Samsung HP-R5052 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung HP-R5052 Problem

Have an older samsung set from my mom's house that she said "started doing funny things" then she called me for help. She said it started with white bars on the top half of the screen and then moved to the bottom and then this (youtube link to follow). I have read around that usually the upper and lower Y boards are the culprit. This appears to be more than just the buffer boards, I have tested the listed voltages on the inside of the TV and they all check out fine. I checked all the caps and none appear to be failing, only a couple were loose but not that big of deal.

What can I try next? I haven't found much on service manuals or troubleshooting steps, i would greatly appreciate it.

Youtube link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kVauBwU6JMM

Model number:
    Samsung HP-R5052

Re: Samsung HP-R5052 Problem

Originally posted by mourningstar625 View Post
    Have an older samsung set from my mom's house that she said "started doing funny things" then she called me for help. She said it started with white bars on the top half of the screen and then moved to the bottom and then this (youtube link to follow). I have read around that usually the upper and lower Y boards are the culprit. This appears to be more than just the buffer boards, I have tested the listed voltages on the inside of the TV and they all check out fine. I checked all the caps and none appear to be failing, only a couple were loose but not that big of deal.

What can I try next? I haven't found much on service manuals or troubleshooting steps, i would greatly appreciate it.

Youtube link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kVauBwU6JMM

Model number:
    Samsung HP-R5052
    First of all, cheer up. A star should be happy.

Second, thanks for including the model number; it makes things easier.

The problem is called 'maldischarge'. Something isn't working right. (Yeah, you already know that, didn't you?) In this case I would suspect one or more bad hybrids on the sustain boards. This may have been the result of a failing buffer, but I don't think so.

Service manual is here. Free download, it is sometimes easier if you register, which is also free.

If you look at the back of the plasma panel there should be several labels. One lists the various voltages for the panel. Do verify those. Another lists the model number of the panel. If you search the Elektrotanya site for the panel model number you may come up with a service manual or the holy grail - a training manual for the plasma panel. Several other labels give warnings about high voltage. Pay attention to those. If you get REALLY creative you could zap yourself with 400 volts. That stings.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I have tested all the voltages on the sticker and they check out fine

Comment

I checked your manual and i found a few more from the site that you mentioned and all the voltages and fuses check out fine. There were many additional steps listed in the other manual for troubleshooting and they all came out working. Any thoughts ?

Comment

I checked your manual and i found a few more from the site that you mentioned and all the voltages and fuses check out fine. There were many additional steps listed in the other manual for troubleshooting and they all came out working. Any thoughts ?
          First, you certainly have put in a great deal of work. I wish I had better news. I would say the odds are you have a sustain problem, but I don't have enough experience with these sets to be sure.

One question - what is the model number of the plasma panel? There should be a sticker on the back of the pane, it will begin with PDP. The same information may be in the service manual.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

The sticker that has the model number is a bit worn right where the model number is, however i can tell you this

S50HW-X B (i think) 03

the B is a little rubbed off so I guess it could be an 8 but i cant tell.

Comment

The sticker that has the model number is a bit worn right where the model number is, however i can tell you this

S50HW-X B (i think) 03

the B is a little rubbed off so I guess it could be an 8 but i cant tell.
              S50HW-XB03 is a Samsung plasma panel. Unfortunately, I can't find a service manual for it.

Seriously, unless you have a 200 Mhz Oscilloscope available, I would sell the TV. It is likely this panel is prone to buffer failures. Those run $100 each. The Y-Sustain is $150. You can buy a new 50" 1080P plasma TV for under $600.

PlainBill

Comment

thanks for the help, I hoped it would have been better news but i guess ill part it out.

Comment

hi! can anyone send me an invitation in elektrotanya.com? thanks, here is my email address annlim@ymail.com thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X