This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

The Antec is actually good ol' Seasonic Super Silencer platform. I strongly suggest fixing it as well.

Somebody is some lucky bastard here, right
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
      The Antec is actually good ol' Seasonic Super Silencer platform. I strongly suggest fixing it as well.

Somebody is some lucky bastard here, right
      Oh it's a Seasonic? sweet If only they didn't cut the wires, this thing would be such an easy fix! Yeah, I consider myself pretty lucky

Oh, and do you know if the KY's will replace those badcaps?
      Last edited by Pentium4; 06-29-2012, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I use KY's into displays since they make nice capacities in D8 or D10 and 2cm height, for PSU's I prefer Joes Samxons RS 3300 uF in D10. But you can use them, they are good and have nice life at 105 °C.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Samxon RS doesn't have as good a ripple rating (1650mA) as Panasonic FK (2250mA I think)... You can only get 10mm 3300uF in 6.3V, and there's only one supplier that carries them (Newark) so I use them for 3.3v and 5v caps. But I've been using RS in an Antec for a little while and so far so good.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I think you can still get Nichicon HZ 3300uF 6.3v 10x25mm on Digikey... they're 4690mA ripple and 6.5 mOhm ESR

Not sure it's such a good idea to use that low ESR caps in a psu though.... (later edit) Sorry, didn't catch Behemot's 2cm remark.. these won't work at 25mm and the 2000 hours @ 105c is not that great either when it comes to monitors.

Comment

Exactly! Too low ESR usually cause some serious problems. I even got problems with RS in one Enhance made Chieftec, it's still not solved. Ultra-low ESR caps are meant into CPU/GPU VRM.

Samxon GK, GT, RF, RS, Nichicon HD, HF, Chem-Con LXZ, LXJ, KY, KZE, Rubycon ZL, YXH, YXG and Panasonic FM, FC and FK are best suitable for PSU's.

Comment

Not so fast...
                Samxon GK, GT, RF, RS
                Be careful with some Samxon series...
                Nichicon HD, HF, Chem-Con LXZ, LXJ, KY, KZE, Rubycon ZL, YXH, YXG and Panasonic FM, FC and FK are best suitable for PSU's.
                Be careful with Nichicon HD, and its equivalents Chemicon KZE, Rubycon ZL and Panasonic FM/FR. These tend to dip into the lower ESR category... I have successfully used KZEs on a 5vsb circuit in a Fortron because it was the highest rated thing I could get in 8mm without using motherboard grade caps (I have a feeling though HM would have worked just fine too for the 5vsb, and are on sale dirt cheap at Newark), and I've seen people using Panasonic FM on the 12V, 5V, and 3.3V, but the 12.5mm variant of these caps dip down to 0.01x Ohms.

Also, for some reason, I've yet to see Nichicon HD stocked anywhere, I don't think it's a series Nichicon has in mass production like the rest. Go figure. You missed a pretty important series, Nichicon HE, which is widely available, and the exact equivalent to UCC KY which all the PSU makers love to use. Nichicon could use better B2B marketing, I've probably not seen HE series being used by OEMs ever.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

So the KY will work? The ones being replaced (so far) are 3300uf, 10V....3300uf, 16V, and 470uf, 10V. Thanks for all the info guys! Aren't Samxon good as long as you stay away from the GF series?

Comment

GF series is, when not bad, definitelly not good at least. Joe has custom manufacture of some small ones which he claimes can sustain their specified parameters (better than most of others in GF series), but I wont use anything bigger.

GT, GK and RF, maybe even RT are good for PSU's. I do not claim all are good everywhere, sometimes those are the small ones, sometimes the bigger but overall these are the ones you can use. As for HE, I have older table and also do not encounter them usually Together with KZE or ZL, it's like…I won't buy it, btu when U get some (or, dig some), you can use them…

Comment

So the KY will work? The ones being replaced (so far) are 3300uf, 10V....3300uf, 16V, and 470uf, 10V
                      KY and KZH are perfect for PSU.
                      Joe has custom manufacture of some small ones which he claimes can sustain their specified parameters
                      Yea, but he's very expensive... The good thing about him though is he ships anywhere in the world.
                      As for HE, I have older table and also do not encounter them usually
                      Newark has plently of them. I buy them all the time... It's a good thing too because no one stocks KY, so HE is the only equivalent I'm aware of on the market... I don't get the digging joke?

Comment

Nichicon HD, HF

Chem-Con LXZ, LXJ
                        LXJ are discontinued.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                          I don't get the digging joke?
                          Heard of re-using caps?

I believ 3300 uF is non-standard in D10 cause most manufacturers dont do them. Even Samxon RS is Joes custom. Most of the usual caps has Digi-key on stock all year.

As for HE, are they cheaper than RS from Joe's?

Comment

Forget about HE, it's 12.5mm for those values...

Another MFG who does custom is UCC... They don't advertise it or sell it to the public for that matter, but you can get 10mm KZH series (In both 10V 3300uF and 16v 2200uF) on eBay for a decent price. Very good cap, better rated than RS and even FK I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                              16v 2200uF…better rated than RS
                              How can this be in one sentence when I can get 3300 uF/16 V in D10 from Joe's?

Prepare your vomit pail
                              So far I have added coil, Y caps and thermistor to the filtering, changed inputs for 680uF Fhy, diodes for 4A bridge rectifier and transistors for 10A 2SC2625 together with slightly better heatsink. It works Only problem is with PFC as long as it colides with both filtering coil and heatsink and I cant close this thing. I will have a look where can I put the thing or what to cut in there, I want both PFC and filtering

On secondary I cant do much, I can change rectifiers with heatsink, add coils, but won't do much with caps as long as guy bought my last RS 3300 uF/16 V. Will have to buy some from Joe's but that can take time.
                              Last edited by Behemot; 06-29-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Recapped this Allied PSU that came with a case...Didn't even give the YC's 1 second running time The Primary caps are from a brand I've never heard of....Anodia? Same color as the YC's. Recapped the whole thing with UCC KY's. All it had to filter the 12V was two 1000uf 16V caps and a 470uf 16V cap. WOW! Used 3300uf 16V caps in place of the 1000's so that should help. I don't think it actually has dual rails, but I could be wrong. I only saw three schottky's on the secondary. How long would you expect this thing to last powering a Core i3 550 3.2GHz (Using built in graphics), 2 RAM sticks, single HDD. Should last a while since it's such a low load? Efficiency was around 75% Has a Globe Fan, and that thing is dead quiet!

How can this be in one sentence when I can get 3300 uF/16 V in D10 from Joe's?

So far I have added coil, Y caps and thermistor to the filtering, changed inputs for 680uF Fhy, diodes for 4A bridge rectifier and transistors for 10A 2SC2625 together with slightly better heatsink. It works Only problem is with PFC as long as it colides with both filtering coil and heatsink and I cant close this thing. I will have a look where can I put the thing or what to cut in there, I want both PFC and filtering

On secondary I cant do much, I can change rectifiers with heatsink, add coils, but won't do much with caps as long as guy bought my last RS 3300 uF/16 V. Will have to buy some from Joe's but that can take time.
                                You should upload some before and after pics
                                Last edited by Pentium4; 07-04-2012, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I am afraid this one is good for 250 W max with that caps. I also think transistors are only 13007 type. The PC could get some 200 W under full load so I suggest at least checking output rectifiers.

Definitelly the input caps are small, with higher caps and transistors I would have better sleep. Not mentioning output rectifiers, it writes 21 A combined but I doubt there is more than 20A fast recovery and actually a single 12V rail!

Comment

I am afraid this one is good for 250 W max with that caps. I also think transistors are only 13007 type. The PC could get some 200 W under full load so I suggest at least checking output rectifiers.

Definitelly the input caps are small, with higher caps and transistors I would have better sleep. Not mentioning output rectifiers, it writes 21 A combined but I doubt there is more than 20A fast recovery and actually a single 12V rail!
                                    Yeah I figured it really has a single rail haha. But with that rig, that would be 110W TOPS right? Pretty low load really. Yeah the input caps are small but no PFC so they should last quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                      ...The Primary caps are from a brand I've never heard of....Anodia?
                                      I've seen Anodia caps in wall warts before, but never seen them in SMPS until now.

ANODIA ELECTRONIC CO., LTD.

Off topic: Is there any chances of you posting some pictures of the caps?
                                      The ones I have seen never show any recognizable markings for Series, so it will be good if you can check if yours actually have Series markings.

This is the only one i have at hand now and as you see there is nothing in the sleeve that can help identify at which series it belongs.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Quite possibly they use the sleeve colour to indicate series
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

The only thing of acceptable quality (EDIT: besides the transient filtering stage) in that Allied PSU is probably the heatsinks and Pentium4's recap job. The heatsinks at least aren't finless. Other than that it looks of sheer tripe.

Not to be redundant, but attached is a better look at the PSU I posted in May. These images aren't mine but images of the PSU found on a Google image search link. The PSU in question is a (RoHS compliant, from the logo on the label) Hipro 300W, or a HP-P3527F3. No PFC in this PSU and only 470uF/200V primary capacitors (Teapo @ 85C), with otherwise what looks to be a mingling of Teapo, (maybe) Su'scon, Ltec, and (maybe) G-Luxon capacitors. There's 32A on the 5V rail, 20A on the 3.3V rail, 16A on the 12V rail, 0.8A on the -12V rail, 0.3A on the -5V rail, and 3A on the 5VSB rail. 165W is the combined wattage of the 5V and 3.3V rails and 280W is the combined wattage of the 12V, 3.3V, and 5V rails together. It does say maximum output 300W but nowhere on the label does it say that continuous. The fan looks to me like it's a 80mm (80x80x25/12VDC) ADDA sleeve bearing (I didn't check, as yet, but probably a medium speed from what the airflow feels like from the grille so I'm guessing that means 2440RPM/31.4CFM and a static air pressure of .114"). Also, my 20-pin connector is not sleeved like the one in the added image. And I'm not sure the date on the image is correct either (if this PSU is RoHS compliant it'd have to be from 2005 or 2006). Does this PSU look underspec'd or subpar to anyone for one rated at 300W (right now it's powering a Pentium 4 2.66 GHz w/1GB of DDR266 RAM, a 40GB Seagate/80GB Samsung, an underclocked Radeon 9500 Pro, a Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer, a Promise Fasttrak ATA100 card, a floppy drive, a 2450RPM/80mm/33CFM AVC sleeve bearing case fan, and two DVD-+RWs)?
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by Wester547; 07-04-2012, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X