Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asus N55SL total dead after BIOS flash

well then if on motherboard it say n55sf
    n55sl, n55sf and Quanta NJ5 all look the same but not necessary identical .
    try this bios
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sorinac; 02-20-2014, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sorinac View Post
      well then if on motherboard it say n55sf
      n55sl, n55sf and Quanta NJ5 all look the same but not necessary identical .
      try this bios
      I found this one when looking for BIOS for N55SF, on Asus website they have version 207 BIOS for N55SF and version 204 BIOS for N55SL, so that worries me.. what do you think?

Comment

the bios i posted is for n55sf version 207 full 4mb
        and again on asus website you will get only the update version of the bios that has ~2.6mb.

Comment

the bios i posted is for n55sf version 207 full 4mb
          and again on asus website you will get only the update version of the bios that has ~2.6mb.
          I see, but my worry still is n55sf is 207 but n55sl is only 204, is this okay?

Comment

Try this one.
            Courtesy of http://notebook1.ru/forma1/viewtopic.php?f=386&t=92557
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by khaahk View Post
              Thanks khaahk,

This is the same file as sorinac on page 1, I have already tried this but it resulted in instant fast fan and nothing displayed, so I assumed it is incompatible..

I am worried something else is wrong, since N55SL and N55SF should be the same. But I think I need N55SLAS204 full BIOS dump.. I am not sure!

Comment

They are identical indeed. Do you have the original dump saved (before writing with programmer)? The bios region of the uploaded dump is identical to the one from Asus site. The difference might be in ME region. Which pch chip does the mb have, HM55, HM57?
                Last edited by khaahk; 02-20-2014, 11:37 PM.

Comment

first we assumed the notebook has motherboard N55SL and i gave you the corresponding bios and it did not work. so if the motherboard is N55SF use the second bios i gave you
                  and i am uploading it again
                  just try it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

They are identical indeed. Do you have the original dump saved (before writing with programmer)? The bios region of the uploaded dump is identical to the one from Asus site. The difference might be in ME region. Which pch chip does the mb have, HM55, HM57?
                    Hi knaahk,

Sorry for being a noob, how do I know if it is HM55 or HM57?

Thanks

Comment

first we assumed the notebook has motherboard N55SL and i gave you the corresponding bios and it did not work. so if the motherboard is N55SF use the second bios i gave you
                      and i am uploading it again
                      just try it.
                      thanks sorinac,

I will try, but the problem is I have to send the chip to someone to flash it, so it takes about a week to just to really test 1 flash..

I will keep you posted

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by grahamw01 View Post
                        Hi knaahk,
                        Sorry for being a noob, how do I know if it is HM55 or HM57?
                        Thanks
                        You have to look what is written on the chip:
                        http://images.appleinsider.com/mbp3-100415-1-1.jpg

Do have the orginal contents of the spi flash? If so, post it.

I would try the other (SF) dump from sorinac.

Comment

You have to look what is written on the chip:
                          http://images.appleinsider.com/mbp3-100415-1-1.jpg

Do have the orginal contents of the spi flash? If so, post it.

I would try the other (SF) dump from sorinac.
                          The chip is BD82HM65, SLJ4P, X151A520, so then I guess it is HM65.

I do not have original contents of SPI flash.

We will try the other dump from sorinac

Thanks

Comment

The only other code I can see on the mainboard is PJP8303, on google this seems to be a mainboard in some Asus laptops but not N55SL.. I do not really understand how these things work I am sure you have guessed.

Comment

Originally posted by grahamw01 View Post
                              The only other code I can see on the mainboard is PJP8303, on google this seems to be a mainboard in some Asus laptops but not N55SL.. I do not really understand how these things work I am sure you have guessed.
                              PJPxxxx are used in asus mainboards for straps , connectors ...
                              Best thing to do is to make high resolution pictures with the mainboard and we will know what to look for.
                              But if u said the board is n55sf then the second bios i gave you is the right one.
                              good luck.

Comment

PJPxxxx are used in asus mainboards for straps , connectors ...
                                Best thing to do is to make high resolution pictures with the mainboard and we will know what to look for.
                                But if u said the board is n55sf then the second bios i gave you is the right one.
                                good luck.
                                There is some pictures attached, this is the best I can do hi-res.

Regards
                                Attached Files

Comment

well now we know the second bios is what u need.
                                  It seems those asus guys put a n55sf board and named the notebook n55sl.
                                  Same thing happened to me once with asus k50s that had a k40sl mainboard inside , and also i wrote wrong bios file and the board did exactly like yours.
                                  here is a prof with some differences between n55sf and n55sl
                                  Attached Files

Comment

well now we know the second bios is what u need.
                                    It seems those asus guys put a n55sf board and named the notebook n55sl.
                                    Same thing happened to me once with asus k50s that had a k40sl mainboard inside , and also i wrote wrong bios file and the board did exactly like yours.
                                    here is a prof with some differences between n55sf and n55sl
                                    awesome thats good news thanks!!

Comment

yaaaay! thank you everyone for your help, thanks sorinac for supplying the BIOS file, it works!

I have not put a hard drive in, but with RAM it boots straight in to SETUP screen after Asus logo!

I think I have another minor problem now, after 1 minute in SETUP screen the GPU and CPU are very hot, the metal bits on the back and heatsink are untouchable, the fan is spinning but only slow. Is this actually normal? I have never touched them directly like that before.

I just thought maybe because the BIOS is for a different laptop with different GPU, maybe my GPU is getting the wrong voltage (the GPU is switchable as it is on a card and the N55SF has a different GPU)

Would it be safe to try the BIOS recovery flash, by holding CTRL + HOME and turning on with the .204 update file on the USB? My worry is maybe that update will not be compatible with the N55SF 207 BIOS, and drop me back to square one.

Thanks!

Comment

to be sure boot in windows and check cpu and gpu temps with a software.
                                        I'm afraid that if you upgrade with other bios the mainboard will be same as before ( only cooler starts)

Comment

It works? Leave it alone. Put your hard drive back in and boot into Windows, and check temperatures there.
                                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
                                          X