Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoga 260 endless Power Cycling

Hello Folks.

So I got a used Yoga 260 which power cycles constantly forever.

Problem: No Picture.

Fan Spins Up, stops, CPU gets warm. [I would say normal]
    Power LED is constantly on (and goes off for a second starting a new cycle). Keyboard backlight flashed (and fades out, with "the right bios" otherwise it just goes out)
    With no RAM installed it beeps.
    I also checked with known working ram.
    I checked fpr 3.3 and 5v. All present.
    Also checked eDP connector. It has 20v.
    "Backlight_On" is missing. So something isn't working right.
    Board is not charching (could be a dead battery, probably not)

I started the naked board with nothing (except fan) attached. Result is the same.

First I thought it has to do with the bios chip. So I dumped the bios and compared it to each other and it all seems legit. Also if I flash and read and compare currently flashed dumps. So the chip seems fine to me.
    I checked the Dump with ME Analyzer is something is broken, but nothing to see there. (Also the other dumps seem fine)

Than I tried to check with other Bios Dumps. With the original Dump the system powercycle like ever 7 to 8 seconds. With some other Dump the cycle is 13 seconds, and another one is 30 seconds (intel me?). I also bought access to biosfix and tried all 4 available dumps, at least one says clear me. I checked with MEA and indeed it seems legit and has
    "Configured" starte. The other Dumps are inizialized. I'm not sure if I shouldn't at least get an Picture on the screen even with initialized ME. I'm not sure about the whole Intel Boot Guard stuff which might cause this trouble?!

At this moment I don't really know what would be the next best step.
    The board itself looks fine. I haven't tested heavily for shorts but given that 1.35, 3.3, 5, 20 for Backlight is present I guess the power rails are fine?!

I attached the original bios dump. Maybe someone can check it or clear it... I'm happy for any further guidance what to do next.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pferd5; 01-25-2019, 03:34 AM.

Re: Yoga 260 endless Power Cycling

board is charging! (with the right bios?!)

Comment

What is the serial number and Machine Type .
      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

The back cover says: 20FE-S00000
        Warrenty Checkup says it has some days left (I will contact Lenovo later). But not sure if this really applies to this machine.

Serial check says it's: 20fd001xge So maybe the boards or covers are changed?

Comment

Got fixed by lenovo replacing the board.

Comment

Hallo. I have exactly same usue on Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. Problem was in CPU. Heating cpu with 480 C temperature around all cpu. Wait for chill out and try to run.

Comment

Originally posted by kostukas1985 View Post
              Hallo. I have exactly same usue on Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. Problem was in CPU. Heating cpu with 480 C temperature around all cpu. Wait for chill out and try to run.
              I have Lenovo Yoga 2 pro too, it power cycles. All power rails are OK. Tried different BIOS flash files. One one bios make it not power cycling but doesn't turn fully on. No POST.

Do you have a working BIOS dump for this machine?

My thread is:
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79526

KvnTM and piernov helped me a lot.

Their last suggestion was to reflow onboard RAM. I did not do it yet.

Please if you have any ideas or suggestions, reply on my thread

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by GIFixed View Post
                I have Lenovo Yoga 2 pro too, it power cycles. All power rails are OK. Tried different BIOS flash files. One one bios make it not power cycling but doesn't turn fully on. No POST.

Do you have a working BIOS dump for this machine?

My thread is:

KvnTM and piernov helped me a lot.

Their last suggestion was to reflow onboard RAM. I did not do it yet.

Please if you have any ideas or suggestions, reply on my thread

Thanks
                Here we meet again
                His problem is probably something else since it POST's (Beeps with no RAM).
                His board got replaced by Lenovo so I guess his problem is solved.

Originally posted by kostukas1985 View Post
                You got lucky. 480 C is way too hot and would most likely delaminate the substrate or bend the chip. Also Intel processors aren't really known for bad solder joints. There was probably something else on that board that got "fixed" by the excess heat. At least that's my assumption.

Comment

480 C is way too high-very bright chance of killing the cpu itself as@kvntm has said. But i disagree on the point of bad solder joint in intel-New gen SOC of intel has this problem. I solved two cases by reballing them within this week-LA-B483P and LA-D701P.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                    480 C is way too high-very bright chance of killing the cpu itself as@kvntm has said. But i disagree on the point of bad solder joint in intel-New gen SOC of intel has this problem. I solved two cases by reballing them within this week-LA-B483P and LA-D701P.
                    I only have experience with 4000 series soc's from intel and I never had a single failure on them. Could be worse on newer ones for sure. They probably have a higher pad density and smaller balls which could obviously lead to failure faster.
                    And yes torching a cpu or gpu is never a solution. It makes things worse most of the times.

Comment

Working...
                    X