Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digihome (Vestel) LED Backlighting Problem

Hello forum,

Hoping to find some advice. My TV isn't working. It's a "Digihome" set - a low cost brand for the UK I think, but made by Vestel in Turkey. Model number DLF401080FVHD. 40 inch OLED. I've had it for about two years. It was very cheap but I've been happy with it - it has performed surprisingly well.

Until this morning. It has suddenly developed a problem where the screen goes blank a short time after switching the set on - typically a minute or two. The sound still works. I've done the "torch test" in a darkened room and the screen image is still visible, so it looks like the screen is intact. The backlights go out though - can see them clearly through the back of the case when they're working (and when they're not). Also once or twice I had a slightly different problem where the picture was visible but the left hand side of the screen was a lot dimmer than the right hand side (for a short while, until the whole thing went black again).

A bit of research tells me the likely culprit is the LED inverter/driver.

Now...I've taken the back off the TV and had a look around. There's nothing obviously wrong - nothing looks burnt, no obvious broken connections, everything seems clean, etc. I took some photos - included here. Two circuit boards mounted at the back - a yellow one which looks like a power supply and a green one which seems to handle all the inputs & outputs.

There is what looks like possibly an additional long, thin circuit board right at the bottom of the set (hard to access). Is that likely to be the LED inverter down there hiding at the bottom?

Has anyone seen this set before? Or able to help me identify which bit I might need to look at repairing/replacing (if indeed I'm able to get spare parts for this model)?

Given the low price of the set, only a cheap DIY fix is feasible - otherwise I'll just sell it for spare parts and buy a new one. Shame though.

Grateful for any advice. Reasonable degree of DIY/electrical knowledge, but far from being an expert on TV design.

Thanks!
    Alan.
    Attached Files

Re: Digihome (Vestel) LED Backlighting Problem

Hi mate no an OLED set but just regular Led junk (no offense) sounds like to me there is a connection issue between the Led strips inside the panel.

Watch this hopefully help you diagnose it, it also shows how to bridge over the Led link connectors which breakdown over time but thats a little later on in the video:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=Led+stacking

Also if you consider selling it I will have it love fixing these Vestels but hopefully my video proves of some use, but be VERY CAREFUL of the Lcd screen !
    Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 08-17-2016, 03:27 PM.
    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Brilliant, thank you very much. Will have a closer look tomorrow. The inside of the telly in the YouTube video looks very similar to the inside of mine.

Alan

Comment

No worries mate, also yes it is as its basically the 32" version of your set which uses a VES315 (32") panel rather than VES400 (40") just another brand that uses Vestel chassis
        Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

It does sound like led problems from your description.
          Once you find the faulty leds you can stack the replacement leds which is a low cost solution.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RxwdC7V5Ue0

Flocko on this site can help you with replacement leds.
          Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Right then...

Steady 25V in the red wire connecting PSU to screen when the screen is working ok.

And when the screen goes blank...I don't know because this morning it won't go blank! Bloody thing is working perfectly.

I'll keep checking on it...

Comment

Ah, that's better.

Screen goes blank.

Voltage drops to zero.

Faint high pitched humming noise coming from the PSU board.

Switch off and on again. Humming noise disappears, screen lights up, 28V at the red terminal.

And so on...

PSU dying?

Comment

Even if there is a fault in the Led strings there should be 24v (unboosted) on the Psu at all times, whats the psu voltage going to the Leds when its working and when it fails I dont think you have tested it correctly ?

Comment

When the screen is working: 24V - 28V (seems to vary a bit each time), PSU is silent

When the screen goes blank: 0V, humming noise from PSU

Comment

More detailed answer...if it helps.

There are three wires going from PSU to screen. Red, brown, black.

When the screen is working: 28V red, 28V brown, 72V black. PSU is silent.

Now waiting for the screen to go blank again so that I can check the voltages for all three wires in that state.

Comment

When the screen goes blank: 0.2V red, 0.2V brown, 27V black. PSU buzzing noise.

Comment

I'm waffling on a bit. I suppose my question is: do these voltage readings tend to confirm the suggestion that it's an LED failure (rather than the PSU playing up)?

Comment

The Psu is fine, the black is the boosted voltage not ground. The fault is in the Leds you need to take the panel apart as shown in my video mate

Comment

Ah ok, understood. Thanks. Just wanted to check first before I take everything apart. Will follow the video and see how I get on...

Might report back here in due course. If I'm ever in Telford, I owe you a pint.

Comment

Its fine haha, glad to help matey

Also the fault will be the little Led connector blocks is my bet not a failed Led so bridge over them with solid wire.

Comment

Right. I'm in.

Back to the YouTube video and a cuppa.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Couldn't find any obvious problems with the connector blocks and the two long thin circuit boards at the top - connections seem to be intact.

36 LEDs in total.

Found an old 7.2V battery pack thingy. Used it to connect to 2 LEDs at a time (so as not to fry them).

33 LEDs lit up lovely and bright.

3 were dead.

So presumably - unless I'm missing something - this is the source of the problem - correct?

And what would have caused 3 LEDs to fail all at the same time? Will this keep happening? Are there better quality LED strips that I can get hold of?
                                  Last edited by bigalxyz; 08-18-2016, 10:14 AM.

Comment

They are shorted them Leds are, however they will not be causing it to shut off. Bridge over the connectors with solid wire as they fail intermittently. You should also replace the Leds. Also to stop them failing again simply turn the backlight down from high to low and problem solved, the cause is Vestel over drive them to get better brightness

Comment

Think this might help...

Thinking out loud...

All LEDs in the 4th and 5th strips tested ok so I guess these two strips are where I should bridge over the little connectors.

And then replace the 3 broken LEDs (marked with black arrows in marker pen)

Middle strip has 8 LEDs instead of 7, and 3 connectors at the end (2 minus, 1 plus), which is a bit odd. The three LEDs nearest the connector on that strip aren't lit up but they do work, so again suspect I need to bridge over the relevant connectors on that middle strip.

Better get that soldering iron out.

Seem to be quite a few LED strips for cheap on eBay so I ought to be able to find some on there I guess.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by bigalxyz; 08-18-2016, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Yes replace the Led but bridge over all the connectors ! I always do this when I get these Vestel panels they are all time bombs waiting to fail.

Comment

Working...
                                        X