Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba Satellite Pro L450-12x - Power led on but no display

Item: Toshiba Satellite Pro L450-12x laptop

Fault: Nothing is displayed on the screen or via an external monitor through VGA cable

Background: The laptop has over heated several times and on one occasion it has shut down completely.

Initial investigation: Tested on battery only and AC (with and without battery) connected and found power led lights green, battery and AC connected green. I press the on button and the fan starts up at a high speed for around 3 secs and then goes off. There is no disc activity light, but I can hear and feel it working - I have tested the hard drive in another machine and it worked fine so I'll rule that out. After about 2 minutes the fan will spin up again for 3 secs and then off again.

Whilst taking the fan out I found a nice lining of dust, dirt and lint which had blocked the air flow almost completely - definitely a cause for the over heating.

I have tested DC voltage across the following caps:

PC71 - 1.23V
    PC73 - 0V
    PC56 - 3.3V
    PC57 - 5.1V
    PC103 - 19.5V

Caps PC71 & PC73 (OA4's 220uf 6.3v) wouldn't read in circuit. I took these two out and found high esr values. I didn't have any SMD caps so to test I replaced temporarily with rubycon ZL's - unfortunately this has not fixed the issue.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I am not sure what to test next.
    Attached Files
    Fixed so far: GNR TS902W monitor, Sony Game Gear, Philips FCD565, Arcam Alpha 10, Memorex SA 404amp

Re: Toshiba Satellite Pro L450-12x - Power led on but no display

Maybe dead graphics chip?
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Re: Toshiba Satellite Pro L450-12x - Power led on but no display

I did wonder whether it could be that. I ve downloaded the motherboard schematics so I'll attach it here when I get home.... now attached.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by quattro alex; 10-08-2012, 10:26 AM.
      Fixed so far: GNR TS902W monitor, Sony Game Gear, Philips FCD565, Arcam Alpha 10, Memorex SA 404amp

Comment

Working...
      X