This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Good to be here got a welcome Email from "Topcat" and hope to find what i am looking for here on badcaps.net
    I also want to share back knowledge en help where I can.

Thanks in advance !!
    regards Mapino

Comment

Hope I'm in the right place to say HI as a new member, assuming I am I'll plod on, despite being an electronics engineer all my life (now retired) I am rubbish with computers, I can fix em ok, just rubbish with the software LoL.

Well I started out in life as a radio Comm's engineer, we are talking about the early 1970's by the way, I did this for a few years, but had the misfortune of having an RTA, it was more of an occupational hazard as being a field comm's engineer my patch was the whole of the UK! doing typically 50-60K miles a year, and this at a time when there was not a lot of motorways!

After the RTA I could not drive for a while, so I found a local job at a teacher training college, (I also found my wife here too), this turned out to be a fun job as they were setting up a TV studio, out side the BBC and ITV there were no other TV studios as such at this time, they wanted to make training videos, yes I have to put my hand up and say I was one of those making those awful Black& White TV programs for the Open University that went out at about 02:00 in the mornings, we almost fell asleep making them so how those watching stayed awake I have no idea! remember this was before the days of home video recorders! well there were a few about for the very rich, if you had about £1200 you could afford one. this was a fun time as it was all new, being education there was next to no budget, we started off with a government grant, but that soon ran out so we ended up making a lot of the equipment, including a sound mixer and a Black & White vision mixer, and some years later a colour Vision mixer, and getting paid to make stuff, well it was cool! and fun. Happy days.
      Some years later I returned to the radio comm's world, sadly after about a year the firm folded and I was looking for another job, and I found myself working for the Devon and Cornwall Constabulary, electronics was making it's way in to the criminal world, I worked there for fifteen years and finished up as chief engineer, how did I finish there I hear you ask? well, it was yet another RTA (bit of a patten forming here), I could say something like I was rushing to a job and . . . But the truth was, Yes I was rushing to a job, but an old boy of 98 years came down a long hill behind me where I was waiting at a junction, the old boy missed the brake pedal and hit the gas pedal, and then hit me! pushing me out into on coming traffic where I got 'T-Boned' by a van, this RTA left me off work for nine months, oh, and in a Wheelchair, I did return to work for a while but I was deemed unfit to work again and so I took early retirement, but I still enjoy my electronics, it is in my blood, I used to really enjoy audio recording, but my hearing was significantly damaged in the RTA so I don't do that much, but I have tried to get bak into that more recently by making my own large diaphragm microphones, i'm also a long time Licensed Radio Ham since 1979, my other hobby is messing about with a metal lathe, I got in to this because I wanted to take up target shooting, but not working I could not afford a target air-rifle, so I did what I always do and set about making one, I mean how hard can it be? well as it turned out quite hard, I knew nothing about metal, lathes or pneumatics and air rifles use 3000PSI, so I had a steep learning curve, my first rifle took me eighteen months and was Rubbish! -But it worked! the next one took me six months and it was quite good, the next was also six months and if I say it my self does work rather well, I have now made several most are with friends and family and all are still working, but electronics is still my first love.
      So that's me, I hope I am an acceptable member for the forum, I really hope I have put this in the right place, or I'm going to look a little silly.

I was born and brought up in Devon and now live in Lancashire UK near my daughters and grand kids.

Pete.

Comment

Hello! New to the forum

Comment

Hello! New to the forum. I don't know a whole lot but I'm interested to learn. Found this forum while searching around for a fix for my HP probook.

Comment

Hello, thank you for allowing me to join this forum. My name is Bobby from Clover SC, USA. I enjoy tinkering with electronics and metal fabrication.

Comment

Hello everybody!

I am a tech enthusiast that recently came with a laptop issue and found this forum very helpful and decided to join. I am from Spain and I would like to remain as iZakre instead of my real name.

Regards.

Comment

Hi everyone I’m a electronics newbie that wants to learn a lot from you guys,
                I’m from Spain sorry about my English

Comment

Hello, my name is Lucas and I've been waiting a few days to receive privileges and be able to start a topic, it was a shame I didn't read the welcome message, this could have been resolved a while ago haha, I have no experience with electronics, I'm just an adventurer, i hope one day to be like you
                  in my first topic I will post if anyone knows about a schematic of a motherboard with the name v.n875k of the monitors VG279Q1R or VG249Q1R, either one of the two works after all visually the board is completely the same, it can be a boardviewr but preferably a schematic , have a great working week everyone and remember; buy Bitcoin and the state is a thief, Lula is even more of a thief.

Comment

Hi guys, looking forward to find precious SMD marking codes here

Comment

Hello. I found this place when looking for some info to repair a vintage APC UPS. I'm not an EE or anything, and very novice with board level repair. I had been using a crappy soldering iron for many years with limited success, but started doing a lot of work with LED lighting and home automation, which gave me the need to solder things onto board pads in order to flash them with custom firmwares, so I got a nice, temperature controlled soldering iron for Christmas. Now I'm learning a little bit more about circuitry, and looking forward to doing a deeper level of repairs. The site was already been a great resource.

Comment

Hello! Long time reader, first time member. Thanks for all the knowledge about TV and electronics repairs!

Comment

Hello!

Comment

Nothing profound to say, just had some questions I thought would be nice to get an answer or opinion on in the forums. IanDE is my username here simply because I could not think of one and Ian is my first 3D character but he Doesn't Exist, silly right??!

Comment

hi guys, Im Carlos, Im brasilian but I live in Portugal now, so thank you for accepting me here.

Comment

Hello !
                                Thank you for your help

Comment

Hi, just a beginner on eletronics repair, hope i can add to the community some day

Comment

Hi everyone, hope i can learn and also add to the community

Comment

been lurking through forum thread posts here on bios modding for the past couple of months. while i did not get the results i was looking for, i hope clarifications and hopefully some knowledge building can happen.

Comment

Might be having an issue here. cant create a new thread after making a couple of posts, read a few faq's and maybe i missed something. please advise.

from what i read
                                        1.activate account through email link (done)
                                        2.post in new members thread (done)
                                        3.read site rules (done)

Things are working now. Mods, please delete if you deem appropriate.
                                        Last edited by charleslam; 02-20-2023, 11:56 AM. Reason: Things are working now.

Comment

hello, i'm new in this forum. I'm french, 42 years old.
                                          I build pcs for my friends and repair some of them when i can.
                                          I've a dell optiplex 3240 that shows some strange message when it boots.
                                          That's why i'm here for now ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                          X