No announcement yet.

ASUS X550CL - Works only with battery ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASUS X550CL - Works only with battery ?

See attached.

Interested in the voltage reading at the yellow arrow & with black meter probe to ground.

Then check again at the PU8802 IC to be sure the voltage is the same.

When the external power adapter is connected, a safe voltage should be present at the yellow arrows to inform the charger IC that the adapter is connected.

Only then will the MOSFETS turn on through the gate voltages of each.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      See attached.

Interested in the voltage reading at the yellow arrow & with black meter probe to ground.

Then check again at the PU8802 IC to be sure the voltage is the same.

When the external power adapter is connected, a safe voltage should be present at the yellow arrows to inform the charger IC that the adapter is connected.

Only then will the MOSFETS turn on through the gate voltages of each.
      Did what you asked again.

PIN - 6 in PU8802 still 0.00 voltage.

Also i am attaching photo of the voltages around the parts you toldme .
      Attached Files

Comment

See attached.

Believe that PR8814 & PR8815 are the ACDET resistors.

Carefully apply the ac adapter and measure the voltage on PR8814.

What voltage reading do you see on each side of the pin ?
        Attached Files

Comment

See attached.

You mean inject voltage ,on the main rail of the board ?

Comment

See attached.

if you don't mean that.
            Then you can see above in the picture the exact values i get to those resistors. I have image attached in my last message.

Comment

Ok.

No injection. I meant for you to power up the board with the normal power adapter for this laptop.

Remove all power.

Meter in resistance mode (200k or higher scale).

Measure the resistance of PR8814. What is the measurement ? This resistor is the one where you show 19v on one side and 0v on the other side.

Then check the resistance of PR8815.

Post each measurement. No power while you measure resistance.

I think that PR8814 is defective.

Comment

Ok.

No injection. I meant for you to power up the board with the normal power adapter for this laptop.

Remove all power.

Meter in resistance mode (200k or higher scale).

Measure the resistance of PR8814. What is the measurement ? This resistor is the one where you show 19v on one side and 0v on the other side.

Then check the resistance of PR8815.

Post each measurement. No power while you measure resistance.

I think that PR8814 is defective.
                Done.

See the attachment below.
                Attached Files

Comment

PR8814 is defective. It should measure to be 127K in resistance. That is the value showing in the boardview file. It should not be OL on the 200k scale of your meter.

Locate a 127K 0402 size 1% tolerance resistor to replace PR8814.

Carefully flux and replace this resistor on your logic board.

Then test again. If all goes well, you should measure 19v on one side of PR8814 and ~2v6 or so on the other side, not 0v like you have now.

Comment

Can you confirm if the charger IC has been replaced or is it the original?

If replaced, how is the soldering?

Confirm the resistance to ground of pin #6 (ACDET) of the charger IC.

Remove all power. Meter in resistance mode.

Check pin #6 to ground resistance.

Post the measurement. This extra test is to confirm the charger IC is not shorted on pin #6 which then implies that PR8814 is defective and has to be replaced.

You should also desolder PR8814 off the logic board and check it's resistance while off the board. If you measure 127K then the fault is still on the logic board.

Comment

PR8814 is defective. It should measure to be 127K in resistance. That is the value showing in the boardview file. It should not be OL on the 200k scale of your meter.

Locate a 127K 0402 size 1% tolerance resistor to replace PR8814.

Carefully flux and replace this resistor on your logic board.

Then test again. If all goes well, you should measure 19v on one side of PR8814 and ~2v6 or so on the other side, not 0v like you have now.
                      Can you confirm if the charger IC has been replaced or is it the original?

If replaced, how is the soldering?

Confirm the resistance to ground of pin #6 (ACDET) of the charger IC.

Remove all power. Meter in resistance mode.

Check pin #6 to ground resistance.

Post the measurement. This extra test is to confirm the charger IC is not shorted on pin #6 which then implies that PR8814 is defective and has to be replaced.

You should also desolder PR8814 off the logic board and check it's resistance while off the board. If you measure 127K then the fault is still on the logic board.
                      Good morning!

Just did everything you said.

Probe to "red wire" of the DC-Jack slot, and the black wire to the PIN 6 of PU8802, with resistance set to 200K .I get raising from 100+ all the way to 0.L.

Secondly ,
                      I removed the resistor , you said and it showed 0.L.
                      Beneath it , the PR8815 showed 20.1 again as before.

Comment

removed the resistor , you said and it showed 0.L.
                        Which meter scale? 200k ?

If yes, this resistor is defective and must be replaced.

This measurement should be 127 on the 200k meter resistance scale.

Comment

Which meter scale? 200k ?

If yes, this resistor is defective and must be replaced.

This measurement should be 127 on the 200k meter resistance scale.
                          Yes, 200k meter.

The resistor was removed and i checked the 2 points,on board it showed 0.L .

Also checked the DC Port (red 19V) and PIN6 ,again 0.L

Comment

What is the measurement of the resistor that you have removed? Place the meter leads across the removed part, not the circuit board. I think that you may be checking on the circuit board pads? Use 200k scale.

Comment

What is the measurement of the resistor that you have removed? Place the meter leads across the removed part, not the circuit board. I think that you may be checking on the circuit board pads? Use 200k scale.
                              It's gone....hahahahahahah
                              I sneezed,and the resistor flew, while i was trying to measure it.
                              So regardless of that ,i will replace it eitherway.

The circuit pads on the board (without the resistor) show 0.L

Comment

So the readings on the logic board are good since the resistor was removed.

Source a 127k 0402 1% resistor and replace it on the board. The resistance value is critical to the operation.

They are dirt cheap so buy extras.

Comment

Source a 127k 0402 1% resistor and replace it on the board. The resistance value is critical to the operation.

Ordered x100 pieces,from aliexpress for around 4$ shipped to me (with aliexpress standard shipping).

So i just have to wait.

Thank you for your time and effort of helping me out, as soon as i get them back , i will let you know (also bought the PU8802 just in case).

Comment

Hello once again.
                                    We are back online.
                                    I received the resistor , together with the PU8802.
                                    I swapped / replaced them ,and now the laptop turns on , works from battery, works alone with only charger , it detects the battery.
                                    All good.

BUT!

Now, it suddenly doesn't charge the battery...

Comment

Hi. Sounds good...sort of.

Check the usual suspects which are the dcin mosfets.

Remove all power and with no battery.

Meter in resistance mode. Then check the resistance across the mosfet pins.

Source & drain
                                      Source & gate
                                      Gate & drain

Post each measurement and the meter scale used.

Comment

Measure the fresh voltage readings for the 2 x mosfets from your post # 6.

These are critical to the operation with the adapter and charging.

Interested in the voltage on each pin of these 2 x mosfets.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi. Sounds good...sort of.

Check the usual suspects which are the dcin mosfets.

Remove all power and with no battery.

Meter in resistance mode. Then check the resistance across the mosfet pins.

Source & drain
                                          Source & gate
                                          Gate & drain

Post each measurement and the meter scale used.
                                          Measure the fresh voltage readings for the 2 x mosfets from your post # 6.

These are critical to the operation with the adapter and charging.

Interested in the voltage on each pin of these 2 x mosfets.
                                          Good morning!
                                          Mosfets ,have both stable voltage as indicated all the pins between them have the same exact value 19.14V to be precise.

Now, for the 200k measurement with the multimeter for some reason all the Gate & Drain , Source drain etc . have 0.L i don't know ,if i am doing something wrong, even though i did testing around and it showed values,but to the specific mosfets , the value stays at 0.L. (all pins)

Comment

Working...
                                          X