X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Found it. ( where to reply )

Am a professional Tech, For the last 50 years or so. Consumer Electronics, 5 years with a
    Defense mfg in 60's, In R& D department of Haggar Slacks , Building and servicing their automated equipment.
    My first computer was A Rac Shack Color II it had a whopping 4 k memory, and used my audio cassette recorder for drive .
    Next was a Apple then IBM XT with no hard drive just 5&1/4 inch floppies like my Apple had. Now its 3gig procceser, 4 gig memory, dual 300 gig drives.

Now I'm retired ( sort of ) still work for a fiend and in the business on OLD radios and Record players no one else in town will work on or knows anything about. I started out at about 10 years old building radios and amps out of parts scrounged from old radios I was given.
    Will post picture of me in shop in 1962 on profile.
    Jamie

Comment

Hello all,

I'm new here. Just wanted to learn how to fix my Panasonic TCP50s30 tv which just started doing the 7 blinks of death on power up.

I'm a software developer now, but was an electronics technician about 10 years ago. I'm not to get in there to do component level repairs. I'm just preparing to figure out what to do just in-case my SquareTrade extended warranty does not come thru for me.

I think the hardest thing about could be just getting the components, but I see there are repair kits available on e-bay and amazon. It be also nice to know the component part numbers to see if I can source them locally in-case I need them.

I've browsed a few post so far and it seem like lots have fixed their tv by doing component level repair. Seems like a very helpful site.

thanks
      Dave

Comment

Sorry, in my introduction, i meant to say that I am not afraid to get in there and do component level repair.

Comment

Hi, I'm knoba!

I'm in the south of England. I fix (break) electrical things.

Permit me to display my ignorance & enthusiasm for unmasking the 'magik' of; electronics, components and electricky, in a forum much like this one...
          knoba - blog

Comment

Hello, i'm John or João in portuguese.

I'm from Portugal and I'm starting to learn how to fix electronics.

I thank you right from the get go for all the patience.

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
              As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
              So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
              where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
              hi, this is Fouad from Qatar. hopefully you will be in great shape. Thanking you, letting me subscribe as member.
              Im repairing laptop and desktop, specially interested in repairing motherboard , chipset level. I know, I need technical details, like schematic, service manual. I think its the best place for that knowledge.

Thanking you in anticipation
              Sincerely,
              Mr. Fouad Jamil

Comment

Hello there, Scott from Campbell, CA I'm a tinker-er. plain and simple. I take EVERYTHING apart to learn how it ticks. I earned an associates degree in electronics 2 decades ago (right around the time component level troubleshooting took a back seat to board swapping) so I haven't used any of the mathematics I learned since graduation. I joined the forum because I am ALWAYS trying to fix stuff that I don't know how to fix. this is how I learn. Currently, I have an LCD television/dvd combo for my daughter's room that seems to have some power supply issues. so here I am. nice to meet you all.

Comment

Hi my name is Paul and I repair cell phones and all other kinds of electronics.
                  honestly im just joining because recently i got a new car and the factory amplifier is bad in it and isnt covered under warranty and i found the 2 capacitors that are causing but having trouble finding them and the amp is very expensive(( its a sad life driving a car with no music.

Comment

Hello everyone, I'm a new member on badcaps. This is a great website and full of resourceful material. Glad to be a part of it

Comment

Hello all!
                      Steven from Daytona Beach, Florida here.
                      Excited to be a part of this ever-growing community
                      Hurrah for public knowledge!

Comment

hi all, FL here. looking for advice on repairing an LCD tv of mine, glad to be here with such helpful group of people

Comment

Hello and good evening.. i just wanted to say thanks for all the useful information in these threads.. I've been able to fix a few monitors by all the great comments.

keep up the great work.. Cheers.

Comment

Greetings all

I'm surely a rank amateur compared to most everyone else here... but I have basic multimeter, soldering, and debugging skills, and was raised to believe that a heck of a lot can be done by someone willing to crack open the cover and peek inside. And, honestly, where the repair cost often exceeds replacement cost, what is there to lose?

Over the years I've saved TVs, washing machines, dryers, stoves, vaporizers, and other small electronics from being thrown out by being willing to poke inside and ask around. And this looks like an awesome place to ask around, and I'm happy to have found it.

Comment

*PFT* *PFT* Is this thing on?

I like to dabble in everything so I figured this will be my new hangout.

Cheers.

Comment

Howdy!

Joining up in order to try to bring my 204T Craigslist find back to life! I have a background in engineering, though programming is my day-to-day. Some basic electronics knowledge, but it is far from my strongest skill. I'm pretty good at researching something pretty well before jumping in, and having pored over many posts here already, I'm now in the market for some tips on how to handle CCFL's safely.

James

Comment

Hey my name is Ian, and I am a firefighter, and I love to tinker and try to fix things myself, as it allows me to learn different things and gives me a sense of accomplishment.

I live in North Carolina, but moved here from Cleveland, Ohio.

Comment

Hello from Texas. Joining to troubleshoot a problem with my Samsung plasma. Great information around here!

Comment

Hi I'm Omar and been working in electronics repair back in the day. I work as an EE now in the cable TV industry but still like to fix electronics as a hobby.

Comment

Glad to see there is a forum to possibly help repair electronic equipment. I have a little experiance in electronics, (proberly enough to get me in trouble), but I just don't like to send an item to the graveyard without @ least trying to give it a go @ repairing. I am retired, have worked in coal mines for around 30 + years, worked in a bronze factory as a tech / mechanic for about 5+years and enjoy fixing things that would normaly be trashed. I have several components of electronicequipement that I hope I will be able to get up and running with the help of forum members. I can do basic sodering/desodering, and have some knowledge of identifing the components in electronic equipement. I am hoping to get more nohow in troubleshooting and repair from the forum members and maybe being able to help some. I must warn you though, I am very slow @ typing, my spelling is not the best,(even thoug there is spell check) and kind of new to formums, so I hope you will bear with me until I can get better @ it. With help from my son I hope to limite mistakes in sending messages and review them. Thanks again and I look forward to useing the forum.

Comment

Hello. The old school boy is in town and want to join you. I hope I will be helped.

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                                          As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                                          So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                                          where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..

Comment

Working...
                                          X