Panasonic SA-HT820V Home Theater System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panasonic SA-HT820V Home Theater System

While the F04 error is displayed, push the STOP button, does the display change? It seems like the fault is with the vcr section, so far anyway, try loading an old tape, something that is not valuable in case it eats it.
    Last edited by R_J; 03-06-2021, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      While the F04 error is displayed, push the STOP button, does the display change? It seems like the fault is with the vcr section, so far anyway, try loading an old tape, something that is not valuable in case it eats it.
      No, Stop doesn't do anything. I put a tape in and it doesnt do anything, just stays on F04 and won't eject it.

When i plug it in, these start moving then stop and F04 pops up.
      Attached Files

Comment

The capstan drives the takeup/supply reels that is why they are spinning, the drum will also be on at the same time.
        It could be that the loading basket is jammed and causing the mechanism to not complete it's cycle, I would remove the loading basket and re alighn it with the lower gear.

Comment

The capstan drives the takeup/supply reels that is why they are spinning, the drum will also be on at the same time.
          It could be that the loading basket is jammed and causing the mechanism to not complete it's cycle, I would remove the loading basket and re alighn it with the lower gear.
          Where is that located? Here's a pic of underneath if it's there.
          Attached Files

Comment

With the mechanism out, can you take a picture of the circuit board which would be just below it? I would like to see the position of the mode switch.
            It does look like the mechanism is slightly off. The white plastic between the capstan motor and the idler drive wheel has a small hole in it and it seems to be correctly aligned with the hole in the chassis. at this point the wheel with the 4 small holes and the elongated hole should be a bit more counter clockwise. The elongated hole should be straight left of the gears center pin. You should be able to spin the loading motor to move this gear.
            Then the mode switch should have a pin that will fit into that elongated hole when the chassis is re installed (carefully)
            The original problem might be that the mode switch needs to be cleaned. as the contacts can get tarnished over time from lack of use.
            Here is a picture of what it should look like in the correct position.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by R_J; 03-06-2021, 10:03 PM.

Comment

With the mechanism out, can you take a picture of the circuit board which would be just below it? I would like to see the position of the mode switch.
              It does look like the mechanism is slightly off. The white plastic between the capstan motor and the idler drive wheel has a small hole in it and it seems to be correctly aligned with the hole in the chassis. at this point the wheel with the 4 small holes and the elongated hole should be a bit more counter clockwise. The elongated hole should be straight left of the gears center pin. You should be able to spin the loading motor to move this gear.
              Then the mode switch should have a pin that will fit into that elongated hole when the chassis is re installed (carefully)
              The original problem might be that the mode switch needs to be cleaned. as the contacts can get tarnished over time from lack of use.
              Here is a picture of what it should look like in the correct position.

Dont know why its posting the pics sideways. But the front is facing right if it matters. And a closer look at what I believe you are referring to.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by CapsDude; 03-07-2021, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Have you changed the position of the mode switch or is this where it was when the mechanism was removed? It is in the wrong position, The pin should be where the arrow is pointing and the mechanism gear when aligned properly will have the pin go into the slotted hole in the gear. Be careful when lowering the mechanism so that the drum motor plug is not damaged.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by R_J; 03-07-2021, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Have you changed the position of the mode switch or is this where it was when the mechanism was removed? It is in the wrong position, The pin should be where the arrow is pointing and the mechanism gear when aligned properly will have the pin go into the slotted hole in the gear. Be careful when lowering the mechanism so that the drum motor plug is not damaged.
                  Ok, the F04 isn't popping up anymore after moving the pin. Thank you. Still won't power up when I power, just shows the clock. Something in the power board?

Comment

Have you tried loading a tape to see if it turns on? There may be a problem with the power button command not getting to the main micro, ie: another cable issue?

Comment

Have you tried loading a tape to see if it turns on? There may be a problem with the power button command not getting to the main micro, ie: another cable issue?
                      I just put one and the VCR side turned on and then I pressed play and it didn't do anything. I pressed eject, ejected it about halfway and then took it back and now it's saying F06.

Comment

It could be (very likely) that the mode switch contacts need cleaning, the can be opened and cleaned.
                        Last edited by R_J; 03-07-2021, 07:44 PM.

Comment

It could be (very likely) that the mode switch contacts need cleaning, the can be opened and cleaned.
                          How do you open it? Just pull it up?

And what is this part? It keeps coming off and it was off when I was testing it with the tape.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by CapsDude; 03-07-2021, 08:37 PM.

Comment

That is just a ground wire, it goes under that missing screw, see this picture. Sometimes you can just pop the top part of the mode switch off, It is held in place by 4 little tabs but to get to them you need to remove the board from the vcr plastic case. Once it is open you can use an eraser or q-tip to clean the contacts or better is a fiberglass burnishing brush. then I re apply the contact grease.
                            If the switch has grease in it, try and salvage it, clean the contacts, then reapply it just to coat the lower contacts to prevent them from oxidizing.

Here is a video of a guy cleaning a similar mode switch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2HXUaLe2vI (starts at about 6:00)
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by R_J; 03-07-2021, 09:24 PM.

Comment

That is just a ground wire, it goes under that missing screw, see this picture. Sometimes you can just pop the top part of the mode switch off, It is held in place by 4 little tabs but to get to them you need to remove the board from the vcr plastic case. Once it is open you can use an eraser or q-tip to clean the contacts or better is a fiberglass burnishing brush. then I re apply the contact grease.
                              If the switch has grease in it, try and salvage it, clean the contacts, then reapply it just to coat the lower contacts to prevent them from oxidizing.

Here is a video of a guy cleaning a similar mode switch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2HXUaLe2vI (starts at about 6:00)
                              Looks clean already but I took an eraser to it. Took some grease from another part and applied it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I put everything back together and plugged it in. It turned on and ejected the tape but now the screen looks like this lol. There was an odor when it started up like something blew.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by CapsDude; 03-07-2021, 11:15 PM.

Comment

That is a different type of mode switch, the top piece rotates and pushes the switch fingers down to make contact, so the place where they make contact needs to be cleaned. As for the display, I have no idea but it looks like you did something, I suspect you shorted something while working on it. maybe you damaged another flat cable? Recheck your work, I suspect something with the front panel got damaged.
                                  Last edited by R_J; 03-08-2021, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I don't believe this was there before.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CapsDude View Post
                                      I don't believe this was there before.
                                      Yes it was, that is the getter for the fl display, The display itself is working or you would have nothing lit up at all, it is the drive to it that is messed up, either the misplay micro or its missing a voltage. Try and find out what burnt, There must have been something assemble wrong or something.

Comment

I didn't notice anything visually, but I found a leaky cap on the power board.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CapsDude View Post
                                          I didn't notice anything visually, but I found a leaky cap on the power board.
                                          That is glue, the cap is not leaking, even if it was bad it would not cause the display to be like it is.
                                          Last edited by R_J; 03-08-2021, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X