Dell E173FPf slow lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell E173FPf slow lighting

I have the above monitor which was suffering the "starts normally then goes dark after 30 seconds or so" problem. I dismanted the monitor expecting to see evidence of bulged caps but found none. The only problem I found was one dry solder joint on the board connector leading to the monitor switch cluster on the front of the monitor. I re-soldered this just as a matter of course and when I reassembled the monitor found it now powers up, starts dark and then over 30secs or so comes up to normal light level and stays there indefinatelly. If the computer goes to sleep and the monitor orange light comes on then when the mouse is moved the green light comes back on and the display is again dark for 30 secs or so and then comes back to normal. I have no answers for this strange reversal of symptoms but would be grateful if anyone else had i.e. is there a common cap or transistor that affects the speed at which the monitor reaches normal light level. Any help appreciated.
    John

Re: Dell E173FPf slow lighting

are you in a cold room?
    the ccfl tubes will be dim til they warm up if very cold.
    does the screen look pink/orange till it warms up?
    if yes that is a sign of ccfl tubes wearing out.

Comment

Hi,
      Good thought about the cold room - but it is not in a cold room and even putting it in another room makes no difference. The screen is not pink that I can see but the image comes up slowly and faintly then get stronger until full brightness. As it has two tubes in this model wouldn't they fail seperatelly? (I am not any kind of expert on this type of electronics so wouldn't know). Looks almost like the effect you get with a fluorescent light fitting where it increases in brightness as it "warms" up.
      Still puzzling so any ideas gratefully received
      John

Comment

Fixed this now! It was a bad capacitor but not one of the common ones
        Johnboy

Comment

can you say which type?

Comment

I have Dell E173FPf with a similar problem, starts dark and then over 30secs or so comes up to almost normal light. Can you provide more info about which cap fixed the problem. I'm leaning toward the ccfls getting old.

Comment

Working...
            X