Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another LG 60PV450 Z-Sustain issue, maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another LG 60PV450 Z-Sustain issue, maybe?

FWIW, I saw this last night... claim to be from new sets, and with Amazon protection it should be a safe bet if you are willing to try: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Comment

Thank You.

Ordered !

We shall see, I had a long updated typed up but my "token expired" and so did the update.

More tonight when I get back.

Further repairs to the bad EBay board have moved me forward, a little.

Comment

Hey so first off I'd like to thanks everyone who contributed to this thread , I resodered the connection aND saved my tv model 60pv450, but but still have one more issue . I have one thin horizontal line about a 3rd of the way to the top of the screen. This also occurred same time the purple blotches appeared, looking for any feedback . Another bad soder point , bad ribbon ? . I have pictures but not sure on how to upload here . Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Heres a picture
          Attached Files

Comment

Did you disconnect the upper or lower buffers at any time? If not then it's either bad panel or you have a buffer IC about to fail.

If you did remove the buffers try and reseat the ribbon cable on that portion of the screen (with the unit off) you can be a little forceful you should feel 1 hard click and another soft click when pushing in the ribbon cable.
            Last edited by Shinju; 08-03-2015, 09:28 PM.

Comment

So, despite more repairs to bad Ebay board, it still eventually clicks off, just not right away like before. Not going to drive myself crazy with this anymore, just waiting for refurb board from Amazon.

On the "more bad news" front, the Panny 4K got here. Single driver so I had to help him wrestle it into elevator, etc. We powered it up, pic looked good. Later in the day I got it assembled and in place, then I realized that the cute screen menu page that had little blue circles had one more circle then it should have. In fact the little blue circle was on everything. Tiny crack on lower right edge, leading to a 1" blue dot about 1" from bottom.

So, was damaged in shipment but due to design of the screen I signed off on, I couldn't see it. Contacted sales folks on Ebay, they said "Warranty issue for Panasonic". I have written Panasonic but am certain they will bounce me to Ebay folks.

I see myself getting a royal hosing. Will start separate thread. How does life produce this level of misery? I was looking for big obvious crack and black area or streaks/lines from broken LCD. Never knew they could camouflage themselves so effectively.

But the LG is still dark and silent, now hiding behind dining room table in shame. And I who have turned our apartment into a TV junkyard with two scrap TVs am in....the dog house.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by MVC; 08-04-2015, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MVC View Post

I see myself getting a royal hosing. Will start separate thread. How does life produce this level of misery? I was looking for big obvious crack and black area or streaks/lines from broken LCD. Never knew they could camouflage themselves so effectively.

But the LG is still dark and silent, now hiding behind dining room table in shame. And I who have turned our apartment into a TV junkyard with two scrap TVs am in....the dog house.
                I feel your pain... I went to Costco and looked at the LEDs they had on display in case my eBay repair thing fails. Even the $2900 4K Samsungs had uneven backlights. How is this acceptable? I did manage to get two Samsung 51" on order from this thread for $405 shipped, yesterday: http://slickdeals.net/f/8022419-new-...ipping-cowboom but so far no tracking numbers.

Going from 60" to 51" will not be great, but these should hold us over until OLED is prime, or something even better is available.

Comment

Re: Another LG 60PV450 Z-Sustain issue, RESOLVED !!!

I should have always trusted my thoughts, and thank you to the guy who found the Amazon deal.

It was in fact the Z-Sus.

And I learned something else....that "wrong" Z-Sus I tried....was working.

Today the Amazon box came. I dreaded having another special effects spark show but had to know. Tested the fuses on the board, they were good, so already better off then the bad Ebay board. I slapped some lead on the Coil joints to be Pro-active, Put it in, fired it up and.......

Orange screen with strange message about Input Incorrect...ie, the EXACT same screen I saw with the Z-Sustain from the earlier model. I turned it off and reseated all of the ribbon cables, pretty sure the LVDS was cockeyed from when I tried to run that self test.

Anyhow, turned it back on, screen perfect !!! But still a little wonky about inputs, although I can use Menu function and get to them. Maybe needs a reset.

So, lessons learned:

1. The über rare Z-Sus in these is a piece of crap. Not sure how, but mine failed in such a way that no fuses blew, all voltages tested OK, probably needed a scope to find actual fault.

2. The phrase "board is good, came from a TV with broken panel" actually translates to "I have no stinking idea if this board works, but I'm willing to roll the dice with your TV"

3. Soldering the coils on a flaky Z-Sus and not connecting all of the screws can lead to blowing up the Y-Sus. I don't know if it was going to blow anyway, or exactly what blew it but 2 of us had same result, PUT ALL THE SCREWS IN BEFORE PLUGGING IN. (which makes next one even more puzzling)

4.The Z-Sustain from the 60PK250 LG EBR63450501 (EAX61300301) could quite possibly be made to work. The image I saw briefly on mine was only screwed up due to my own mistake. I would not suggest this as a long term fix since only 3 or 4 of the ground screws went into chassis. But some knowledgeable soul could figure out a mod, especially as the correct Z-Sus for these TVs are as rare as hen's teeth and very fragile. Meanwhile that other Z-Sus can be had for $15 on Ebay, a small fraction of cost of correct board. I am guessing that the reason they are plentiful is that they aren't the weak link in the 60PK250, so the TVs die for another reason and these Z-Sus boards are laying around in piles. SOMEONE out there could figure out a way to make these work. If nothing else, you may be able to buy one of these to PROVE your Z-Sus is the issue before dropping $100+ for right one. Would be interesting if the FETs or some other part on these is better/ more robust and could be swapped over. Would be a cheap way to get parts. I am not going to risk blowing up my TV to experiment but if someone had one with dying display panel...I don't know. But pretty sure it could be made to work. Note that I placed thick insulating tape on back as some of the ground screw standoffs would have hit electrical connections and shorted to ground.

5. Double, triple, and quadruple check ribbon cable connections. I would have had answers much faster if I had not put LVDS back in sideways.

6. Add lead solder to those coil connections BEFORE yours takes a crap.

7. Be grateful for this board. And people who help you find the parts you need.

I am going to play with adding more/better heatsinks or small fans to Z-Sus and Y-Sus heatsinks. Would like the next trouble with this TV to be the panel getting old.

Now I'm off to start a thread about my cracked Panasonic 4K LCD that I bought to replace this now not-dead LG.
                  Last edited by MVC; 08-05-2015, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Re: Another LG 60PV450 Z-Sustain issue, RESOLVED !!!

I am going to play with adding more/better heatsinks or small fans to Z-Sus and Y-Sus heatsinks. Would like the next trouble with this TV to be the panel getting old.

Now I'm off to start a thread about my cracked Panasonic 4K LCD that I bought to replace this now not-dead LG.
                    So what Y-SUS did you end up with using along the Amazon Z-SUS to be working now? I'm hoping just my Z-SUS was busted up by missing the screws and the eBay guy will just send back the Y-SUS as good with it. Glad to hear you are back up and running. That 4K deal just sucks... I would still work with eBay on it, especially if you have a 100% rating.

Comment

I gave up on fixing the one that got sparky. I got a refurb one from Best Buy's parts division. Was shipped by ModusLink PTS from Bloomington for $67.

I am going to keep all these bad boards, though I hope to god I never need any of them. My folks had a Zenith 19" color they bought in 1973. Didn't need any repairs for more then 10 years. It was still limping along in their basement until recently. For something with such a pleasing screen to crap out at 3 years is criminal.

Comment

I gave up on fixing the one that got sparky. I got a refurb one from Best Buy's parts division. Was shipped by ModusLink PTS from Bloomington for $67.

I am going to keep all these bad boards, though I hope to god I never need any of them. My folks had a Zenith 19" color they bought in 1973. Didn't need any repairs for more then 10 years. It was still limping along in their basement until recently. For something with such a pleasing screen to crap out at 3 years is criminal.
                        Agreed on the time frame. I expected at least 7-8 years out of this thing. On a good note here, the samcomponents seller from California on eBay got back to me overnight about my Z and Y-SUS boards. Said the Z needed repair, but the Y is fine. I assume it was just the lack of proper ground, all my fault. In the end it will cost me $105 total, but I can be sure the Y is good to go now too.

I wonder if I need to test the buffers, but with the Y being OK, I would assume they are good too? I'm also tempted to buy one of the Amazon Z boards as a backup, but my luck would be another board crapping out 3-4 years from now and having zero part availability.

Comment

Another update: Since the 4K Panny unit has flaw I have started a return, looks like I will be putting the LG back into service, I REALLY like the 4K but hard to justify retiring the LG with it working again.

Meanwhile, the EBay seller who sent the junk Z-Sus has requested my contact info and left me 2 voice mails. I also got notice from Ebay that he is filing an insurance claim for shipping damage. Roughest shipping in the world wouldn't cause coil soldering issue, blown fuses and blown FETs, that is all LG fault, and this bozo's attempt to make money from a broken board that he didn't actually know about.

Most likely he either found or owned the TV, it went dark and he figured he could sell all of the boards, and only have one be truly bad. Who knows, but I am 100% certain this board wasn't damaged in shipping, it LEFT damaged.

I can say "yes" and he will quit bugging me. USPS has lost/broken things I have shipped before and I rarely bother filing insurance as they make you go fill form out and stand in line.

Or I can say "no" so this clown doesn't get rewarded for selling junk to desperate people.

Any thoughts?

Comment

I can say "yes" and he will quit bugging me. USPS has lost/broken things I have shipped before and I rarely bother filing insurance as they make you go fill form out and stand in line.

Or I can say "no" so this clown doesn't get rewarded for selling junk to desperate people.

Any thoughts?
                            I would think they would want to see the packaging for damage? Not sure I would follow along with his game, but this guy sounds like a bozo. eBay should cover you if you explain there was no shipping damage to the box.

Comment

He refunded me fully, in 30 minutes or less after I contacted him.

I think he finally realized that he actually lost money on the deal, since he paid for shipping here.

I just have a hard time helping him rip off someone else after he wasted my time with a 100% dead Z-Sus. Especially as his Z-Sus had failed EXACTLY as predicted in these threads. Loose coils, blown fuse, shorted FETS.

If mine had blown that way I wouldn't have been jacking around all over the TV. Easy to see it was dead with a voltmeter and some simple googling. Have little sympathy, especially since he got my hopes up and wasted my time.

Comment

Great news here. The samcomponents guy on eBay sent my boards back, well one was mine and the other a replacement Z-SUS. I would guess they keep a couple repaired in the queue to speed up the process. I installed them back into the TV, paying close attention to all the connections and screws, and I am back in business. Total cost with shipping was about $105, but my 60" is working like new again. I would recommend them for repairs.

Comment

Hmm, wonder if he would buy my 2 @ dead Z-Sus boards? I was going to recycle them but maybe they could help some poor bastard in the future? I'm still hoping that someone takes initiative and figures out why the PK250 board worked or could work and aren't as prone to dying.

And on the longevity front, while i did pre-emptively re-lead the coil joints on both sustain boards, before I button the thing up I want to improve it's future prospects.

I went ahead and ordered a bunch of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Enzotech-MOS-C.../dp/B004CL89D8

I am going to plaster them all over the MOSFETS and the bent aluminum heatsinks. My hope is to lower temps on the mosfets and let the panel die before these silly boards.

Anyone try this before? More then likely going to sell the TV to someone rather then keep but will feel better then worry that it will crap out in a week or two.

Comment

Hmm, wonder if he would buy my 2 @ dead Z-Sus boards? I was going to recycle them but maybe they could help some poor bastard in the future?
                                    He may buy them... I would try contacting him and see. He seems pretty honest, since my Y-SUS was fine and all he charged me was an extra $10 to ship it back to me.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/samcomponent

Comment

Working...
                                    X