This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Things are always breaking. That's just the way it is. So I found BADCAPS.net on one of my "searches" to fix the latest item gone bad. I either attempt to fix whatever it is and end up with it working, or am not able to fix "it" and seek help of others.
    I find these days I spend part of the "fix it" time on the internet either watching someone's youtube video, looking at "attachment" pictures, & reading posts. It sure is nice for others to share to help the next person out. I add what I can when I know something, which is not that often. This is my "newtoyou" post.

Comment

Right, time to introduce myself. I'm going to keep it a bit short here, as I'm (would you believe it) doing some repairs here...

I'm English, 29 years old, live in the Netherlands and have been an electronics and computer enthusiast since I was young kid. I've done various tech jobs ranging from installing mains wiring and fuse boxes as an apprentice electrician to working as a projectionist doing both 35mm and digital. I've had my own recording studio as a hobby and also like to program as well as automate things in my spare time. As I've generally had a strict budget and otherwise like to enforce one, I got into repairing things at an early age. Did my first solder job on a TV when I was about 7.

My first 'own' computer was a 386, switchable between 11 and 22MHz, with 8MB RAM and a 220MB hard drive. Now, I have a full size 19" rack full of servers and gear in my lounge. My knowledge AND my electricity bill have progressed immensely...

I work as a Linux system administrator and engineer, but I've also managed entire Windows environments and am no strange to Solaris, either.

Got questions? Shoot. :-)

... now, back to those repairs...

Comment

I'm from Los Angeles, CA
        No background in hardware repair.

I have a Phillips Plasma 50PF9731D/37 that won't turn on, it goes into protection mode and there's a red led light that flashes 6 times.

I will probably create a thread about my issue as soon as i can.

Comment

Hello! My name is Yuri. I'm from Russia.
          I really like this forum.

Comment

my name sentosa from SE ASia .. I really want to learn about reballing and repairing. .

Comment

Hello.

How do I make a post, I need help with a GPU

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                Hello im Benlyn

Comment

My name is Mike; I'm retired and get a kick out of fixing electronics. I'm new to this form and like the way people can share information.
                  I Need to find someone that can flash the NAN memory for a Vizio Model E552VL. The NAN number is H27UAG8T2BTR. The main board number is 3655-0352-0395 and 0171-2272-3923. There are a number of kits for Vizio TV's but none for this model. The problem with the TV is it will power on to the VIZIO logo. The TV is then stuck on with only the logo on the screen. You have to pull the plug to turn it off. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

New member, trying to get full access.
                    EE degree but limited repair experience. Coding experience ranges from PIC10F up to 'clouds' (Java).
                    Basic hardware, SW and FW reverse-engineering.
                    A few (<10) finished commercial products, a few finished hobby projects and more than a few unfinished projects.

Comment

Hi! I'm diven from philippines, i'm very happy to one of the member in this forum.

Comment

Hi! I'm diven from philippines.

Comment

Hello My Name is ----- for now. I am in a bit of a rush today. I scanned this page and can say that most of it also applies to me. And then there is a list that goes on and on. I will post some stuff whenever I have more time, and for now I have to log off..

Comment

I repair electronics as a hobby. I have been working on this tv that has an inverter problem. I spent over a week tracing the circuit because I could not find the datasheet for a SEM2107 ic. I searched Google for SEM2107 pdf and up popped your forum which had the information which would have saved me a lot of time so many thanks for the info I found in this forum.

Comment

Good morning,

I have been fascinated by the intricacy of the electronic components.
                              I did fix a couple of things here and there, but not to the extent of the micro components I see in today's laptops.

I would love to watch and learn from all of you guys.
                              Hopefully little by little, I can be a tiny bit more independent in solving my own laptop problems.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks to everyone here I was able to fix my TV despite having little to no electronics repair experience. I wrote about my experience here: http://geekdad.com/2016/02/democrati...-of-knowledge/

Comment

Hello. I'm here trying to troubleshoot a dell inspiron 15 5558 blown fuse for the display.

Comment

and for some reason even after making this post like the pm told me to do, I still cannot post my question anywhere on the forum. :/

Comment

Hallo!
                                      Thanks for your welcome in this forum! I'm glad to be a part of this community!
                                      See you soon!

Comment

Hello, looking forward to learning and asking questions. Thnak you for opening this forum to evyone.

Comment

Hi - I'm an Aero Engineer who doesn't know much about electronics but can follow sounds advice and doesn't like throwing away electronic goods for the sake of a simple fix.

First successful repair 5 years ago was my Onkyo 606 AV receiver, second repair was the same Onkyo a couple of years later (have now added some cooling fans to hopefully fix that for good...).

My Panasonic Viera 42 Plasma (TH42PZ80B) was taken out by a lightning strike yesterday morning (I was out with the kids and nearly got hit by the same bolt only to get home and find TV and Sky broadband box dead).

Hoping to find some advice for getting the plasma back up again.

Comment

Working...
                                          X