Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your Samsung NU model series backlight failures and diffuser melt-downs here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your Samsung NU model series backlight failures and diffuser melt-downs here

Originally posted by Comintel View Post
    Since you are in the UK, would this be the correct part?

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/p/samsung-b...65a~p57513537/
    I am not sure but very interested I thought there was no source for these in the UK, thank you

Comment

Re: Post your Samsung NU model series backlight failures and diffuser melt-downs here

Aren't they available on aliexpress, seems like china is trying to make everything, no sense in paying double or more, unless your in a rush.

Comment

Has anyone of you ever swapped out the logic board in a NU (or other Samsung) with a more feature-rich board from another model (with a broken panel)?

I'm kind of curious about doing that, using a board from a RU, but I don't know if it's likely to be able to drive the LCD. The tvs look pretty much identical except for the logic board of course (and slight differences in the PSU). Do you think there's a chance?

And to not stray from the topic: this ue55nu7096u was the first TV I tried to repair (made in 2018, dead 2022 -- disgraceful), and it had a pretty much flawless light spreader despite dead LEDs. I feel left out.

It works fine, but even so it's an unending source of me wondering whether Samsung really is this bad at design in all their products? The light sensor is pointed DOWNWARDS and if your furniture is black then congratulations, you'll have 0% backlight at all times. Genius. Apparently all furniture is glossy and white in South Korea. The software is amateuristic and can't even save basic settings between power cycles, like whether you've removed the regular "TV" source from your favorites. It resets in a day or so. Even the remote control is absolute shit — every button has the same shape (rectangular) so you have no idea where your finger is resting unless you look at it.

Comment

43NU7120 bought late 2018. First symptom small dark areas along the bottom of the screen above leds. Two of these areas grew until I had a couple of areas above them that weren't backlit at all.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by zwarder View Post
            I am not sure but very interested I thought there was no source for these in the UK, thank you
            Onbuy want £400 delivery fee ! Not going to happen !
            Customers leds have failed after 6 months although he uses the tv 8 hours a day. Not sure its really worth another fix.
            Ebay also have
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404579473566

Comment

Saw a psu modification, R9101 & R9102 changed to 3R9 2W resistors on the UN50NU**** model to protect new backlights

Comment

I was a recent victim to the burnt Samsung backlight LED's and LGP melt down.

TV Model is UN55JS9000

I had started noticing some image degradation for quite some time but it wasn't until most recently where about 75-80% of the screen was really dim. This led me to start looking online and noticed this was a common issue with these and similar models of Samsung TV's.

In the attached pictures you can see several examples showing bright spots on the TV, dark edges where the LED's had burnt out, and several pictures showing the burnt+cracked LGP along with the burnt LED strips.

This TV model is edge lit so there is an LED strip along each side of the TV. Both sides were affected in the same manner but I have only posted pictures for one side.

It's a shame the quality that Samsung delivered on these TV's and what's even worse is the technical support (or lack of) that they provide.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Anonmis View Post
                  I was a recent victim to the burnt Samsung backlight LED's and LGP melt down.

TV Model is UN55JS9000

I had started noticing some image degradation for quite some time but it wasn't until most recently where about 75-80% of the screen was really dim. This led me to start looking online and noticed this was a common issue with these and similar models of Samsung TV's.

In the attached pictures you can see several examples showing bright spots on the TV, dark edges where the LED's had burnt out, and several pictures showing the burnt+cracked LGP along with the burnt LED strips.

This TV model is edge lit so there is an LED strip along each side of the TV. Both sides were affected in the same manner but I have only posted pictures for one side.

It's a shame the quality that Samsung delivered on these TV's and what's even worse is the technical support (or lack of) that they provide.
                  This one sucks in particular because it's edgelit from the sides and really hard to come across another diffuser for this model. The bottom edgelit are much easier to source.

Comment

Originally posted by Biruslapio View Post

This thread will never die, the crap that samsung made lives on burning and cracking diffusers forever.

I took a NU 55 inch for repair, but warned the owner that it would not come back 100% because the cost of a new diffuser here is absurd + the shipping for something that big, and no 55 NU or similar TVs with cracked screen for sale around here.

The cracks were already visible, half of the screen was dark, so one of the LED strips died.

Upon opening this hellish screwless design and having almost a heart attack to take the panel off without damaging it, I was met with a big meltdown on the left side(from the front) and some cracks on the acrylic.

I just replaced the leds and inverted the diffuser thinking it would produce a good picture, bad mistake since it was horrible, all bright on the bottom and very dark in middle to top.

Dismantled the TV again and found out that sliding the diffuser to the non burnt bottom parts made it much better, so I took a plier and for 40 minutes painstankingly clipped around 1.2cm of the left side of the diffuser, that did it, only the small cracks were visible, but the lighting was very uniform, the LED strips at bottom of the TV heat up a lot.

I enabled energy saving to low and kept backlight at 40 for all inputs, and told the owner to not raise it or it would happen again and be even worse to repair.

PS: the third picture is before clipping, and the last is the final result.

Thank you for this suggestion. this is by far the best solution i found.

Also this is my first TV repair. I have attached before and after pictures. before removing nearly a 1cm from the right side, first I marked the line with a pencil and used a kitchen knife to mark the line "like a glass cutter". I did it several times in both sides and then using a plier to remove it piece by piece. you can see the removed parts in the picture. Before assembling I did shift the diffuser from left to right to find the sweet spot and use dot of hot glue in both the upper corner of the diffuser so it will stay in the right place.

I would say this is a good result as an amateur

Thank you!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X