Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Inverter Welder Strangeness

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
    The black carbon is conductive and gets worse if high humidity is in the game. You have to get all that black stuff removed using a rotary tool or cut it out and fix the hole and the trace. It's a wide trace, so it needs to support a lot of current.
    I've cleared out all the carbon, which left a fair hole, so that has been filled with resin and is now setting. I'm not gonna attempt to repair the traces, but rather use flex wires to bridge the points of contact.

I'll be back tomorrow when it is all dry and fixed.

Comment

Make a few runs using solid core.

Comment

The AC mains wires to the pcb are 4mm stranded, so I was thinking of that, or perhaps even desoldering wick, mainly for ease of use, but are you suggesting to use two or three solid core wires instead?

I have 2.5mm solid core here for sure. I suppose 3 of these would be more than enough.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Crystaleyes; 07-30-2023, 05:39 PM.

Comment

You could use stranded, just make sure to soak it all the way with solder. But I prefer solid core.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
            You could use stranded, just make sure to soak it all the way with solder. But I prefer solid core.
            This was actually why I thought of desoldering wick. I have some already soldered all the way along...

This trace only goes from the mains switch wire to both the 2200UF caps, so it shouldn't be such a problem (he says...)
            Last edited by Crystaleyes; 07-30-2023, 05:49 PM.

Comment

add a fuse if your mains plug hasn't already got one
              also check the caps aren't shorted

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                add a fuse if your mains plug hasn't already got one
                also check the caps aren't shorted
                Gonan do that

Comment

OMFG!

It Lives!

It's alive, I tell you!!!

Fuck yeah!

So, after four months, I think it is safe to say that the problem was poor connections between the mains input and at least one of the 2200uF caps.

Remember that this welder was bought (broken) in order to learn how these inverters work (at least more or less) and that mission has well and truly been achieved.
                  Just returned from the garage, where the welder laid super clean welds for the first time since I bought it.

Ok.. It took a carbonised pcb to finally reveal that the problem was hidden under the green varnish, but these are all invaluable lessons.
                  Performing resistance tests today from each point of the mains input/rectification section, revealed that two of the traces had breaks in them, even though before the burnout they had 'appeared' (to the eye) fine.

Invaluable lessons in my electronic repair journey...

I wanna thank all who have given their time in this thread, but especially CapLeaker, as he dissuaded me from scrapping the welder when I was itching to do just that!

Posting the pics of the pcb repair, for posterity...

... Or was the problem solved because I changed the red (stop) on/off switch, for a green (go) one?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Crystaleyes; 08-01-2023, 07:49 PM.

Comment

well done

Comment

Yes very well done
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply
                      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I said in the beginning, that sometimes you have to take a break and look at this later again. Congratulations to finally fix this thing and now you have learned quite a few lessons. Given it did take quite some time, but you gained quite a bit of knowledge and got as a result a cheap working welder!

Comment

All true.

Perhaps the most valuable lesson here has been not to rely 100% on a pcb being good just because it recently came from the factory, and was essentially 'as new'.
                          After the initial pwm section repair, I had been going in circles and getting lost lookng for bad components, when the problem was hidden under the varnish on the actual board.

I suppose that considering I took two months off in the middle, and probably another month waiting for parts, then it's not soooo bad, but I need to speed up if I ever want to work as a repair tech.

Once again, big thanks for the input, as well as yours and everyones patience.

Comment

You have to gain experience and what you when through is how gain the experience
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply
                            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by Crystaleyes View Post
                              All true.

Perhaps the most valuable lesson here has been not to rely 100% on a pcb being good just because it recently came from the factory, and was essentially 'as new'.
                              After the initial pwm section repair, I had been going in circles and getting lost lookng for bad components, when the problem was hidden under the varnish on the actual board.

I suppose that considering I took two months off in the middle, and probably another month waiting for parts, then it's not soooo bad, but I need to speed up if I ever want to work as a repair tech.

Once again, big thanks for the input, as well as yours and everyones patience.

No problem. Just remember the snapping noise and I told you to investigate where it comes from. Always fix what you know isn't right or looks off, before you go down different rat holes. It's always good to take a breather and go back to the basics. Look at my plasma cutter repair or a few other complicated devices that I did… it all took some time, but it got fixed at the end. Sometimes you got to trust yourself a bit better. You'll get there… maybe not fast, but in time you will. You get faster as you gain experience. More experience, more $$$.

Comment

i did wonder about that solder joint but dismissed it as i thought it had been sorted along the way

Comment

Thanks for all the comments, and yes, lessons have been learnt and invaluable experience gained.

Just a final word regarding this welder as I've never used one of these new-fangled contraptions before, and that is that this welder is a beast!

Not sure if it's just because I've never welded using DC, however this welder is way more powerful than I had imagined. It's easy to see why they are so popular.

Light, therefore portable, and capable of welding metals to an impressive thickness for its size.

That said, having worked my way through it's circuitry, it is also clear that in the future there will be a steady supply of inverter welders needing repair.

Last edited by Crystaleyes; 08-06-2023, 09:11 AM.

Comment

being dc it should weld stainless steel

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                                      being dc it should weld stainless steel
                                      Apparently so. In the user manual, it lists 2.5mm as the correct SS electrode.

It also has an optional TIG capability

Comment

Working...
                                      X