Clear All

Seagate 2TB Mobile HDD

Hey everyone!
    Trying to get data of a 2TB external drive, the info of the drive:
    Brand: Seagate
    Model: ST2000LM007
    Part nr: 1R8174-570
    PCB number: 10835923 REV A

Computer makes a sound that it recognizes the drive, but it shows nowhere. I got a replacement PCB assuming it's a controller issue, but no no drive spin. (I did transfer the BIOS chip!). Got a second PCB, but it shows the same symptoms as the original PCB, drive spins, computer makes the sound, no drive to be seen. So now I'm wondering if they are just incompatible PCB's, or the fault is something else? Or is it because the replacements are from AliExpress? I included pictures of the drive info, original PCB, and the replacement ones. Thanx in advance!
    Attached Files

Re: Seagate 2TB Mobile HDD

Have you looked in Disk Management in Windows if it sees the drive?
    If not what about the console based "diskpart" command (list disk) command?
    If all that fails what does device manager show.
    Oh, and most important: is there any difference with the PCB's you have and above commands?
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Hey, they didn't show up in disk manager at any point.

I did not use diskpart, I well take out the drive and pcb's again later today if I have time, otherwise monday and test this out.

Comment

I skipped the PCB without spin, but both old and new pcb don't show anywhere (explorer, device manager, disk manager, or diskpart). The windows recognition is for the docking station I use for HDD's it seems.

Comment

Information about the disk is in the service area in the zero sector and when turned on, the disk spins up and the heads read this service information and the disk is detected by the system.
          Most likely damaged heads.
          Last edited by lotas; 04-22-2023, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Ah then it is out of my league sadly. Thanx for the info!

Comment

Working...
            X