Samsung HPS4273

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung HPS4273

Manufactured in 2006. Yes, that means it's really old especially for a plasma. Here's the story:

My in-laws saw smoke coming out of the back of their ancient visa-reward-point-purchased dinosaur of a TV. They knew that I had fixed this stuff before so they gave it to me because I don't have a TV (I haven't had a TV for 6 years, because I simply don't want one).

Fixing the smoking was easy. For a few bucks, I swapped out the cap that caused the smoke then ran the TV under load for a few hours without problems. I double-checked all the solder joints on the power board just in case and everything looks good. Anyways, it works fine now. No problems with power at all.

However, there's another problem that this TV has had since long before the power board ever had problems. I was aware of it before I started my repair attempt too. It has a single-pixel-wide column of green. But it's not solid, static green. It is always flickering regardless of the background. Look at the attached photo. Yes, it's more pronounced against certain colors (which makes sense), but if you could see a video of it, you'd see the line flickering. It does this on all inputs. Yes, it cuts through the menu, so I know it is an internal problem.

Yes, I've read a lot about it already on different sites including this one. It seems that some people fixed it by cleaning out the ribbon cable plugs. That did not work for me. It seemed that in most cases, this is a problem with the panel itself and is simply not worth repairing. That's fine with me, but I still have questions.

I came on here to ask if this is really a panel flaw, or could it be a problem with one of the controller boards? I wonder because of the flickering. I just figured that if this truly was a flawed panel, the pixels would be set to a certain state, uninfluenced by the video signal. Then again, I can also see why that could be flawed logic. I ask purely out of educational motivation. Also, what is the best way to tell where the problem truly lies? Note: This TV is probably only worth $50 on craigslist, so all my work on it is purely for learning. If it is a controller board, I would only try to replace it if i could get my hands on one from ebay for super cheap.

Any thoughts or insight is appreciated. The other reason I came on here is that, based on my experience, the guys on these forums are way superior in tech knowledge compared to the other sites out there. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jdmillard; 07-06-2014, 11:16 PM.

Re: Samsung HPS4273

Same question in fewer words: Is the problem in the panel? or one of the controller boards?

Comment

My experience is limited; but I had a similar problem in a Samsung 55". It ended up being the tabs attached to the panel itself. I could temporarily fix it by manipulating the frame. I suppose that one may also troubleshoot those tabs with heat or cold, but I've never tried it.

Comment

You could try cleaning the connector to the buffer in that vicinity, but it looks like a panel issue.
        LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Working...
        X