Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Originally posted by nmjwolf View Post
    that stamping is real hard to read...from what I can make out it is 64GN T005322p.
    I'm not having luck finding such a part?

Can you clean up the chip with a bit of isopropyl alcohol and try reading it again?

Do you have a magnifying glass or jewelers loupe?

Or use a camera with a good macro mode?

Meter is just a fluke 87.
    I'm jealous.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

In this same megathread, this picture

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...3&d=1260133724

shows 3 lines of letters. I think I can make out OZ964. See if yours is the same. Or it could OZ9938.
      Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-08-2012, 12:53 AM.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Got some better light here are the details:

OZ964CN
        T01053 2P
        0633C

Comment

OZ964CN
          OZ964 is the pwm chip. Datasheet is at

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe...TC2/OZ964.html

Refer to datasheet for pin numbering.

Pin 5, VDDA, is the supply voltage. Pin 6 is ground. (Page 2).

Measure the DC voltage on pin 5 using pin 6 as ground. The recommended operating range for VDDA is between 4.6V and 5.5V.
          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Konesky View Post
            Hey Chez,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Some of your caps look bad to me from the pictures but it's hard to tell. In the last picture, the ones in the bottom left look bad.

What you're looking for is for the end of the capacitor to be bulging out a little or even for a brownish (in this case) fluid to be leaking out. It should be noted that even if a capacitor does not exhibit external signs of failure, that doesn't mean it hasn't.

It's cheaper to order parts from digikey and install them yourself however if you don't have a soldiering iron laying around and you're not completely comfortable replacing them, it may make more sense to order the replacement board off of E-bay and save yourself the trouble.

Here are some examples to help guide you:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-...Bad-Capacitor/

http://www.stevenjohal.com/lcd-scree...wer-no-signal/

These caps are good:

Hope that helps, GL!

-Konesky
            Thank you very much for the info! I think I'm gonna be lazy and just buy a complete new power board because I'm way to busy to learn how to replace caps right now.

I was planning on buying this power board from eBay as it is the cheapest new one available, however the layout is slightly different and it is marked 225BW Rev 0.2. Will this be compatible with what I have? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Samsung-...#ht_3166wt_986

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
              OZ964 is the pwm chip. Datasheet is at

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe...TC2/OZ964.html

Refer to datasheet for pin numbering.

Pin 5, VDDA, is the supply voltage. Pin 6 is ground. (Page 2).

Measure the DC voltage on pin 5 using pin 6 as ground. The recommended operating range for VDDA is between 4.6V and 5.5V.
              i measure 4.96VDC to gnd.

Comment

i measure 4.96VDC to gnd.
                Okay, the pwm is getting power. Now check pin 3 (ENA). According to the datasheet, the IC is enabled when voltage on pin 3 is > 2V.

Also, pin 15 and 14 have something to do with dimming the ccfls. I'm not sure though what is 100% and what is 0%.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

4.96vdc chip is enabled
                  Last edited by nmjwolf; 01-14-2012, 02:16 PM. Reason: voltage edit

Comment

4.96vdc chip is enabled
                    That looks good. What about the DC voltages on pins 14 and 15? Also pin 2 (OVP)?

PS. My local ad shows a working 225 BW on sale for $15 (a good price IMHO). If I didn't have working lcds and a few waiting for repair, I would probably buy this.

PPS. Well, I knew it wouldn't last, the 225 BW has been sold.
                    Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-14-2012, 03:10 PM.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I suppose at this point I should stop being so cheap and buy a set of CCFL's

Comment

I suppose at this point I should stop being so cheap and buy a set of CCFL's
                        Well, I personally would like to see the voltages on pins 2, 14, and 15 before you spend any money. If pin 2 comes back with OVP enabled, then you know it is the ccfl OR the wiring is burnt away and not making contact with the ccfl bulb. This is the farthest I have helped someone in this pwm area. I feel like a starting pitcher in the 8th inning and trying to complete the entire game!

The pwm IC works as "all or nothing" (in lay terms). Either all the bulbs work or none at all.

Sometimes you can find a working monitor (like my example in the above post) for cheaper than a new set of ccfls.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The measurements are:
                          pin 2 0V DC
                          Pin14 2.35V DC
                          pin 15 0V DC

Comment

The measurements are:
                            pin 2 0V DC
                            Pin2 (OVP) is not enabled. It would be at 2V if it were.

Pin14 2.35V DC
                            pin 15 0V DC
                            For pins 14 and 15, I don't know if that is correct for the brightness or not.

Anyway, other than pin 14 and 15, I think most of the electronic components on the inverter board are functioning. That leaves you to check the ccfls.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Datasheet shows OVP going into the fault protection logic...so I assume if this is 0V then that part of the circuit is not enabled...ie chip is not faulted.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by chez71 View Post
                                I was planning on buying this power board from eBay as it is the cheapest new one available, however the layout is slightly different and it is marked 225BW Rev 0.2. Will this be compatible with what I have? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Samsung-...#ht_3166wt_986

Thanks again.
                                It looks similar but there is just no way for me to tell. I suspect the different revisions are compatible but I cannot confirm that so perhaps for the sake of a couple bucks, you may want to match it with your current revision. Good luck!

Comment

Datasheet shows OVP going into the fault protection logic...so I assume if this is 0V then that part of the circuit is not enabled...ie chip is not faulted.
                                  Sorry, my wording is a bit confusing.

From reading the datasheet, if OVP were "tripped", it would be around 2V DC. Since it is 0V, my interpretation is that OVP is not "tripped".
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                    Sorry, my wording is a bit confusing.

From reading the datasheet, if OVP were "tripped", it would be around 2V DC. Since it is 0V, my interpretation is that OVP is not "tripped".
                                    my interpretation as well. CCFL's it is.

I appreciate your help.

Comment

I received my replacement power board from china (e-bay purchase referenced above) and it doesn't seem to power the backlights at all. I haven't had time to play with it, just plugged it in quickly to see if it would work but alas no luck.

Are there any known issues/differences between Rev 1 and Rev 2 boards? I'm replacing a Rev 1 with a 2.

More info: this particular monitor had the caps replaced 2 years ago. Lately it started flickering. To isolate the problem, I swapped a known working powerboard out of another of my 225BW's and it corrected the problem. This tells me it was a problem on the board.

I plopped a replacement board in, hit power and I get nothing on the screen, it doesn't even fire up for a second displaying the Analog/Digital box in the top left. I haven't had time to look close enough to see if there is a picture on the LCD using a flashlight, more later on that.

The power button lights blue, no image comes, the power button then goes to blinking blue.

I'll investigate further but off the top of your head (Bill or others) do you know of any material differences between the revisions of the boards and if they are compatible with each other?

Thanks

With the board installed,

Comment

do u know what size of ccfls do i need? or where can i get CCFL LAMPS FULL ASSEMBLIES for Samsung Syncmaster 225BW?
                                        Last edited by termit; 02-09-2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by termit View Post
                                          do u know what size of ccfls do i need? or where can i get CCFL LAMPS FULL ASSEMBLIES for Samsung Syncmaster 225BW?
                                          Try ccflwarehouse.com. Email them if you can't find what you're looking for. They're very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                                          X