This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

My name is Dick (not a nickname for Richard) Dick was my mothers last name. I am new at this, so here goes. I live in the little town of Ridgway (no e) CO which is somewhat in the boonies. I am a DIYer and build model stationery steam engines, and can fix most anything mechanical and electronic. Our Jenn-Air Model SVD48600B drop in gas stove top/electric oven display goes dim when we use the oven. I have read a number of posts that address this problem but would like some more info. Such as: how to get to the display (can figure it out but it would be faster with some directions)for this model range.
    Last edited by gdo711; 11-01-2010, 03:17 PM. Reason: left some stuff out.

Comment

Hi, my name is sergio
      Am trying to improve my litlle knowle in electronic trogouth this forum, althoug am in the electronic issues since 1972 (yes! when the bulbs you have to take was so hot that you blow your fingers and palm your leg), now everything change so fast, the LCD is so diferent to the CRT that studing every day seems not to be enough. So counting with your help I think will get faster the new tecnology. Thanks to everybody.

Comment

Well my first post:
        The monitor flatron LG W1934S have at the back the simbol of a padlok, so I dont know how to open it to acces the inner parts and the service manual is not available.

Comment

Well here goes.
          My name is Dale and am a CEET but been away from the component level for so many years I have forgot more than I remember. SO time to start reading up and reparing some of the back log at home.
          Thanks
          Dale

Comment

Hello All

While my first computer back in the early 80's was a Radio shack TRS80-III with a whole 4k of memory and a cassette drive for storing programs, those were the days.

After a whole lot of money I upgraded it to have a floppy disk and then a hard drive. The hard drive cost so many $$$$ back then that today you can get a 60 inch Lcd/LED tv, and a few more toys.. (what was I thinking)

I am a electronics technologist and started working on equipment with vacuum-tubes and have watch the progression now to parts I can barely see.

The good news or bad is here we are many years later and electronics still have the same problems they fail... its kept me employed for many years... and i am sure it will continue to do so....

Comment

Hey I'm new my name is Salvador and I think that this is a very nice web site for those how want to share their knowledge and learn at the same time, I personal staring in the component level repair, I taking classes of electronics engineering nothing big yet but I'm in the proses, I'm very happy to find this web site because I'm going to learn a lot from here and if I can help I will be more than happy to doe.

Comment

Hi, they call me drdave, Ive been doing computer repair for 28 years and still do component level stuff, though usually for myself as customers rareley pay the rate these days! I was a service center for Ssung - anyone want all the old monitor schematics?
                Im in MD / USA
                Got here thanks to a post regarding Apple Mirror Door G4 Power supply - Wish i could find a schematic, but the info here is the next best thing.
                I cant begin to tell ya how many repairs have been CAPS !! - especially since the bad cap scam years ago, im STILL finding fallout from those (stolen formula was wrong and used in millions of electrolytic caps some years back - find em EVERYWHERE !!
                worse in the small caps or ones with oddly small sizes for the value of the cap.
                please EMAIL me if you have a schematic for these series PS units. aAnd thanks for helping ! - drd

Comment

Hi BadCaps !

I'm actually slowly experiencing hardware repairing. I have worked a in embedded devices, on the software side (6800 68000 various PIC) so i have a general comprehension of hardware rather good.

But i definitively lack experience, eye shot, and quick troubleshooting, which most of you own here.

Long life to BadCaps

Comment

Hello my name is Darin and I'm a complete noob here but thought I should say "Hi", and give a brief intro.

I have very little electronics experience but interested in learning. I have fixed a couple LCD monitors with bad caps, but only by following what others have done on the internet.

I hope to learn more from the gurus here and maybe be able to fix some more equipment as I always seem to find something to work on.

And thanks for the great forum.

Comment

HI All
                      I'm Steve
                      Im from hartlepool England, my job is civil engineering but im quite handy with mechanical items and a soldering iron and I like to fix things rather than chuck them out, no experience of electronics, I found this great forum searching about fixing viewsonic monitors, but thats for another thread

regards
                      Steve

Comment

hello! i'm from Russia, Moscow. =)

Comment

My name is Andy Graybeal. I live in southeastern Ohio. I've been purchasing machines from the local university auction and need help repairing them.
                          I'm happy this forum exists

-Andy

Comment

The names George located in the UK. Have been an electronics design engineer for longer than I care to admit and now thanks to the introduction of SMPS in equipment there's enough repair work to solve the worlds unemployment problems!.
                            Perhaps we should push for a law making manufactures provide schematics for their equipment (like the old days!!) this might result in less going to landfill sites.
                            Anyway, congrats on an interesting forum and a good name.

George

Comment

hello, just joined

Trying to recap a gigabyte GA-8IE533 need it to run two older HP Plotters and some cad software.

I noticed you don't have a gigabyte kit.

but I found a post on recapping the motherboard, anyway if you were able to assemble a kit for around 25 USD that included additionals I would be grateful panny's would be great too.

thanks, and hello topcat

Comment

Hello everybody.
                                I'm a mid-aged electronics maniac from Italy.
                                I'm just about to recap a F1523 HP monitor, and while looking for the schematics I stumbled on your site... and I like it!!!
                                I like it especially because I'm not new to save electronic equipment from the waste and... I must say I love to do it.
                                Seems to me so pointless throwing away otherwise perfect pieces of hardware, just because some poor-minded production chief decided to save a bunch of 0,$$ or 0,€€ on chemical caps !!!!!!
                                Looks like the only important thing is to cross the warranty lifetime, while we are buried under tons of waste. Nonsense.
                                Thank you, and keep up the good work !!!

Comment

New member - EE who does networking stuff. Need to get an old board recapped to keep the costs of life down, <grin>. (XMAS is coming)

Comment

G'Day from Western Australia

My name is Reynald, I am from French descent but now live in Australia, Western Australia in the great South West. I worked in Germany as an Elektronik Mechanik for Landys and Gyr. dabble with radio, computer and anything electrical since the beginning of time .The first computer I got was an IMSAI 8088 ,then later got a Sinclair with 1k ram, the a Microbee ( australian made) and then a C64, 286 and all the rest, I started to salvage some lcd monitors after discovering bad caps, but some faults do escape me. Despite been geriatrics I cannot stay away from problems and challenges, aside of comp and electronic toys I am a microscopist too ( to the despair of my wife who object to ditch water in jars ( wonder why )) I can be found for more details on the Hutt River Province web site under security.
                                    I think I will have a lot of fun reading all those goodies.
                                    Have a great day to all
                                    Reynald

Comment

Hi all, just joined as I am looking for help and everywhere I go leads me to this forum - you guys/gals must be good!

I will post the request in the relevant section.

Comment

Hello everyone, living near Detroit Michigan. Have worked in computer repair for about 12 years. Just looking to get some info on repairing some different types of monitors. Already learned a bunch! Thanks.

Comment

Well, here i am, new member if this place! im from the middle of New South Wales, Australia.. only in the last few years I've been getting a grip of caps can be the main failure of system, power supplies, and any other electrical items, i have gotten 1 motherboard and one LCD screen restored by a cheap-kludged-shopped cap swap (aka, used same specs from other systems, not specifically for the use)...

so, Hello to you good people!

Comment

Working...
                                          X