X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RukyCon
    replied
    Re: some dead capacitors in a 9v 2.6A power supply

I know it's been a year since i made this but i finally got around to fixing this stupid thing and it works. (even when it's under full load)
    Photo of the new caps....

I removed as much of the cheap gule as i could and i'm currently waiting for some silicone glue to cure.
    The silicone glue is made for electronics and i used it on a different power supply and it did not do any harm.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RukyCon
    replied

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
    Frying pan caps, that's a new one. Make a video. I'll send you a fuckton of shit caps if you want.
    I'll think about it

Leave a comment:

• jazzie366
    replied

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
    I'm not sure how this thread is still alive.
    I already have an order ready to be placed.
    This thread is clinging onto life by a thread.

One idea i had was to take a bunch of chinese capacitors and put them on a frying pan and watch them pop like popcorn.
    Frying pan caps, that's a new one. Make a video. I'll send you a fuckton of shit caps if you want.

Leave a comment:

• RukyCon
    replied

Originally posted by redwire View Post
    Some cheap chinese power supplies are doomed, as the caps are simply too small - physically and electrically, to last. It has little to do with the make/brand of the cap, more to do with the ripple/ESR heating.
    I would look at the ripple current spec. - here it's quite high for most caps, especially at 2.6A output split over 2x1,000uF+220uF low-profile parts.
    Sometimes I add an extra bulk capacitance on the output when I need long life.

Panasonic EEU-FR1C102 1,000uF 16V D=10mm H=16mm 1.79A ripple 8,000hrs

P.S. I prefer a "POPcorn" capacitor brand over "BAcon" brand. If you smell popcorn, it's over
    I'm not sure how this thread is still alive.
    I already have an order ready to be placed.
    This thread is clinging onto life by a thread.

One idea i had was to take a bunch of chinese capacitors and put them on a frying pan and watch them pop like popcorn.
    Last edited by RukyCon; 03-15-2017, 01:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• redwire
    replied

Some cheap chinese power supplies are doomed, as the caps are simply too small - physically and electrically, to last. It has little to do with the make/brand of the cap, more to do with the ripple/ESR heating.
    I would look at the ripple current spec. - here it's quite high for most caps, especially at 2.6A output split over 2x1,000uF+220uF low-profile parts.
    Sometimes I add an extra bulk capacitance on the output when I need long life.

Panasonic EEU-FR1C102 1,000uF 16V D=10mm H=16mm 1.79A ripple 8,000hrs

P.S. I prefer a "POPcorn" capacitor brand over "BAcon" brand. If you smell popcorn, it's over

Leave a comment:

• RukyCon
    replied

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
    Need a capacitor company whose founder is "BA" and add some breakfast meat compounds into the electrolyte. Then when the cheap cap explodes, at least it will smell tasty.

Then label their caps "BAcon".

Leave a comment:

• jazzie366
    replied

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
    Need a capacitor company whose founder is "BA" and add some breakfast meat compounds into the electrolyte. Then when the cheap cap explodes, at least it will smell tasty.

Leave a comment:

• eccerr0r
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jazzie366
    replied

Ok i thought you were trolling me or something.

I get the joke.

42 The answer to life the universe and everything.
    Yep, also the actual way I've done that is to put leads through to the top of the board, and then solder some small copper pads to said leads. Once you do that, you can just solder some SMD caps to it and it'll work just fine. Just make sure to use good copper or you might get some extra resistance that could effect the performance if the resistance is too high.
    Last edited by jazzie366; 03-13-2017, 11:04 AM. Reason: mistype

Leave a comment:

• RukyCon
    replied

Fuck, I meant Suncon, damnit I was so tired when I made that.
    Ok i thought you were trolling me or something.

I get the joke.

42 The answer to life the universe and everything.

Leave a comment:

• jazzie366
    replied

Originally posted by behemot View Post
    sanyo does not exist for many years so i wonder how anyone can make anything for them.

How exactly do you put smd cap to tht?

Leave a comment:

• jazzie366
    replied

Suncap is the brand that failed in my power supply.

And i don't think suncap made capacitors for sanyo but i do think suncon did.

And the only link on your post is for the nichicon SMD capacitors [which i don't think they are real nichicon capacitors.]
    Fuck, I meant Suncon, damnit I was so tired when I made that.

Leave a comment:

• RukyCon
    replied

Hey, I found some caps that'll work in your power supply that you'll like.

Suncap ME-CA series, this is their small, low impedance series. They're a japanese brand, and they make caps for Sanyo. They have the exact same vent on them as well, and the sleeving for their green and gold ones have the same font and everything as Sanyo, just a name change.

I'd recommend these because they're a good brand and the series I linked you makes the 16v 1000uF cap in the case size you need.

However, if you want to mod this supply a little bit or are just living on the edge, put some of these in there: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PCS-Nichi...cAAOSwAuZX3xff
    Suncap is the brand that failed in my power supply.

And i don't think suncap made capacitors for sanyo but i do think suncon did.

And the only link on your post is for the nichicon SMD capacitors [which i don't think they are real nichicon capacitors.]

Leave a comment:

• Behemot
    replied

Sanyo does not exist for many years so I wonder how anyone can make anything for them.

How exactly do you put SMD cap to THT?

Leave a comment:

• jazzie366
    replied

The cap i have has a ESR of 0.28...

And i still have some dead LED lamps that failed less then 1 month after installation.

And that's why i don't like LED lamps.
    Hey, I found some caps that'll work in your power supply that you'll like.

Suncap ME-CA series, this is their small, low impedance series. They're a japanese brand, and they make caps for Sanyo. They have the exact same vent on them as well, and the sleeving for their green and gold ones have the same font and everything as Sanyo, just a name change.

I'd recommend these because they're a good brand and the series I linked you makes the 16v 1000uF cap in the case size you need.

However, if you want to mod this supply a little bit or are just living on the edge, put some of these in there: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PCS-Nichi...cAAOSwAuZX3xff

Leave a comment:

• RukyCon
    replied

The cap you have from Pchicon is rated for 12000 (not a mistake) hours... my ass.
    They are rated high ripple, low ESR, long life.

I'd love to see it go into something, they're meant for LED power supplies, maybe I'll order one of those cheapys from eBay that I know has them in it, and see how long it lasts.
    The cap i have has a ESR of 0.28...

And i still have some dead LED lamps that failed less then 1 month after installation.

And that's why i don't like LED lamps.

Leave a comment:

• jazzie366
    replied

I did not notice that the vents were all off-center.
    It shows you how cheap they are.
    The cap you have from Pchicon is rated for 12000 (not a mistake) hours... my ass.
    They are rated high ripple, low ESR, long life.

I'd love to see it go into something, they're meant for LED power supplies, maybe I'll order one of those cheapys from eBay that I know has them in it, and see how long it lasts.

Leave a comment:

• RukyCon
    replied

I did not notice that the vents were all off-center.
    It shows you how cheap they are.

Leave a comment:

• jazzie366
    replied

Here you go...
    Note: The brands are 100% random so i can not guarantee you'll get the same brands that i got.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/210Pcs-25-Va...3D172377962894
    LOL, in the listing they show a pic of entirely SamWha capacitors, meanwhile that's obviously not the case. However, they don't look to be legitimate, as the vents on the ones they pictured seem to be miscut, as in they are wildly off center.

Leave a comment:

• RukyCon
    replied

Could you tell me what ebay assortment sold you this? I'd like to get my hands on a few of the odd brands like this.
    Here you go...
    Note: The brands are 100% random so i can not guarantee you'll get the same brands that i got.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/210Pcs-25-Va...3D172377962894

Leave a comment:

Working...
X