Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP Omen 17-w104no dead PCH? Second opinion

Originally posted by EdwardGeo View Post
    Unsolder PL2001 (3.3V coil) and measure resistance to ground at 200 ohm mode on multi-meter. do you have equipment and skills for it?
    Thanks for your help so far, appreciate it! Equipment: possibly, skills: well... let's see

When PL2001 will be de-attached, measure resistance to ground of +3VS5_S and SY8208BSW pins

Also before desoldering measure all caps and resistors near PU2001 for a short. It seems that this motherboard doesn't have overcurrent protection, so PU2001 could be dead
    So I'm a bit confused after watching different YT videos about this, how can I reliable check for a short in a capacitator that is not removed from the board with just a multimeter, or can it even be done?

IF COIL IS NOT CONNECTED, DO NOT INJECT VOLTAGE. THE CIRCUIT WILL BE CHANGED AND CAN HARM OTHER COMPONENTS, BECAUSE ONE OF RESISTORS CANT LIMIT CURRENT IF CIRCUIT HAVE CHANGED
    Haven't got my hands on a voltage injector device yet so no worry about that.

Comment

Also before desoldering measure all caps and resistors near PU2001 for a short. It seems that this motherboard doesn't have overcurrent protection, so PU2001 could be dead
      OK I've checked these and they all seem fine, beep on the correct side etc. Also I found 3.3V on pin 5 of the PU2001 where it's supposed to be and also in some connections out from it like PC2005, see attached pic.

Should I go ahead with the desolder of PL2001?
      Attached Files

Comment

Does PL2001 have 3.3v? If not, then the 3.3v driver is dead, or protection of the driver trying to protect the board because of a short somewhere onboard.

Desolder PL2001 and by NOT powering the board, check resistance to ground of two pins (before coil - this part comes from voltage regulator driver and after coil - this goes to the board)
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by peku View Post
          OK I've checked these and they all seem fine, beep on the correct side etc. Also I found 3.3V on pin 5 of the PU2001 where it's supposed to be and also in some connections out from it like PC2005, see attached pic.

Should I go ahead with the desolder of PL2001?

3.3VPCU is ldo generated voltage to power logic when laptop is not powered on. So good news - your Embed controller is alive

Comment

Desolder PL2001 and by NOT powering the board, check resistance to ground of two pins (before coil - this part comes from voltage regulator driver and after coil - this goes to the board)
            Ok finally got around to it:

From driver: ~4 MOhm
            To board: 0

Comment

I have the same problem in Hp omen 17.No power, Led power on, cpu cold, 3.3V at the power button ok,PU2001 is hot, 3.3V on pin 5 is ok. Any solution found? I have changed PU2001 but the same...

Comment

Originally posted by manol278 View Post
                I have the same problem in Hp omen 17.No power, Led power on, cpu cold, 3.3V at the power button ok,PU2001 is hot, 3.3V on pin 5 is ok. Any solution found? I have changed PU2001 but the same...
                Hmm almost the same but I have no leds on. Just realized EdwardGeo who has helped in the thread lives in Kyiv :/ so he probably has bigger concerns than our motheboards...

Comment

A lot of weird suggestions here. There is obviously a low resistance reading both on the 3.3v and 1.05v switch mode coils. It's a dead PCH with almost 100% certainty. Inject 3v on the 3.3v coil and feel the PCH heat up if you want to confirm it.

Comment

Here's the boardview if you don't believe me
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by EineWildeStehlampe View Post
                      A lot of weird suggestions here. There is obviously a low resistance reading both on the 3.3v and 1.05v switch mode coils. It's a dead PCH with almost 100% certainty. Inject 3v on the 3.3v coil and feel the PCH heat up if you want to confirm it.
                      3V to PL2001? Must desolder before? 3v 1a is enought?

Comment

Working...
                      X