Hp Probook 455 G3 DAX73AMB6E1 blinking charge light, not turning on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hp Probook 455 G3 DAX73AMB6E1 blinking charge light, not turning on

There are a couple other signals we can measure just to make sure. I'll be back later with those.

Comment

Ok , Thank you!

Comment

See attached pics #16 and #17. All 3 arrows are pointing to test pads (not components). These are a few of the later signals in the power sequence.

Expected values:
        SYS_PWRGD = 3.3 V
        APU_PWROK = 1.8 V
        APU_RST# = 1.8 V
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BlueMidnight View Post
          See attached pics #16 and #17. All 3 arrows are pointing to test pads (not components). These are a few of the later signals in the power sequence.

Expected values:
          SYS_PWRGD = 3.3 V
          APU_PWROK = 1.8 V
          APU_RST# = 1.8 V
          Will the 2 seconds the fan is spinning be enough to get the voltage measurements. Will get these tonight.

Comment

If it spins and stops, then just turn it on 3 times and measure each signal in turn.

Comment

If it spins and stops, then just turn it on 3 times and measure each signal in turn.
              Bump

Comment

Hope you're enjoying the holidays. I'm waiting on those measurements.

Comment

Yes holiday got pretty busy this year, will get measurements in the morning. Thank you

Comment

Expected values:
                    SYS_PWRGD = 3.3 V
                    APU_PWROK = 1.8 V
                    APU_RST# = 1.8 V
                    I do get these exact values on the test pads.

SYS_PWRGD=3.1V APU_PWROK=1.8V APU_RST#=1.8V What would have to happen next?

Comment

That means it has decided the power rails are good and has told the processor to start, well... processing.

The next steps involve it loading the firmware (BIOS/UEFI) and then running it. The actual firmware chip must be getting power and working to some degree, since the embedded controller (EC) firmware is loaded from the same chip at an earlier point in the power up sequence.

This may be the end of the road, as the next troubleshooting steps involve buying and learning to use a chip programmer, or paying to ship the board back and forth to someone. And there's guarantee of success.

Comment

That means it has decided the power rails are good and has told the processor to start, well... processing.

The next steps involve it loading the firmware (BIOS/UEFI) and then running it. The actual firmware chip must be getting power and working to some degree, since the embedded controller (EC) firmware is loaded from the same chip at an earlier point in the power up sequence.

This may be the end of the road, as the next troubleshooting steps involve buying and learning to use a chip programmer, or paying to ship the board back and forth to someone. And there's guarantee of success.
                        Well I guess that's it. I'm not going to buy a programmer. I can buy a working board for less than a hundred dollars, if someone want to give this a shot, at a reasonable price I'm game. I want to thank you for all your help. I've learned so much try to fix these boards. I couldn't have done it with out you.

Comment

For future readers, I obviously meant to say *no* guarantee of success before. I just caught that typo. haha

But yes, you're welcome. The attempt can be fun even if it can't always end in success. Take care.

Comment

Thank you BlueMidnight! what a thread!
                            Last edited by rccrasher65; 01-01-2021, 10:47 AM.

Comment

BlueMidnight I see some firmware, and bios USB chip programmers on Ebay really cheap, if these would work, I would consider trying to reprogram chip. let me know what you think.

Comment

bump
                                Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-07-2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rccrasher65 View Post
                                  bump
                                  Buy a CH341A it will do the job.
                                  All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                                    Buy a CH341A it will do the job.
                                    Thank you!

Comment

It is also important to make sure you have everything you need to connect the firmware chip to the programmer. Chip programmers have a DIP socket with a locking lever that accepts the type of large chip that has two rows of long pins sticking straight down.

On the other hand, the chip you need to read is of the small, surface mount variety. There are a few ways of making the connection.

First, it is sometimes possible to connect to the firmware chip without removing it from the motherboard. There are chip clips that have jaws that open (sort of like a clothes pin), and have ribbon cables that plug into a small circuit board that has the DIP pins that will plug into the programmer.

Second, there are small circuit boards with the DIP pins on the bottom and pads to solder the firmware chip on top. This obviously requires desoldering the chip twice every time you want to flash it and then put it back on the motherboard.

Third, you can get test sockets that the firmware chip will pop into that have DIP pins on the bottom (They look like black cubes with a small PCB underneath them). You still need to desolder the chip from the motherboard, but the test socket requires no soldering.

The chip clips are really great, and do work some of the time. But, make sure you have a way to read a desoldered chip too. For the type of chip you have, look for words like "SOP8" or "SOIC8". For the width, look for "200mil" or "208mil".

Comment

It is also important to make sure you have everything you need to connect the firmware chip to the programmer. Chip programmers have a DIP socket with a locking lever that accepts the type of large chip that has two rows of long pins sticking straight down.

On the other hand, the chip you need to read is of the small, surface mount variety. There are a few ways of making the connection.

First, it is sometimes possible to connect to the firmware chip without removing it from the motherboard. There are chip clips that have jaws that open (sort of like a clothes pin), and have ribbon cables that plug into a small circuit board that has the DIP pins that will plug into the programmer.

Second, there are small circuit boards with the DIP pins on the bottom and pads to solder the firmware chip on top. This obviously requires desoldering the chip twice every time you want to flash it and then put it back on the motherboard.

Third, you can get test sockets that the firmware chip will pop into that have DIP pins on the bottom (They look like black cubes with a small PCB underneath them). You still need to desolder the chip from the motherboard, but the test socket requires no soldering.

The chip clips are really great, and do work some of the time. But, make sure you have a way to read a desoldered chip too. For the type of chip you have, look for words like "SOP8" or "SOIC8". For the width, look for "200mil" or "208mil".
                                        There is a programmer and all the things you mentioned together, for 13.00 I'm going to order that one.

Comment

Originally posted by rccrasher65 View Post
                                          There is a programmer and all the things you mentioned together, for 13.00 I'm going to order that one.
                                          I will be ordering on wed, seller said he would have more by then. There are only a few US sellers. The rest are China, would take better than 18 days from there, and only a week from California. I'll let you know when it arrives.

Comment

Working...
                                          X