This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Well here's my hat! Even though my dang head is so big I've never physically worn a hat in my life, I'm Tony, not certified in anything besides having a serious mechanical brain and determination to figure out how things work, I'm Hoping to learn a lot from you guys and can't wait to make my first post and learn my first board level repair. There's something about being able to say for one, I saved an expensive piece of electronics from the trash got more life out of it, thanks guys and gals

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
      As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread "clean" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
      So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
      where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said "w00t.. they have a forum"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..

Hi everyone! My name is reidsworld and I will be asking questions about Vizio TV's I am retired and really a novice on tv repair. By the way this is my first forum and I still don't know how to really post so. Please be patient and help me get oriented. I'll post a message as soon as I'm able to.

reidsworkd

Comment

hi im new here i love learning to fix things all kinds of things like flatscreen tvs

Comment

ok now I have a place to post so once again I am reidsworld and really need tv help. I am retired and really trying to conserve money. I will ask questions about Vizio 47" TV's soon.

Comment

Is this where I post my technical question?

Comment

Hello all!

Comment

Hey, Tony from the UK

Work in IT, all aspects.

First computer, ZX81 which was OK from what I remember but first love was an Amiga 500 then an Amiga 1200.

Both the Amiga's shaped my attitude towards the way I approached the PC in the coming years wanting to know the nuts and bolts of how it worked.

This is one of the things that has brought me to this forum, Which is an excellent read all by itself.

I have a basic knowledge of electronics(Very basic) but am interested in two things.

One is looking after my two original Amiga which I still have from back in the day and as I come across a lot of faulty laptops I thought it would be an ongoing interest given the resources now available on the net to look into troubleshooting faults on these.

Anyway that's me

Comment

Hi to all
                  I am Blckshep from Slovenia.
                  I am interested in board repair of laptops and mostly smartphones.
                  I hope that i can share some of my knowledge and learn some new tricks.

best regards Blckshep

Comment

Hello. I'm from Ohio. I have all of you can help me out with my TV issues!

Comment

I seem to have seen quite a few Slovenians here for only half an hour of looking at the forum.

Hello from Slovenia as well!

Comment

Hello,
                        I'm a retired product design engineer from Silicon Valley who has been working with computers ever since the introduction of CAD. (Still miss the old drafting board, though). Now homesteading on the coast of Oregon and sharpening my ham radio skills. As is always the case, tinkering and repairing electronics, mechanical devices and motors. You name it, I'll tackle it. This looks like a very useful forum. Glad I found it! :o)

Comment

Hi Guys, I found this forum when I was looking for info on a TV that has bad caps in it and looking for other electronic info as well. I love electronics and basically am self teaching me. I have been in the Automotive field and have worked for an Auto Store for almost 30 years. I should of took up electronics like I wanted to back then but the job at the Auto Store presented it self to me and I took it or otherwise I would of been in the electronic field for this many years. Anyway I tinker and do some light repairs on the side and just love it ! Ok, thats enough for now and I am looking forward to learning from you guys as I need help...

Bob

Comment

Good to be here my friends. Honestly, i've just landed here by fluke! A very lucky one indeed
                            Let's enjoy the ride here, gain knowledge, and say thank you to all participants.
                            Thank you.

Comment

Hey, I'm here because I have a Samsung TV that's freaking out.

Thanks
                              Craig

Comment

Hi,

Im From Algeria, Alger. I am an engineer in computer media and a computer researcher. I would like to share my conessace

Comment

Cheers from Italy!

Comment

Hi all. Introduction. Been in electronics since tube days. Was electronic tech and then EE in couter industry. Now retired and still like servicing my toys. I like the name bad caps, as they are always the prime suspects. Having a Sencore cap tester sure is nice BTW.

Comment

NAME ABUBAKAR LATIF
                                      country spain

Hi guys, just decided to join your lovely forums. I found this place when I was searching for capacitors for replacing the bad GSCs that are on a board that a buddy from work gave me.

Hope to have some fun here as well as learn more about computer electronics and sharpen my electronics skills.

Comment

Absolute new member here, although I've been sending motherboards to Chris for re-capping ever since the late 1990's!

I didn't really know there was a Badcaps Forum, but I've added it to my list.

I have a stack of ten ABIT motherboards, some waiting for capacitors, some just waiting...I'm a packrat... :p

I have four full tower cases with dual-PSU configuration and running Intel Tualatin-S 1.4gHz CPUs via Slotkets in ABIT BE6-II motherboards. It's old tech, but I'm retired now and really don't want to take the time to get up to speed on new stuff...

For you younger guys who wonder what it's like to work for 45 years and finally retire...It's great!!! I go to bed smiling and wake up smiling!!! In between I feed my face with anything bad I can get my hands on!!! Right now, that's BLT's!!! And cherry pie!!! And cream filled doughnuts!!! And Reeses's Peanut Butter Cups And French Vanilla ice cream with Hershey's chocolate syrup!!!

Bwahahahaha!!! I love it!!!

Well, that's my contribution for today.

--Rich B.

Comment

Hello, I am interested in the quick fix for a Samsung ln40a550p3fxza, coming on and off/capacitor issue

Comment

Working...
                                          X