Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Predator Helios 300 Black Screen after repaste.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Predator Helios 300 Black Screen after repaste.

Hello everyone, hope you are all well and healthy, enjoying your weekends.

I come to you with a very silly mess I made for myself trying to repaste my new (second hand) gaming laptop.

The model is Predator Helios 300 by Acer, model nr: PH317-52-53KY

I bought this laptop yesterday in really nice condition, working great. I played some cyberpunk and I noticed temperatures were quite high (90-95) so I decided to use some of the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste I still have left from my old laptop to repaste it.

I opened the laptop, at the same time changed the m2 SSD and cleaned and repasted the gpu and cpu. I turned it on to test it but saw big temp fluctuations and jumps so based on past experience I guessed there's a bit too much paste and it didn't settle evenly or something. I repasted and tested with a game (cyberpunk) and would reach about 85c on the cpu on average.

At this point silly me thinks I could do even better and reopened the laptop to repaste it, same procedure as always though this time I might've forgotten to take out the battery cable. I cleaned it (always using 96% alcohol), repasted very carefully and closed up the laptop.
    Long story short, turning it on now only lights up the keyboard, fans go on for 5 seconds and that is it.

I have tried:
    Cmos battery remove and wait 30 mins
    Remove battery and wait
    Pinhole reset button
    Reseat ram, using only 1 and switching slots
    held power button for 30s to drain static while battery and cmos were out
    unplugged everything extra like keyboard, wifi card etc.

Per recommendation from the Electronic Repair School on discord I attempted to flash the bios, using a fat32 usb, extrating the bios files and renaming to correct name as per the hex within the .fd file. I used the fn+esc method which would blast my fans to full speed, but alas the usb stick would only light up once and then showed no signs of reading going on, I left it on 10 mins but nothing changed. I tried on all USB ports.

I was very careful when repasting, but got greedy with my temp requirements and opened the laptop one time too many I guess. I'm at the end of my wits, I tried everything and based on how the laptop acts I suspect either a corrupt bios or some sort of short happened due to the battery being in when I was repasting it. I didn't spill anything, I tried to be as careful as possible, even took off my socks to ground myself!

Please let me know if these symptoms point to an obvious issue, and any advice or recommendations you might have to fix it, I'd highly appreciate that. Let me know if you want some more information or photos of the motherboard. There's no warranty so it's all on me or possibly some repair shop it might have to go to.
    Last edited by brokemylaptop; 12-12-2020, 10:09 AM.

Re: Predator Helios 300 Black Screen after repaste.

If you unplugged the keyboard or the matrix while the battery was in, you could have caused some damage, yes.

You will have to do basic diagnostics. This will require a multimeter. A lab power supply (adjustable voltage, current limiting and current indicator) would make your life much easier. Please go read the basics tutorial, and identify and post the full model of the board and the revision.
    Last edited by emestee; 12-12-2020, 12:21 PM.

Comment

please remove this post, problem resolved by tossing it in the trash

Comment

can you toss it in a box instead and send it to me,i`ll pay the postage
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by brokemylaptop View Post
          please remove this post, problem resolved by tossing it in the trash
          what a dumbass

Comment

Working...
          X