Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Inspiron 3505: centre pin issue, now full DC issue

Hi all,

I am hoping someone may be able to help me.

I have a Dell Inspiron which originally had a faulty DC port, where the centre plastic had broke. The DC port was replaced with a new one, which then resulted in the battery not charging, the laptop running slow and a message stating that the AC Adapter was not of the correct type. In the bios it would show it as unknown.
    The assumption was made that the AC Adapter must have also got damaged during whatever broke the DC port, so a genuine Dell replacement was attempted. Same issue, same message. Since then, a 3rd higher wattage genuine Dell adapter has been tested, no change.

Now the adapters are genuine, the adapters work fine and identify correctly in another machine.

The centre pin which has been replaced on the DC port seems correct and has continuity between the centre pin and the solder joint on the motherboard (where the fly lead connects).

So I tested all the voltages, all seemed fine.
    I followed further troubleshooting tips of Dell, which included flashing the bios to this latest version, and after this is where it went wrong.

After the bios flash, the battery dropped below 10%, so when it first rebooted after the bios flash, it displayed it couldn't complete the UEFI firmware update until battery charges above 10%… small problem, as battery wont charge.

So I went back to checking some voltage readings on the board.

Now, although nothing out of the ordinary was found, a little later, the Laptop decided it would no longer detect the power from the AC Adapter at all.
    I can see that the voltage is there on the input connector, but the laptop does not find it. The laptop still powers on (with its battery power, which is now about 8% remaining….).

One thing I have noticed, is that with the AC Adapter connected, there is a chip near the battery, (Intersil 95522H IC, which online says is a DC to DC convertor IC) is very hot. It gets hot very rapidly in its bottom right corner as soon as AC Adapter is connected. I cannot imagine the temperature its reaching is normal (although I could be wrong).

I have requested schematics for the board, as I cannot find them anywhere online. But does anyone have any advice or the above sound familiar to them?

Re: Dell Inspiron 3505: centre pin issue, now full DC issue

The schematic doesn`t seem to be available yet, use the LA-G711P schematic for reference https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1056563
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Thank you, I’ll have a look at that one, and see if I can find a starting point.

Does anyone have any tips on where to start given the schematic?

SMDFlee, in the interest of learning, how do you identify that the board is a good starting point? Internal knowledge or is there some identification method which provides this.

Comment

ISL 95522H is charging IC perhaps.

Comment

Yes, it appears that way.
          Is it normal for it to be super hot? Would this normally stop the AC adapter working completely?

Comment

Curious if you resolved this issue? I just replaced the AC input connector on my laptop and have the exact same issue you described.

Comment

Hi (from across the pond) - Wixom ? We are a supplier to Wenzel America in Wixom.

From my database of schematics, do not believe there are schematics available yet for this model but did ping the schematics vendor for help.

In the meantime, can you confirm that the voltage from the power adapter is reaching the entry point of the logic board ?

You will have to take clear pix of that region of the board in hopes to trace the voltage from this adapter connector and to see where it ends up. Most likely 2 front side mosfets which will be linked to a local charger IC.

This group of parts will need to be reviewed for possible damage.

What is the history of this unit ? You replaced the power adapter connector because it was loose ? Any liquid damage ?

Do you see any fan spin, video, etc. during power on ?

Comment

Working...
              X