This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi everyone I'm come here looking for some help on a probably dead laptop. I've came across bad cap in an other job, so when I found this website, I laughed a little bit. I hope I can find what I'm looking for here!

Comment

Hi, joined to find info on a dead LCD TV, think I already have my answers. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Hey, I'm Marco from Italy. I'm quite new to electronics and I joined to see if I can troubleshoot a computer PSU with your help

Comment

Just a quick hello.

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
            As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
            So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
            where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
            Hello everybody,
            I come from Luxembourg Europe, I work as Hobby in Electronic, an repair much things like tv, hifi, Video , DVD an much much more. I hope to learn lots in here
            Thanks

Comment

Hello !
              I am Francois, french speaking Belgian (from Charleroi) living in France (Paris).
              I owned a Texas Instruments TI-99 when I was a teenager, and a Roland Jupiter 8 musical synthetizer.
              I wish I had had some knowledge in electronics (to fix my Jupiter 8 probles) but instead, after I dared unscrew the cover, I stayed in silent admiration and fascination for all those electronics components, and the gurus that understand what is going on inside !
              I studied partially civil engineering, but only have general theoretical knowledge of electricity and electronics.
              I landed here because my LCD TV, a Sony KDL-32D3000 is showing thin static vertical coloured lines completely covering the screen (sound ok) and I am wondering if it really needs to go the bin as the Sony Repair Service agent told me...
              Here I found some info and litterature I'll read before posting and asking for help...

Comment

My first post. Came here hoping somebody can help me with my capacitor replacement project and get my car back on the road again!

Comment

Hello, Im new to the board and wanted to introduce myself. I am an electrical engineer (work on software programs to design the chips that go into PC/phones, ...).

I used to work on pc and electronics repair as a child in the 70's and have more recently fixed a couple motherboards and monitors with basic bad caps (thanks to help from this site).

I have to admit my soldering skills are green and the repairs I have made have not been completely smooth.

My latest projects, just repaired a 21" samsung monitor (obviously visible bad caps) and works great now.

My current challenge is trying to repair a 28" monitor HG281D monitor that went out.
                  The logic board has some really small caps that have been challenging to remove cleanly.

Posted a reply to an old thread, not sure it is still being followed.
                  Please take a look at the post if you can. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Kuma

Comment

I went to school for electrical engineering, but I mostly write firmware. I found this site when searching for why my Panasonic 50" TV was blinking 8 times and wouldn't show a picture. Great site.

Comment

Hey everyone, i just joined the forum seeking help regarding my gigabyte mobo, tried a lot of fixes but nothing seems to fix the issue. The symptoms are kind of that of a failing cap. Hoping someone here can help me with this. ill post the problem at the particular section.

Comment

Hello, I'm a computer and electrical engineer. I joined this site a long time ago when I needed help to fix a TV and used it again to fix a monitor some time later.

Comment

Hello everyone i'm from india from a very small city

Comment

hello everyone, i am adekunle , i live in uk im just an computer enthusiast

Comment

Hi everybody, Im a electrical engineer but now Im doing some electronics works, thats why Im interested in participate in this forum,

this forum is great thanks for accept me.

best regards
                              Omar

Comment

I'm just a college kid trying to fix a television for gaming. Learning how to fix things is becoming a hobby. I've never been too handy with these things, but I'm getting better.

Comment

Hello from Greece , my name is Vangelis and i am an electronics technician. This site is very helpfull. I hope to help you as i can. Thanks !

Comment

hi everyone
                                    jimmy from sheffield in england im 44 and been repairing tvs for a year now time to get in to the nitty gritty stuff

and many thanks for acepting me

Comment

Hi everyone
                                      I was in Thailand I lived in the northern of the country.
                                      My house is next to Laos. I opened Appliance Repair is a lot here for 10 years and I am not good in English. But I can read and understand English. For this reason, I could not ask any posts yet.I had some issues not resolved We search the internet and find here.
                                      Perhaps the appliance repair cycle and need schematic circuit , so I want to come here.
                                      Thank You

Comment

Hi there everyone,

I've been a non-registered 'lurker' here for a while, using the forum as a reference, but the time has come to ask a question, so here I am. This thread is waay too long at over 500 pages to read all at once, but I noticed some people were posting their computing pedigrees, so to speak, so here's mine:

I started with a Timex-Sinclair 1000. 2k ram, no sound, black and white only, no real keyboard, and the only storage device available was whatever tape recorder (the regular audio type) you happened to have. It was enough for me to get started learning BASIC.

Next came the Commodore 64 with its tape drive. No, not the genuine "Datasette," but a knockoff-- it worked, though, gradually. Eventually I got a real monitor instead of a TV, a 1541 floppy (which seemed incredibly fast compared to the tape, even though the 1541 without an accelerator was ridiculously slow), and a "Total Telecommunications" modem (actually a rebadged Westridge, 1650 compatible pulse dialer). Ahh... the BBS days. I did also join Q-Link, AOL's predecessor, but it was too expensive and limited (only available between 6pm and 6am, with a per minute surcharge for nearly everything anyone actually wanted to use it for).

Upgraded to the Commodore 128, 1902 monitor with its 80 column RGB display (very gee-whiz by 8 bit Commodore standards), 1571 floppy drive (which was pretty zippy in 128 mode, at least compared to the 1541), 1581 3.5 inch floppy, 1670 1200 bps modem (the Volksmodem I had for a couple of days... it was cheaper, but I soon realized it was not compatible with ANYTHING and it went back), 1351 mouse, Seikosha SP-1000 printer... not all of that at once, though! Had to build it up over time. It was too expensive for a one time shot.

I brought that system with me to college, but I soon built my first PC, a 386-33 system with a full size AT motherboard with 32KB cache, 4MB ram, 512KB Paradise SVGA, a Seagate ST251-1 40MB hard drive, 2400bps modem... now that was a serious piece of hardware in 1990. It ran Windows 3.0, but nobody actually booted into Windows then. You booted into DOS to do most of your stuff, and when it came time to use Windows, you'd type "win" (that was a subtle bit of Microsoft promotion, was it not?)

Soon it had 8MB RAM (people thought I was crazy; what would I ever need that much for?) a 330mb ESDI hard drive, Soundblaster (mono, 8 bit), Tseng ET4000 1MB SVGA... in a full tower case that had metal that had to be two or three times as thick as what you'd see on a high-end case now. It was a very heavy beast.

I really have no idea how many PCs I have had. What defines when it becomes a new PC when you upgrade it bit by bit? I kept using that case until the AT form factor faded into history, but by then it had been a 486DLC-33, a 486DX-33, a 486DX2-66, a Pentium-100 (with a Matrox Millennium video card ooooh!), a Pentium-133 (I was working for a computer builder at that time, and I was upgrading on a regular basis... I'd sell my old components when they were only a few months old and still had a good bit of their value and get the next best thing that had just undergone the drop in price from when it was the latest and greatest). That was an exciting time... every week, there was some new thing being announced. I remember being so excited, waiting for the AMD K6 to come out.

Bunches of upgrades later, now my main PC is a i5/2500k overclocked to 4.7Ghz with Deep Cool Gamer Storm cooler, Asus P8P67 Deluxe 3.0 motherboard, 8GB DDR3-2133, 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD (Hitachi design), PNY XLR8 GTX 760 with Accelero Twin Turbo II cooler, in a Corsair 760T case. My laptop is an Asus F8Sp with the CPU upgraded to T7800 (Core 2 Duo 2.6Ghz; stock was T5750 2.0 Ghz), RAM upgraded to 8GB DDR2-667 (and they said it could only have 4!), WD Black 750GB HDD (stock one was 5400 RPM 250GB; when it died, I replaced it with a 500GB 7200 RPM Seagate that lasted for 28k hours of uptime before it died too). It's 7 years old, but it works really well, and it's still competitive with a lot of the lower-end systems I see being sold now.

I'm still running Windows 7 on both of those. I tried 10, and found it is not ready yet by my way of thinking, so I'll stick with 7 a while. I hope going back to 7 didn't cancel my "digital entitlement" upgrade to 10... eventually the updates will stop, and I really hope 10 is something I will like by then.

If you made it this far in the post, congratulations! I do have difficulty writing short posts.

Comment

I am just an old dude trying to keep learning! I have a Vizio XVT553SV that went blank on me. Figured I would give a try to fixing it. After dozens of YouTube vids I dove in and came up with needing a new main board. I replaced it and it started but would not go past the set up screen with the remote. Stumbled upon your sight and plugged in my problem. All I needed to do was pair the remote to continue.Duh! Wow I feel pretty dumb, but it is part of the learning curve! Looks like you have a great site. I really appreciate your help! I hope to be able to contribute something some day! Thanks, Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                          X