Memorex MLT3221 - No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Memorex MLT3221 - No Power

It looks like the brown colored caps are bloated from the top down view. If you have a multimeter that can measure uF, I would desolder them and measure uF.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi, I think I need to jump in here. IPOS Rev 3.3 board, as discussed here, on this Polaroid 32" model. Set will do nothing, tried to turn on with push button on side of set since I have no remote. When it's plugged in, the red light in lower right front blinks consistently, that's all. Red light on P/S board is off...don't know where to start, except to say I have checked the most notable caps, diodes and fuses and all seems well. There is no 5v of anykind. I can hear a faint 'tick' coming from the P/S board about the same duration of the front LED blink... Where do I begin?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnieboy2 View Post
        Where do I begin?
        Post pictures of your board in the same format and composition as Dgtech in post #1.

See my sig file above in the previous post for instructions and limitations.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

What voltage (DC) do you have on the green fuse in the middle of the board?

If no voltage there, check the voltage (DC) on the main cap?
          The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Polaroid TDA-03211C...will not turn on, LED on P/S is off, front LED blinks
            Attached Files

Comment

The green fuse is between the big cap and the transformer. Check both sides with a voltmeter. DC Voltage
              The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

around 315 volts, pretty steady on the cap to ground and 400vdc across the cap...fluctuates around 312-320 on both sides of the fuse. What's the significance of the blinking red LED on front of the TV, not seen any reference to this indicator.

You didn't ask, but I'm showing from .6 to 2.0 volts fluctuation on 5v standby.
                Last edited by johnnieboy2; 10-15-2011, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Another bit of background info...The set was given to me and I have no idea what the initial problem might have been. The set is as clean as new all over, no signs of burned components or smoke stains/smell. Just that blinking red LED in the lower right front of set and nothing when 'power on' button pushed...no remote. As for me I know my way around an electronic circuit as long as I've got a signal/power path to follow. In the old days we had Sam's Photofacts to guide us in situations like this. Thanks to you for providing this help site!

Comment

You didn't ask, but I'm showing from .6 to 2.0 volts fluctuation on 5v standby.
                    See post #4 re startup capacitor underneath the heatsink.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

With power off, check the resistance of this diode (D10) that I marked in this picture (RED BOX). it is standing up and connected to a heatsink. Check front to back then back to front. You should get low resistance one way and high the other. In my set, this is the one that went bad. It read around 5 ohms both directions.
                      From my research into this set, I found that the diode mentioned above would fail whenever someone would use this TV as a monitor on a computer. Basically a design flaw.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Dgtech; 10-16-2011, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Had already checked D10 out of circuit, it's fine.

Comment

Instead of spinning my wheels troubleshooting individual components, I found the whole board available on shopjimmy.com for $70 and a few dollars shipping. It wasn't worth spending any more of my time checking caps in/out of circuit etc. The replacement board fixed it. If anyone wants my old board for parts (burnt traces, etc?) dated 2006, $20 and it's yours. I don't know what component is bad on it, but the largest cap on the board is very domed. On the new board, it's totally flat across the top. I suspect at the very least, that large cap will have to be replaced. -Web in Myrtle Beach

Comment

Those two, 10ufd and 22ufd both were both good. I also checked the nearby 47ufd cap nearby under the same heatsink while I was 'there', it's good too.
                            Last edited by johnnieboy2; 10-16-2011, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WY3XinSC View Post
                              Instead of spinning my wheels troubleshooting individual components, I found the whole board available on shopjimmy.com for $70 and a few dollars shipping. It wasn't worth spending any more of my time checking caps in/out of circuit etc. The replacement board fixed it. If anyone wants my old board for parts (burnt traces, etc?) dated 2006, $20 and it's yours. I don't know what component is bad on it, but the largest cap on the board is very domed. On the new board, it's totally flat across the top. I suspect at the very least, that large cap will have to be replaced. -Web in Myrtle Beach
                              That's a great way to go probably if you're certain all your problems rest ONLY with the P/S board. Alas I'm not certain, so $70 might just be the beginning for me...so on with the desoldering

Comment

Is there a 5v reg on this board? I don't recognize any of the marking on any of the devices as being std for a regulator.

Comment

Those two, 10ufd and 22ufd both were both good. I also checked the nearby 47ufd cap nearby under the same heatsink while I was 'there', it's good too.
                                  Was your tests done with an ESR meter?
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Fluke 76, everything out of circuit.

Comment

Fluke 76, everything out of circuit.
                                      No Fluke multimeter can measure a capacitor's ESR. Some Fluke multimeters can measure capacitance, but a cap may have the "correct" capacitane, but have high ESR.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Well, I can't put out the cash for the meter, that would outweigh my valuation of the TV and I don't expect to be able to use such a meter much in the future. Are there specific publications like the old Sams Photofacts available today for these TV's?
                                        Last edited by johnnieboy2; 10-16-2011, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Well, I can't put out the cash for the meter, that would outweigh my valuation of the TV and I don't expect to be able to use such a meter much in the future.
                                          Agreed. Then just change out those caps with something like Panasonic FC to rule them out as suspects. It shouldn't cost more than $2 USD for those 3 caps.
                                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X