on the other site how do I change the back lights and some wise guy said just take one out and put another one in. Really helpful wasn't it?
    I would like to get some info from you experts and go from there.
    I went ahead and purchased another monitor and that is what I am using now.
    Any help in directing me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
    By the way, if this is any help I am a Amateur Extra ham operator and have has much experience with electronics. Shocked a few times but nothing serious. Ha.
    Last edited by landon1937; 05-25-2015, 10:46 AM.

Re: My Acer X223W went black

From your description it sounds like the top ccfl is failing. You will carefully need to take the monitor apart. The ends of the tube/s will probably be blackened.

Comment

I am really a novice at this and was wondering if one goes out why does the other one go out? Is that like xmas tree lights, sorta?
      Another thing, is there somewhere that I can go that shows how to get to the bulbs?
      I'm gonna look again to see if I can figure it all out. But in the meantime maybe someone here will tell me what I need to know.
      Thanks.

Comment

Well, I did it. I tore into the screen and found a wire burnt into that is connected to the bulb end. So now how do I get the bulb out? Just keep trying?
        That is one job. Just hope I can get everything back together again if I can get a bulb for it.

Comment

The monitor detects there is an issue and shuts down to protect itself.
          If you provide a photo or few, I can try and advise you how they come out.
          Just take your time, they are fragile and break easily.
          I get my tubes from aliexpress but there is a store in the US you could use although its a little dearer, it will be quicker delivery.

Comment

cheap tubes, cheap led-conversion kits,
            reliable seller.
            http://stores.ebay.com/lcd-led-parts

btw, it's possible that the tube is o.k. and the wire just needs to be resoldered - this is a common problem on phillips tv's

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
              The monitor detects there is an issue and shuts down to protect itself.
              If you provide a photo or few, I can try and advise you how they come out.
              Just take your time, they are fragile and break easily.
              I get my tubes from aliexpress but there is a store in the US you could use although its a little dearer, it will be quicker delivery.
              I tried to make a photo but it did not turn out very well.
              I have two questions:

1. When I took the unit apart, crazy me, I didn't watch very closely how the two sheets of "plastic" were arranged. One looks frosty and the other one looks crazy. Kindly like a see-through mirror. Both of these sits on top of the white bee cone looking piece of which I haven't moved. The bulbs are placed on top and bottom of this through a channel. I would like to know which goes first on top of the cone looking piece.

2. As I had noted before the wires were burnt into going to the bulbs. I know I can reinstall the bulbs but I am undecided on the wiring. There are four wires from the power supply for each set of two bulbs. Two wires to one end of the bulb are one white and one gray. On the other end of the bulb the two wires are one red and one blue. Both sets are the same color as seen in the attachment. How should these be hooked up to the bulbs?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by landon1937; 05-27-2015, 07:47 PM. Reason: clarify

Comment

each plug is usually for an individual tube.

bdw, you shoud not have had to seperate the plastic layers from each other or the thick plastic or glass.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  each plug is usually for an individual tube.

bdw, you shoud not have had to seperate the plastic layers from each other or the thick plastic or glass.
                  I didn't intentionally separate the sheets. That was just what happened, they were loosely stacked one on top of the other. The thick cone looking plastic was not moved, just the two thin sheets that goes on top of the thick plastic was removed and separated in the process. Which goes next to the thick cone piece, the mirror looking piece or the gray shaded piece or does it matter?

I realize that each plug is for one individual tube but still confused about wiring to the tubes. Could you show me a pic of how they would be wired?

Comment

each white plug has 2 wires - each tube has 2 connections - where is the confusion?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      each white plug has 2 wires - each tube has 2 connections - where is the confusion?
                      No confusion now. You have made everything absolutely clear.

Comment

Working...
                      X