Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway FPD1976w / LE1936 Problem

Originally posted by bigtex2712 View Post
    I think I found it, would it happen to be the white component with the "k" on it? There is a "F1" above it.
    K = 1.5A according to

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=658938
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I just tested it with a setting on the multimeter reading up to 200 ohms. The reading I got was 2.2 consistently, I tried it multiple times. I assume this shouldn't happen. Would that mean its blown?

Comment

What ohm reading do you get when you touch the two leads together?
        Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

The reading I got was 2.2 consistently, I tried it multiple times.
          Touch your two probes together. If the reading is more than 1.0 ohms, look at replacing the battery. Or trying cleaning and reseating your probes (jack and tips).

You would be the 4th or 5th person in the last 10 days on this board that might have a bad battery in the multimeter.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Alright well I tested the probes together and got a reading of 2.5 Ohms. I replaced it with a brand new battery and tested the probes again and got a reading of 0.6 Ohms. I then tested the fuse again on the logic board and got a reading of 0.6 Ohms. I guess since there was no change in resistance that means the fuse is blown. Am I right?

Comment

I replaced it with a brand new battery and tested the probes again and got a reading of 0.6 Ohms. I then tested the fuse again on the logic board and got a reading of 0.6 Ohms. I guess since there was no change in resistance that means the fuse is blown. Am I right?
              Your fuse is a good.

The reason for having a fresh battery is to get accurate readings. Many of us here say that a good fuse measures less than 1.0 ohms. If we didn't know you had a weak/bad battery, we would incorrectly tell you that your fuse is bad (> 1.0 ohms).

Also, many voltage regulators on the logic card have a +/- 1% tolerance rating. If your multimeter is inaccurate due to a weak/bad battery, we would incorrectly assume that your voltage regulators are bad.
              Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-27-2010, 01:33 AM.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Well if its not the fuse then what else could it possibly be?

Comment

Well if its not the fuse then what else could it possibly be?
                  In your logic board photo, you have 2 voltage regulators in the top left hand corner. The part number might look like AL1117-33 indicating a 3.3V DC output. AL1117-18 would indicate 1.8V DC output.

You can try measuring these 2 voltage regulators to see if they are good or bad.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm sorry but I am not seeing anything labeled AL1117-XX on the board.

Comment

I'm sorry but I am not seeing anything labeled AL1117-XX on the board.
                      Normally, I would give people PCB board designations like see U1 or U4, but your pictures are so blurry and out of focus, I can only guess at the part number. I circled (in yellow) the 2 voltage regulators in your pic.
                      Attached Files
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

For both components I received a reading of 1.8 volts.

Comment

For both components I received a reading of 1.8 volts.
                          What are the part numbers of the regulators?

Comment

Actually, on the regulators themselves, one says AS1117L-18 and the other AS1117L-33. I suppose the one reading AS1117L-33 is bad because I received a voltage reading of 1.8 volts?

Comment

Actually, on the regulators themselves, one says AS1117L-18 and the other AS1117L-33. I suppose the one reading AS1117L-33 is bad because I received a voltage reading of 1.8 volts?
                              For the AS1117L-33, the 33 stands for 3.3V output.

Comment

That is what I figured so I assume this one is bad?

Comment

Either the regulator is bad, or the load is excessive. CAREFULLY check the temperature of the regulator. If it is blistering hot the problem is probably excessive load. If cool, it definitely is bad.

PlainBill
                                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Actually, I do not know which is input and which is output so the picture is of the voltages I receive (+1 resembles the positive probe is on the prong labeled 1, -2 resembles the negative probe is on the middle prong not labeled etc.)
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Put your black probe on a ground screw. Put your red probe on pins 1, 2, and 3. Report all voltages.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

For the regulator labeled AS1117L-18 I received the following readings:
                                        Pin 1 - 0.0V
                                        Pin 2 - 1.79V
                                        Pin 3 - 5.02V

For the regulator labeled AS1117L-33 I received the following readings:
                                        Pin 1 - 0.0V
                                        Pin 2 - 1.42V
                                        Pin 3 - 5.02V

Comment

For the regulator labeled AS1117L-33 I received the following readings:
                                          Pin 1 - 0.0V
                                          Pin 2 - 1.42V
                                          Pin 3 - 5.02V
                                          This one is bad. It should output 3.3V DC. 1.42V DC is way too low.
                                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X