• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 32" Goodmans TV

Hmmm...

It's tempting to buy a new main board.

I can get one for £20.

I will first try to find the actual fault with this board.

I don't think the inverter is faulty; see previous post. Disconnecting it shows similar problems.

Although, the 24V line to the inverter, while LED is flashing, is at 9.5V - 10.5V, changing slowly between values... very odd...
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

There's plenty about these bloody boards thats odd...

Gona do some more testing, back soon
      System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Originally posted by dumpystig View Post
        There's plenty about these bloody boards thats odd...

Gona do some more testing, back soon
        Thanks for your help.

The 24V line looks rather odd indeed... see scope trace

Bouncing from 8.5V to 11V at... guess what frequency.

[If you guessed 3 Hz, you'd be right.]

Everything in this PSU is sync'd to this 3 Hz signal! Where is it coming from? The only thing I can think of is the STBY_ON_OFF line... and the only place that comes from is the VCTP.

To test the display I plugged it into my Xbox 360 (got it off someone for cheap because of a broken disc tray, was easy to repair.) It was working perfectly, albeit making that rather annoying buzzing sound. Then I turned it off. I turned it on again, and briefly (half a second) there was an image (from Xbox) but then it switched off, and the LED started blinking... and it's been doing that even since.

I'm thinking software issues because I did turn it off by the plug. If it was writing to that eeprom at the time then who knows? It could be corrupted. I was using component video inputs, but I don't think that would matter.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by tom66; 07-24-2011, 06:45 AM.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Does your M/b have the extra HDMI x2 daughterboard?
          I'm still prefering the sort-it-myself approach, up to now anyways.....

I don't think my inverters are faulty either, I can get the TV running fine most times, but this intermittent fault is really pissing me off. It's the start init procedure that is screwing up - I'm getting dropouts on the inverter start V from the M/b [PL803/1] so sometimes the b/l comes on then turn straight off and it goes into the marvellous LED-doing-different-flash-sequences-as-it-pleases-just-to-perplex-me-even-more sequence...
          System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Like yourself I'm struggling understanding these boards. Ive been having different displays re: that marvellous little blue LED, sometimes a 1Hz flash for about 2m before solid, other times 5-6 1Hz flash before solid... but at least I am able to get the set running most of the time.

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking about the EEPROM, I think I read somewhere amongst all the data I have on these boards that it is re-written (from VCTP?) when initialising a factory reset... not 100% certain tho'.

Comment

Does your M/b have the extra HDMI x2 daughterboard?
                I'm still prefering the sort-it-myself approach, up to now anyways.....

I don't think my inverters are faulty either, I can get the TV running fine most times, but this intermittent fault is really pissing me off. It's the start init procedure that is screwing up - I'm getting dropouts on the inverter start V from the M/b [PL803/1] so sometimes the b/l comes on then turn straight off and it goes into the marvellous LED-doing-different-flash-sequences-as-it-pleases-just-to-perplex-me-even-more sequence...
                Mine only has one HDMI port. I read about the daughter board but mine doesn't have it.

Like yourself I'm struggling understanding these boards. Ive been having different displays re: that marvellous little blue LED, sometimes a 1Hz flash for about 2m before solid, other times 5-6 1Hz flash before solid... but at least I am able to get the set running most of the time.
                It is very bizarre. The TV is very poorly designed. Why is there a resistor soldered on top of the board between two holes? The footprint was the wrong size, but they didn't want to update the design... Also, why is there a diode inbetween two capacitor shaped footprints? There's another diode occupying a cap footprint... It's just crazy bad design.

I can't get mine to power up at all any more. It's just dead to the world....

Yeah, I was thinking about the EEPROM, I think I read somewhere amongst all the data I have on these boards that it is re-written (from VCTP?) when initialising a factory reset... not 100% certain tho'.
                How do I get it to do a factory reset, though? That's the question...

A question for you, what does your PFC bus read at when the set is on? Should be ~400V. Mine's at 328V. I'm wondering if it could be the problem...
                Last edited by tom66; 07-24-2011, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                  How do I get it to do a factory reset, though? That's the question...
                  Can only be done with display running, service mode on remote MENU, 4, 7, 2, 5.

What resistor? If you mean R084 it's a 2W and it's mounted above the board to allow heat dissipation.
                  And I've no idea why the change with the diode/caps?

Comment

Where are you measuring? I'll power it up now.

Comment

HAHA the bugger came on 1st time....

Across C819:

STBY - 327VDC
                      RUN - 390VDC

Comment

Can only be done with display running, service mode on remote MENU, 4, 7, 2, 5.

What resistor? If you mean R084 it's a 2W and it's mounted above the board to allow heat dissipation.
                        And I've no idea why the change with the diode/caps?
                        It's not supposed to be mounted like that; you can clearly see the marking on the board intended for a smaller resistor, but they didn't have one, so they used a bigger one... a bit bodgy.

Of all things, the PSU is actually pretty well laid out. The main board is just dodgy.

HAHA the bugger came on 1st time....

Across C819:

STBY - 327VDC
                        RUN - 390VDC
                        Yeah so mine is stuck at 328V when in standby and when it is on.

Looks like I need to get it to turn on to reset it... i'll try jumpering pin #6.

Comment

Hmm

Connected STBY_ON_OFF to 5V(main) through 220 ohm resistor. Light stopped blinking and went solid. Press power button on remote. Starts blinking again.

????

Comment

STBY_ON_OFF should be:

STBY - 1V7
                            RUN - 0.6V (mine is always 54-56mV)

Comment

STBY_ON_OFF should be:

STBY - 1V7
                              RUN - 0.6V (mine is always 54-56mV)
                              Yea so connecting it to 5V makes it go into standby mode. So when the LED is lit solid, it is in standby.

The processor is trying to turn the TV on! But... why?

Comment

Thing is, you are inputting a level to the VCTP whereas it is an output from VCTP

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                  The processor is trying to turn the TV on! But... why?
                                  That's what it's meant to do. Amongst all the other things it does VCTP controls PSU on/off. When STBY_ON_OFF is high (1V7) its in stby, then when VCTP sends it low (0.6V or less) it powers up the PSU into full run mode.

Comment

That's what it's meant to do. Amongst all the other things it does VCTP controls PSU on/off. When STBY_ON_OFF is high (1V7) its in stby, then when VCTP sends it low (0.6V or less) it powers up the PSU into full run mode.
                                    Hmm. Yes, I know that the VCTP is powering the set on/off. The issue I'm having is it starts doing this as soon as power is plugged in. Trying to turn itself on. It never used to do that...

Comment

Thing is, you are inputting a level to the VCTP whereas it is an output from VCTP
                                      Yea, I am. I'm trying to override the signal from the VCTP using the 220 ohm (to prevent damage to the IC.) I'm able to get it to stick in standby and the VCTP seems happy with it. Then when I ask it to exit standby and go to RUN mode, it starts flashing again.

Comment

Yeah, it's not meant to power on until either RC or side buttons are used... odd. How about we both post a list of all V's we have @ PSU PL connectors - both STBY and RUN if possible?

Comment

Yeah, it's not meant to power on until either RC or side buttons are used... odd. How about we both post a list of all V's we have @ PSU PL connectors - both STBY and RUN if possible?
                                          Can't get it to go into run mode, but here's STBY voltages measured relative to case

PL801:
                                          pin #1 - NC
                                          pin #2 - NC
                                          pin #3 - NC
                                          pin #4 - 10.5V (jumps from 9.5V - 11.5V)
                                          pin #5 - 10.5V (jumps from 9.5V - 11.5V)
                                          pin #6 - 0.001V
                                          pin #7 - 0.001V
                                          pin #8 - NC
                                          pin #9 - NC
                                          pin #10 - NC

PL802:
                                          pin #1 - 10.5V (jumps from 9.5V - 11.5V)
                                          pin #2 - 10.5V (jumps from 9.5V - 11.5V)
                                          pin #3 - 10.5V (jumps from 9.5V - 11.5V)
                                          pin #4 - 10.5V (jumps from 9.5V - 11.5V)
                                          pin #5 - 10.5V (jumps from 9.5V - 11.5V)
                                          pin #6 - 0.001V
                                          pin #7 - 0.001V
                                          pin #8 - 0.001V
                                          pin #9 - 0.005V
                                          pin #10 - NC
                                          pin #11 - 0.001V
                                          pin #12 - 0.004V

PL803:
                                          pin #1 - 0V
                                          pin #2 - 0V
                                          pin #3 - 0.1V
                                          pin #4 - 0V
                                          pin #5 - 0.06V
                                          pin #6 - 1.76V
                                          pin #7 - 24.32V (decays slowly - tuner bias voltage?)
                                          pin #8 - 3.34V
                                          pin #9 - 0V
                                          pin #10 - 0V

PL812:
                                          pin #1 - 1.85V
                                          pin #2 - 1.85V
                                          pin #3 - 0V
                                          pin #4 - 0V
                                          pin #5 - 0V
                                          pin #6 - 0V
                                          pin #7 - 0V
                                          pin #8 - 0V
                                          pin #9 - 0V
                                          pin #10 - 3.34V
                                          pin #11 - 3.34V
                                          pin #12 - 5.08V

PL813:
                                          pin #1 - 3.5V (moves slowly between 3V and 4V)
                                          pin #2 - 3.5V (moves slowly between 3V and 4V)
                                          pin #3 - 0V
                                          pin #4 - 0V

Comment

Working...
                                          X