ASUS GL502VM shuts down in 4 Min

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS GL502VM shuts down in 4 Min

Hello everyone. I hope you all had a good holiday season.
    I have a case that has gotten a bit complicated for me and would like to know if anyone has any new ideas on how to fix it.

I have an Asus GL502VM which works fine but shuts down at around 4:00 minutes. It doesn't matter if it's in the Bios or in the system.

In some occasion, I had solved a similar problem by updating the bios, in this case it was not so, I already updated it. Everything is still the same.

Taking readings and measurements, I found that the 9401 coil has a hot spot with the thermal camera. I checked components on that line looking for a shorted element but did not find it. I thought it might be the coil and replaced it, however the heating persists. Looking at the boardview that coil has connections to the memories, however I don't know how I can check the memories, could it be one of them?

I also checked the other side of the board but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong

I would appreciate some advice or ideas to see if I could fix it. I add the schematics and information that I have found of this motherboard.

[MOD EDIT] Link to Schematic & Boardview -> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...atic-boardview
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 12-27-2023, 05:43 AM.

A coil will heat up under normal conditions due to the heavy current spikes in the on / off actions of a switching power supply. It is possible the load is normal or could be too much. Remove all power. Measure the resistance to ground at these inductors. Then power up and check the voltage to ground of the same inductors. Post all measurements.

if always around 4 mins could be some lock on the logic board.

Comment

To me,it seems like a dying graphics chip.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
        A coil will heat up under normal conditions due to the heavy current spikes in the on / off actions of a switching power supply. It is possible the load is normal or could be too much. Remove all power. Measure the resistance to ground at these inductors. Then power up and check the voltage to ground of the same inductors. Post all measurements.

if always around 4 mins could be some lock on the logic board.

Hi!
        I took these measurements as you indicated, I leave you the photo with all the measurements....Click image for larger version  Name:	Mediciones.png Views:	4 Size:	26.37 MB ID:	3168935

The strange thing is that, if you turn it on it works 4 minutes always. At first they thought it was because of heat but the working time does not decrease. It is always around 4 minutes... 4:10....4:05... it turns off, you can turn it back on and it lasts the same amount of time again, even when is on Bios.... That's why I'm out of ideas...

I haven't heard that "some lock on the logic board", is there any way to verify it or what do you mean?
        Last edited by wamo; 12-27-2023, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
          To me,it seems like a dying graphics chip.
          😥😭 Laptops so expensive and they die out of nowhere

Comment

To me - the measurements do not look to be too low so not shorted. If a heat issue - can you extend the time the laptop remains on by cooling it? Would you have freeze spray? Have you tested with another ram stick?

Found this:

Solved! - ASUS RoG computer randomly shuts off | Tom's Guide Forum (tomsguide.com)

In the words of Nicholas Cage - that is horseshit. More junk. Which GPU is onboard?

The fact that it works immediately again makes me still think it is some form of a security lock on the laptop. That is, if the GPU is dying, the GPU would not cool down so quickly upon the next power on cycle. That is my belief.

Comment

Well, I changed all the thermal pads (again) the thermal paste and did the test... 4:05 minutes later it turned off

I put a 110 fan pointed directly to the heatsink area and checked with the thermal camera that happened, the coil got hot (less) reached 29°C but after 4:00 minutes, it turned off again.

Another ram, same thing

At this point I doubt very much if it's heat, I'm leaning towards it being the video integrated.🙁😓

It is an Nvidia GTX1060 (N17E-G1-A1) and a Core I7 processor.
              (Answering your question)

I've found that some suggest reballing or applying heat to them but I don't know, in this case I don't think it helps much....

Another weird thing, is that one would expect that if the system is shutting down suddenly, at some point should appear the famous windows blue screens. (There are others that by forcing them to turn off the system is damaged) The windows event viewer, registers it as a loss of power supply, but nothing else.
              (And clarifying that point, I have tested it with its own charger, with an adjustable source and with a charger from another computer. Same result every time)

It would be very interesting to know if there is a blocking, to know why and what is blocked and especially how to unlock it hahaha.

Comment

Before the 4 min expiration period, press the reset button on the logic board. Repeat a few times. Does this action extend the power off issue at 4 minutes. If yes, it cannot be the video card.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                  Before the 4 min expiration period, press the reset button on the logic board. Repeat a few times. Does this action extend the power off issue at 4 minutes. If yes, it cannot be the video card.
                  Happy New Year to all. I hope this new year is full of growth and great achievements.

Sorry we shut down for a couple of days for the holidays, so I couldn't move the machine but very early today I started doing the test you told me to do.

At first the computer would shut down, but that was because the "What to do when you press the shutdown button" setting was configured that way, it would start the process of closing windows and shutting down, let me turn it back on, but if more than 4 minutes passed, it would shut down like it did at the beginning.

I deactivated that option and I put it that instead of turning off it would sleep and I did the test, at 3:30 I hit the button, the computer went to sleep, I left it 30 seconds like that, I turned it back on and it lasted 30 seconds more....

I did the test with more time.... At 3 minutes I put it to sleep, left it sleeping for 5 minutes, turned it back on and it lasted 1:05 minute longer....

The 4 minute mark is still very accurate.... This shit is haunted or possessed... I don't know hahaha .... Could it be a virus that is in the bios or in the processor?

Comment

One question, if you update the bios from de webpage of asus, is the ME region modified?
                    Maybe that is the problem? Some kind of bad instruction in the ME region?

Comment

Working...
                    X