PS5 BLOD- CFI-1115A Disc Version- Board= EDM-020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PS5 BLOD- CFI-1115A Disc Version- Board= EDM-020

Update: New BIOS chip programmed with known good BIOS BIN. Same issue. 0.01 current draw. I have purchased a PSN banned board off of ebay. Going to compare voltages , verify. This may be the APU or Southbridge. Not sure. More investigaing needed.

Comment

Give the video below a watch, it’s 1h long but pay attention to the console symptoms (sometimes works but with no Wi-Fi, sometimes blue light, sometimes 3 beeps) and pay attention to what he says about the 8mA current draw around 30 mins into the video and again the 10mA current draw (after replacing the damaged part) like you are seeing due to the 32kHz oscillator not running what he ultimately finds out the issue is (southbridge!).

Not 100% identical to your issues but there are obvious similarities…I also prefer this guy to any other YouTuber that does console repair, he is very methodical in his approach, thinks about what he is doing and rarely fails to fix the issue. He also does PSU repairs on camera which is interesting to see as well seeing as most people run away from PSU faults and just replace the whole PSU as they are afraid to work on them.

https://youtu.be/Gs0jGjXuZTk

Comment

Yeah ToltecMerc's vids are great. I will review this one. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mario875 View Post
          Give the video below a watch, it's 1h long but pay attention to the console symptoms (sometimes works but with no Wi-Fi, sometimes blue light, sometimes 3 beeps) and pay attention to what he says about the 8mA current draw around 30 mins into the video and again the 10mA current draw (after replacing the damaged part) like you are seeing due to the 32kHz oscillator not running what he ultimately finds out the issue is (southbridge!).

Not 100% identical to your issues but there are obvious similarities…I also prefer this guy to any other YouTuber that does console repair, he is very methodical in his approach, thinks about what he is doing and rarely fails to fix the issue. He also does PSU repairs on camera which is interesting to see as well seeing as most people run away from PSU faults and just replace the whole PSU as they are afraid to work on them.

https://youtu.be/Gs0jGjXuZTk
          Cleaned up some solder joints and now it jumps to 59ma and back to 26ma. I have a southbridge on order. Pretty sure we are on the right track. Time will tell. Thank you.
          Attached Files

Comment

Update: Southbridge should arrive 07/10

Comment

So I think my stencil for the southbridge chip got lost. Has not moved since June 16th from last location. Just to be sure I did some further troubleshooting while i wait. Now i just have a single beep without making any changes. Due to that fact and having to wait. I pulled the APU sticker up and found liquid metal bridging a cap. I have cleaned the APU and around it. But i have three questions. How would the APU get this diced up on the surface? Will this effect the chip? And last but not least.. Can i use solder mask to coat the area around the APU, or should I use conformal coating? Anyone else coated around their APU?
              Attached Files

Comment

some of those filters still have something on them - galium??
                as for the die - i think it has a coating - maybe the coating is bubbling - cant tell from the pic

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  some of those filters still have something on them - galium??
                  as for the die - i think it has a coating - maybe the coating is bubbling - cant tell from the pic
                  Stj,
                  This is a better pic. Took one with my anti glare light. Clean. The chip literally looks like it has a fingerprint on it. And as for the solder mask application. Instead of conformal coating. I think I will be okay as long as I coat it fully and protect against the liquid metal. Console will be sitting horizontal anyway. What you think?
                  Attached Files

Comment

well it may be caused by previous "cleaning",
                    it shouldnt matter as the chip is effectivly upside-down anyway.
                    UV solder mask may be a good idea, does it even need galium? isnt it paired against aluminium?
                    if it was that hot they could have used copper.

Comment

well it may be caused by previous "cleaning",
                      it shouldnt matter as the chip is effectivly upside-down anyway.
                      UV solder mask may be a good idea, does it even need galium? isnt it paired against aluminium?
                      if it was that hot they could have used copper.
                      Yeah whoever tried to clean it before I got it probably didnt use a swab. That is what I was thinking. Doesn't seem to effect operation as of yet. But we also dont have a stable console yet. Well they call for liquid metal. Still trying to figure out these engineer's method of their madness. All i have is RED for UV Solder Mask. We will definitely add some color to it lol

Comment

i always use the oposing colour - so i can see exactly where it is.
                        that said, i should get more, yellow or white could be usefull - i only have red & green currently.

Comment

btw, have a play with this.
                          Attached Files

Comment

i always use the oposing colour - so i can see exactly where it is.
                            that said, i should get more, yellow or white could be usefull - i only have red & green currently.
                            Makes sense. Okay used the red. Cured it and put the foam and liquid metal back on. Now i draw 54 ma of current and as soon as i check the southbridge cap. Boom down to 26ma. I think we may have a failing southbridge that just becomes more degraded each power up. Thinking of lifting it and reballing by hand lol. Sick of waiting for stencil lol

Comment

btw, have a play with this.

Niooooce! Yeah I saw this on The Cod3r's site and grabbed it. Didn't try it yet.
                              Last edited by TheWizard; 07-06-2023, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Lifted the Southbridge and boy did I find a surprise. Not only oxidized pads. But whoever worked on this before exposed the copper and put the chip back down. Explains the eratic intermittent behavior of this console. Now I have to refer to online pics of the traces and mask what should not be connected. Fun times.
                                Attached Files

Comment

gotta be honest, if i get something that has the slightest sign that somebody has been fucking with any bga chips - i wont touch it.
                                  i'v seen too much destruction in ps3's and xbox360's
                                  another thing while i'm on the subject.
                                  i wont touch car dashboards - they have usually been fucked by people trying to reprogram the mileage who cant solder and often dont even have the right tools.
                                  there is a guy in my area - never met him but he has one hell of a reputation.
                                  i think he ruins about 20% of the stuff he touches - he uses a fucking Portasol gas soldering iron to lift eeproms!!!!!

Comment

gotta be honest, if i get something that has the slightest sign that somebody has been fucking with any bga chips - i wont touch it.
                                    i'v seen too much destruction in ps3's and xbox360's
                                    another thing while i'm on the subject.
                                    i wont touch car dashboards - they have usually been fucked by people trying to reprogram the mileage who cant solder and often dont even have the right tools.
                                    there is a guy in my area - never met him but he has one hell of a reputation.
                                    i think he ruins about 20% of the stuff he touches - he uses a fucking Portasol gas soldering iron to lift eeproms!!!!!
                                    Yep Lesson learned on this one. Yeah I have been asked to fix car dashboards but kinda shrugged them requests off. Nobody has been persistent enough that I have had to tackle any. Yikes! That guy sounds crazy! Haha The chip is ready to grow some balls now. I am thinking of using the original chip first. Save the NEW reballed one. This masking pattern is going to be a bitch to hit all the correct spots lol
                                    Attached Files

Comment

the only dash to fix is the prius dash with the big vfd display.
                                      they have a common fault of a BD3940 voltage regulator failing.
                                      it's crap and i use a regular 78M05 to replace them

Comment

the only dash to fix is the prius dash with the big vfd display.
                                        they have a common fault of a BD3940 voltage regulator failing.
                                        it's crap and i use a regular 78M05 to replace them
                                        Oh nice. Good to know. Have you played around with that ps5 NOR modifer yet?

Comment

it didnt run in Linux.
                                          i probably could have if coder wasnt so "clever" and tried to download dot-net 4 for me!
                                          i dont need it, i can do the same thing with MONO.
                                          https://www.mono-project.com/

Comment

Working...
                                          X