This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi, Im krnaegle obviously new. Ive been an electronics engineer for 25 years. Most of the time Ive worked as a electronics quality engineer. Ive traveled all over China trying to help electronic manufacturers improve their quality.

The number one problem Ive found is cold solder joints followed by dirty boards. Running a close third place is low quality components which will not function for long when used in their upper specified ranges.

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
    As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
    So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
    where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..

Comment

hello, I am a new member to this thread

Comment

HELLO ,excuse me for shouting, I love bad capacitors, my livelihood depends on them.I was an adult apprentice Radio and TV Service Technician,completed my apprenticeship in 1974 when I was 30. Since then I have been self employed
        and have managed to remain in business by dogged determination, self education and always ready to learn new skills.Currently I service plasma and lcd tvs,install satellite equipment, repair audio equipment and whatever comes through the door if I think its worth tackling.
        I like music, vinyl, cd and Pandora.
        Long walks with the dog.
        gardening
        Movies
        great tv ,Breaking Bad, Fargo, BBC series and so on.
        and resources like Bad Caps that are always a great help.

Comment

Hello, name is Eric. Lots of good info here I see so far, could be very helpful for troubleshooting electronics. I worked in the field as an electronics technician for 32 years.
          Looking forward to visiting Badcaps often!

Comment

Hi, my name is rezelco. I found my way here looking for info to fix an LCD my mom gave me.

My background is in IT, but electronics repair was always something I wanted to learn more about.

I am excited to get started on my journey.

Comment

Hi all, My name is Kevin.

I fix all kind's of hardware problems. From cars to smartphones.

Kind Regards,

Kevin

Comment

I am a new member. Been learning hard to repair electronic equipments and power supplies especially. I have brought some online books from Justine Young web site to test bad components. There are a large number of electronic appliance in my home pending repair

Comment

Advance Heating Introduction

Hi,

I have joined this forum because I'd like to repair a 50" Samsung plasma TV model: PS50C96HD which has sound but no picture.

I'd ideally like to find someone in the UK to whom I can send the damaged boards through the post, and have them repair them. If anyone has some good leads for this kind of service... please let me know !

By the way, for a living I design and install wood-burning stove boilers, which are often combined with gas/oil boilers and solar thermal panels in domestic properties.

George Robinson
                  Advance Heating. mobile: 079 4086 0205
                  Advance Heating, Coventry

Comment

Hey everyone, my name is Alexander and I'm from the Vancouver Washington area.

I repair mobile devices such as cell phones, tablets and laptops locally as my main source of income.

I hope to be of some help to others on the site!

Comment

Hi,

I am newbie to component level repairs. I have the following devices ready to be de-assembled and either be sent to recycling center or be replaced with good capicitors or good parts: Computer: HP Pavilion A6502F (from closet at work, 1 month under my care: still takes 15 minutes to boot into Windows, Ubuntu takes 3 minutes to boot into desktop), computer: Acer Aspire X1700 (from a friend, 1 year - but still unstable), LCD TV: Vizio M261VP (from family, 2 months, black screen & no sound), I have a few old motherboards to pull components from.

I hold inactive CompTia A+, Network+ certifications, and inactive Cisco CCENT cert.

I have a 4 year old boy that loves to test my stereo systems by taking cassette the loading trays out and stick chopsticks into any gap and opening he finds. He loves watching Transformer, but it will be a challenge to get him to turn off the TV when it's his bed time. He loses interest very quickly when I turn on the slow crawling computers (under repair) or to turning on a LCD TV without any sign of pictures or sound.

I have 20 other systems under my care and are well maintained running Windows XP Pro, Windows Vista, Ubuntu 12.02 LTS, Windows 7 Home Prem, Windows 7 Pro, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008.

I earn a living with a part time book keeping, business administration job.

I can't wait to learn from the Pro, and the good old hackers (hardware and software) at badcaps.net/forom to bring devices under my care back to life.

Nice to meet you all,

Gus

Comment

just joining to atempt to fix my tv

Comment

Hi, I'm new tryng to fix my LCD tv I appreciate anyone help. Thanks.

Comment

Hello guys, Just here to fix my monitor. Lots of helpful info here.

Comment

I am a pro repair tech who has seen bad caps from the early 00's in everything from PC motherboards to tube guitar amplifiers.

Glad to be here.

Comment

Hey guys, joined your forum with the interest in electronics.
                                Dale, 35 male from Australia.
                                Qualified mechanical fitter and turner, electrical fitter.
                                Basic electronics hobbiest. Play around with laptops, xboxs and iPhones.
                                Hope to learn a lot from this site. Thank you

Comment

Howdy everybody,
                                  I am from South Texas and found this forum on google. Wow a wealth of info and seems like a lot of helpful members. I do need some help so I look forward to meeting all of y'all.

Comment

Hello Guys

I'm from Canada, I always try to fix any electronics, so I think I'm in the right place for info!!!

Comment

Hello all,

New member, been lurking for a while, reading and learning. Thanks to all those with the knowledge, for sharing and helping others learn.

Comment

Hello people! I'm from Timisoara, Romania and I am glad I found this community. Thank you for accepting me!

Comment

Hi All

Valve (tube) amp guru and mad scientist type.
                                          Owner of a hateful P4S800D (or are the S&D the other way round.. ram error!!) with the "continual reboot" sickness.. and a recapping exercise gained another 6 hours before it came back.. and a K8N waiting for surgery later in the week.. oh well.. more about that another time..

Being 49 I reckon I'm in need of a service too, especially in the memory department

Comment

Working...
                                          X