• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Badcaps is the best site!

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
      As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
      So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
      where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
      My name is Peter Ache I am from Trinidad but have US residency. I studied electronics in the UK, and am now retired, but do some servicing of Plasma,LCD,LED and DLP TV's. I hope that I will find the help that Many of us need no matter how much we think we Know.

Comment

Hello All, my name is Gary, and like many I am trying to save some money by attempting to repair my plasma tv myself, learn something in the process, and revel in that feeling of accomplishment when success finally comes. I look forward to the process.

Comment

Hi everybody my name is Greg. Joined forum to learn about what is the best ESR meter to buy.

Comment

Howdy all, my name is Jake. I have no experience in component repairs, or any tv/computer repair for that matter. I'm here because I bought a Wal-Mart display tv. =p So now I know why that was a bad idea. lol.

Comment

Hi,

while I'm quite late to join (well 10 years is a long time) nonetheless G'Day to you all!
              I'm looking for help with my Acer F-20; and yes, I found some hints already!

Mathias
              Last edited by mathiasn; 12-14-2013, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Greetings from SE Ohio. I am a chemist, DBA and programmer who also dabbles in electronics. This looks like a great site and I hope to make positive contributions as my limited knowledge permits.

Denny

Comment

New member Elroy Tucker

Hi fellow tech my name is Elroy Tucker from Belize City a small country in Central America. I am the Electronic Technician for our company. I do TVs and computer repair, now that the Refrigerator are coming more electronically controlled troubleshooting them becomes part of my job too.

Comment

Hi

I'm Jeff.

I saw your forum when searching for info the LG LCD TV model 42LH3000.

I'm a computer technician and know very little about TVs.

Comment

Hello, This is Dave from Sand Springs, Oklahoma which is just west of Tulsa. Been searching info on Capacitors and found this site. Have just started repairing some things around the house, a TV, computer power supply, and now a buddies LCD TV that he replaced a couple of caps that I think are incorrect and looking for answers.

Comment

Hi everyone my name is Nathan. I'm from Michigan and i'm an electronics student with a decent amount of knowledge on electronics although I have limited experience with repairing TV's and i'm looking to improve on this and hopefully fix a broken TV i have been given.

Comment

Hello. Had my LG L204WT monitor go bad recently, and this is the only site I found that had any actual information on it. Unfortunately, I know nothing about capacitor sizing or compatibility. So I'm hoping to find as much info as possible, so I can get rid of this old Compaq CRT monitor.

Comment

New to the Forum. Thank you for all of the great information that is available for those that will take the effort to look through all of the previous conversations.

I came across this forum while researching a problem with a plasma TV. I enjoy fixing anything that is broken. I am a mechanical person that is attempting to learn more about electronics. I have already spent many hours searching over the (very helpful) threads while troubleshooting. I was hoping to work through my problem with only the information available in the threads of this forum. Ultimately, I'm probably going to create a thread and humbly ask for some assistance.
                            Thank you again to those that have spent the time to help so many people.

Comment

Hi all, quite new to all this. After watching a youtube video on bad capacitors I repaired an old motherboard that I had never got around to throwing out (2 bad caps around the CPU but replaced them all). I thought I would give it a go and was amazed it worked! Since then I have repaired a Samsung TV power board and a Pace satellite receiver. I am by no means an electronics expert and it would be cool to be able to ask advice from those who are much better qualified!

Comment

Hi there, I'm Megan and I came across this site while looking for solutions to fix my LCD tv. I'm hoping someone here will be able to give me an idea of what's happening and how to fix it. Thanks!!

Comment

Well.I'm a newbie here and i thank you for the opportunity to be here.I'm not a master of anything but i tinker around with everything.Been messing with computers since windows 1.0.did alot of stuff in Dos.I'm what you call the old saying "Jack of all trades,Master of none"

Comment

Greetings all. I'm a complete newbie here and indeed I had never visited this site before last night (Friday the 13th) when my 30" Samsung 305T monitor crapped out on me. I ended up finding a thread on this site that has helped me fix the monitor and have some ideas to mod the monitor for better cooling. I didn't actually get as far as doing anything to the capacitors, but the thread also helped know what to look for to spot damaged capacitors.

Thanks for being here!

Comment

Hi guys. Completely new to this site 74year old silver surfer and been in to computers, sat receivers and motorised dish installations for 20+ tears Am a "Scotie" living in "Gods" country!!

Comment

Apologies for the mis-spell "tears" should of course read "years"

Comment

Hello everyone,
                                          I saw your forum when searching for info the LG Monitor model W2453V-PF, it's having some bad capacitors problem and it doesn't power up, I like your great community already and I wish someone could help me.

Comment

Working...
                                          X