Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone I had Sega mega drive 2 consoles, the original and a clone, I successfully repaired the clone before buying the Sega dreamcast in 2003, and already in 2004 I built my first PC - Intel pentium 2800 with an LCD monitor))) I repaired the PC motherboard for the first time in 2006, in 2009 the first cell phone, Here as in India. Sometimes I repair something that costs like a hamburger))) And sometimes something that costs like a normal car!

Comment

A WELCOME to everyone that joins in!!

Peta, ofcourse some advertising would always be helpful to making this a success.... This forum has existed since October 6th 2003, online the first time at about 9:00PM CST. Being a couple days old, atleast there's traffic...

I don't know if this forum will be a huge success or not, I created it out of requests from viewers, so we'll see how many actually join... If it takes off, I'll be tickled pink!! If it flops, I'll simply remove it.

A little about me?!?

HMMM I'll give a little info... I've been in the electronics field since 1991, with experience ranging from TV/VCR repair all the way to industrial electronics for a very large and well known manufacturer. I started in computers in 1994, just for a change and something I thought would be more challenging.... First of all, in the computer field, I AM NOT a number cruncher (programmer) YUK!!!!! I'm a hardware/network guy... I can install any OS, repair and make it work, but sitting and typing code is more boring than watching flies mate!! So I stick to hardware!! I get the 'thrill' from coming up with cures for problems, creative and USEFUL mods (this DOES NOT include neon lights and corny batman windows in my cases)...

Before the VP6 was around, Abit's poster child was the BP6, dual celeron board... Being one of the pioneers to run dual Coppermines in my BP6 was quite a thrill... Then came the VP6, and the dreaded crap cap problem... Thus was born PROJECT:VP6, which is over a year old... It can be viewed at www.kabalsrealm.com/systems/projects/vp6/. That single article ultimately led to badcaps.net and this forum... I was shocked at the publicity it drew...

A little inside info?!?
      Well, age?! I'll say late 20's and that's close enough... I enjoy dealing with the computers, all of this is just a hobby these days, so if it did flop, it's no loss... I'm also a car nut... (300ZX!!!)... I also enjoy flying immencely, although, no I don't own an airplane... YET!!! Maybe if I sell off all this computer junk, I could afford one... HEH I own 3 domain names, and host sites for a few friends on this array... Of course they pay me nothing... HMMM Ohh well... Money isn't all... That's about all I think needs to be revealed... If there's something you really need to know about me, ask... The answer all depends on the question you asked...

Comment

Learning board repair, happy to be here.

Comment

Hello from Germany,
          I have problems with my PC - that is why I am here :-)

Comment

Hello from UK,
            I LOVE PC - that is why I am here READY TO LEARN!

Comment

Hi, I'm from in Paris my first system was a AMSTRAD 6128.
              I just decided to join your lovely forums. I found this place while looking to unlock the BIOS on an HP Probook 650G1 that my brother gave me. I hope to have fun here, learning more about computer electronics.

Comment

Hello,

Like many I'm here because I forgot my bios password

Tazoo

Comment

Hey from New York, I'm here to learn more about electronics

Comment

Saludos comunidad, no solo espero apoyo, deseo aportar algo a ustedes aunque soy muy novato trato de ayudar en lo posible, gracias

Comment

Hi,
                      I am back to my hacking activities after a while pursuing other interests.
                      Currently trying to repair several laptops refusing stubbornly to boot.
                      As such I am looking after technics to reflash bios chips.
                      My soldering iron is already ready !

Cheers !

Comment

Hello!
                        i al New in the forum

Comment

Hello all!
                          here to absorb all the thinkpad knowledge I can get, and maybe whatever else I can get by osmosis

Comment

Hello Everyone
                            I'm Al and have been working with PC for a long time... I just through this site was cool and also need help with my current challenges..
                            Regards

Comment

Hey! I'm Evan, and I work in IT in the Hampton Roads, VA area. I found this forum as I was looking for a solution to unlock a Lenovo laptop BIOS, and I'm glad to see such a dedicated community happening in here! I've been handy with tech since I was a teen, but didn't decide to go full-bore into tech work until more recently. I'm working on learning hardware and Linux sysadmin stuff, with the goal of learning programming as well. Thanks for letting me in! I'm most certainly not the most expert person in here, but if there's anything I can do to help folks with PC hardware stuff or homelab recommendations, I'm more than happy to! I've got a nice Ubuntu Server homelab in progress, using an old Dell Optiplex desktop I've tricked out with storage/RAM/dual NICs, and I'm having a blast.

Comment

Jack of all trades, and not a very good one.

Comment

Hi all,

I am a 40 year old electronic repair technician with own shop. I did tv's only and switched to laptops and videocards, because of the demand of it. I am still needing some experience with videocards.
                                  Electronics has always been a big interest in my life and cant really do any other work the this,

Kind Regards,
                                  Inse

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                                    As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread "clean" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                                    So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                                    where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said "w00t.. they have a forum"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                                    tank so much

Comment

Hi, everyone! I (finally) discovered this forum while searching for why an LG TV would start up okay, and then lose video after a few seconds. Anyway, it took 20 years to find you all, but here I am.😁
                                      I'm a retired electrical engineer/computer scientist/physician, and I've worked (and played) with analog and digital hardware as well as software for decades. I've also "collected" some vintage equipment over the years and decided that it would be nice to restore some them. This looks like a great place to discover and share ideas/solutions, and I'm looking forward to participating as best I can.
                                      Oh, and happy 2024! Can you believe it???

Comment

Hi all from a new member and greetings to the community. I am a maker and usually play around with any kind of electronic equipment in my spare time. I was aware of that capacitor problem, but I never found a web site having so much in-depth information and pratical help to tackle this sad topic.

Thanks and I wish you a happy 2024!

Comment

Hi all,

I'm a civil engineering student who's always had a passion for computers and electronics. As I slowly start to gain autonomy in my life, I'm beginning to want to experiment with tinkering with computer components. Having never followed any "traditional" computer science/electronic science/computer repair courses or classes, I heavily rely on online resources to learn more about anything related to electronics.

Happy New Year, don't drink and drive.

Comment

Working...
                                          X