Opinions on converting CCFL to LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Opinions on converting CCFL to LED

you can try a thin wire to connect 19v to converter..

Comment

Hi guys. That is actually a good idea spidey. The fact that the raw b+ is at the connector with no connection to the cable tells me that they did not intend to run this circuit with 19 volts into the inverter. My theory is that the 5 volt output going into the led backlight is not enough to drive it consistently hence the erratic problems. I took that same cable and screen and put it in my L455D with the 19v output and it works just fine. In fact, the data sheets for most of these led screens say the minimum voltage in is 6 volts. Your thoughts on my theory are appreciated.

Comment

Ok. I have confirmed that this board does not use raw b+ to power the inverter. Sourced the inverter part number to find that 5 volts is on pin 5 and 6 going into it. Cant find a schematic for this particular model online but got close with another. If proper operation for this led cant be maintained with the led driver board I have; I will have to take spidey up on his suggestion. I still have not answered the question as to why raw b+ is at the connector but not being used.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but to anybody reading, please advise.

On my blog I document some of these LCD to LED Conversions

http://billa48.blogspot.com/

But I am stumped here. I have a Toshiba L505 and a L455, they both came with CCFL Screens, now the screens are cracked and I am trying to replace them with 15.6" LED screens.

I have all types of conversion cables and the little inverter thing. I have tried everything to the best of my knowledge. The L455 does show the desktop but no backlight on the LED screen. The L505 shows desktop and LED backlight lights up good for 5 minutes, then it turns on and off by itself, regardless of where the brightness control is.

I need a straight forward way to put these 15.6" screens into these laptops.

I have converted a Lenovo G555, and Inspiron 1545 with these same cables, worked good.

Please advise.

Comment

What I am fixin to do now, take apart these screens and paste them on top of the old CCFL backlight panels. Since I have display only backlight is amiss. I have done that many a times with CCFL screens, swapped out working screens with dead backlight over working backlight panels with cracked screens.

Comment

Originally posted by billa48 View Post
              What I am fixin to do now, take apart these screens and paste them on top of the old CCFL backlight panels. Since I have display only backlight is amiss. I have done that many a times with CCFL screens, swapped out working screens with dead backlight over working backlight panels with cracked screens.
              Yeah but arent the flat flex things at the bottom on LED screens? and at the top on CCFL ones so it could work but the screen would be upside down and thats if the glass part would fit into the frame where the backlight and all those diffuser layers are

Comment

90% of the time the glass screen part will fit right on top of the ccfl or led backlight panel. Some plastic tab cutting may be required. These tabs are on the backlight panel, they go between the flat belt on the glass panel. If you slice them off any sort of flat cable can be seated properly.

Check my blog I have ghetto-teched what used to be a CCFL backlit screen on top of a LED backlight panel that had a cracked screen. It works both ways. And no the screen does not have to be upside down. CCFL backlight screens usually have backlight tubes in the bottom, LED backlight screens have LED bulbs in a strip in the side of the screen. So regardless of what format you put it together, you can always flip the screen, with the conversion cable you have enough room to turn the screen upside down hence, upright. So it works like an extension.

Same way, a screen with bad CCFL lamp can be transplanted on a cracked screen with good CCFL lamp. Instead of diggin out the lamp and breaking it in the process. Most manufacturers screens look exactly the same, some require adjustments, others just cut and paste. Only factory CCFL screens from HP laptops will be dim on Dell, toshiba, acer laptops. Even if you change the backlight. That applies to all 14.1, 15.4, 15.6 screens.

Comment

Working...
                X