Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marshall Stanmore II - chip flash

Hey Friends!

I have both a live and demo unit. Demo unit firmware disables Bluetooth, power toggle, and other settings. Resets via button combos will not work on these. Reaching out to Marshall is not an option either.

I copied my live CMOS chip and flashed it to the demo unit, but that didn't fix it (MX25U3235F) This has worked for other devices in the past. I'm not a chip expert, but I'm assuming the firmware is stored in another chip.

If anyone has any experience or ideas, let's hear them!

Stanmore II
    Stanmore 2
    Attached Files

Hello , In my opinion, the firmware is located in the MX25U3235F (NOR Flash memory). I suspect that the components are not installed in the demo module or that other hardware is installed. I also have a Stanmore2 in which all three LED lamps light up when switched on. Since my firmware is probably defective, I wanted to ask you if you could send me the firmware from your copy Could you send (live)? Greetings M.

Comment

HI,
      I have a Stanmore 2 with exact same problem as flasterfree has. Thee LEDs lights continuously, probably firmware error. jingleslacks if you will be so kind to send us copy of the CMOS that will answer to you where the firmware is stored and can fix our devices. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by flasterfree View Post
        Hello , In my opinion, the firmware is located in the MX25U3235F (NOR Flash memory). I suspect that the components are not installed in the demo module or that other hardware is installed. I also have a Stanmore2 in which all three LED lamps light up when switched on. Since my firmware is probably defective, I wanted to ask you if you could send me the firmware from your copy Could you send (live)? Greetings M.

Did you buy yours new? I don't think your firmware is defective. Sounds like you also have a store demo unit. Does it work if you use Aux or RCA?

Comment

Originally posted by vovantis View Post
          HI,
          I have a Stanmore 2 with exact same problem as flasterfree has. Thee LEDs lights continuously, probably firmware error. jingleslacks if you will be so kind to send us copy of the CMOS that will answer to you where the firmware is stored and can fix our devices. Thanks in advance!
          I can try to share the file when I get home and learn how to do it properly.

Comment

flasterfree

I think I misread part of your post.

Yes, demo firmware is installed in the demo units- not the same as the live firmware. That is why you can't reset them. With a lot of LG speakers, you just delete the CMOS chip to remove demo- live firmware must be store on a separate chip, because it will work perfectly when erased. That is why I tried both scenarios. First, I just wiped the chip. When that didn't work, I flashed it with new live firmware. That didn't work either. This is why I was wondering if part of the firmware was in another location. I will experiment a little more this weekend.

Comment

I'm pretty sure there's a hardware level configuration for the chip to enable/disable certain features, which explains why running a live firmware on the demo unit doesn't turn it into a live unit.

But since you have a live unit and a demo unit, you should compare the boards and see what is different.

Comment

Hello, were you lucky at the weekend?
                If I were you, I would buy the CMOS chip new and flash it with the live firmware.
                Maybe the missing components will then be unlocked. Vovantis and I still ask if you could make the live firmware available to us. You would be doing us a big favor and to test it, I would program the demo firmware on the CMOS chip to see what happens This works on a real Stanmore 2.
                Maybe we can come to a common realization.

Comment

Originally posted by прямо View Post
                  I'm pretty sure there's a hardware level configuration for the chip to enable/disable certain features, which explains why running a live firmware on the demo unit doesn't turn it into a live unit.

But since you have a live unit and a demo unit, you should compare the boards and see what is different.
                  Top = Live unit
                  Bottom = demo

Not much difference, really. The demo unit is older, so I believe that the differences are due to age upgrades rather than disabling functions. The firmware on the chips is significantly different. The ribbon cable on the the live unit is narrower, but I think that's an upgrade also. I don't know if there are limiting functions in the microcontroller, but that would defeat the purpose of having different firmware code in the first place. I REALLY don't what to unsolder that.

Comment

Originally posted by flasterfree View Post
                    Hello, were you lucky at the weekend?
                    If I were you, I would buy the CMOS chip new and flash it with the live firmware.
                    Maybe the missing components will then be unlocked. Vovantis and I still ask if you could make the live firmware available to us. You would be doing us a big favor and to test it, I would program the demo firmware on the CMOS chip to see what happens This works on a real Stanmore 2.
                    Maybe we can come to a common realization.
                    This is the firmware from my live unit. This site doesn't allow .bin files, so I tried this format. I don't know much about altering/sending files, so let me know if it opens properly. Then, let me know if it works. Also, if you're able to access your micro controller, and want to share that file...
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by jingleslacks; 04-03-2024, 09:14 PM. Reason: *FYI- I used NeoProgrammer and a CH341A

Comment

You said it's not much different but it does to me.
                      A different layout, different components and even has a different ribbon connector.

A different firmware doesn't suprise me. Firmware has to be different to reflect the changes with the board.

And because certain hardware stuff have been removed from the demo unit, flashing over the fully featured firmware won't turn the demo unit into a fully featured unit.

It's as simple as that. It's similar to what nVidia did by laser trimming the GPU core chip to reduce shader units back in the day so they could release a Special Edition chip, which is basically just a trimmed down of the Standard version, and both cards were flashed with the same BIOS firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by прямо View Post
                        You said it's not much different but it does to me.
                        A different layout, different components and even has a different ribbon connector.

A different firmware doesn't suprise me. Firmware has to be different to reflect the changes with the board.

And because certain hardware stuff have been removed from the demo unit, flashing over the fully featured firmware won't turn the demo unit into a fully featured unit.

It's as simple as that. It's similar to what nVidia did by laser trimming the GPU core chip to reduce shader units back in the day so they could release a Special Edition chip, which is basically just a trimmed down of the Standard version, and both cards were flashed with the same BIOS firmware.
                        I'm still skeptical though because I have seen posts of people posting early edition units that looked like the demo unit. Apparently, there were a bunch of issues, so I'm wondering if that is what brought about the change. Even if it wouldn't fully flash the same as a live unit, there are some features that should work- such as the ability to power it off and on. Features that would affect volume, amplifier, etc, would make sense to not be fully compatible.

Comment

Thank you jingleslacks for the firmware. My board looks the same as your live unit board. I've flashed it but with no luck. Same error - three LEDs. So may be part of the firmware is really stored elsewhere or my board has another problem. I'll post here if find something new.

Comment

Thank you jingleslacks for the firmware. My board looks the same as your live unit board. I've flashed it but with no luck. Same error - three LEDs. So may be part of the firmware is really stored elsewhere or my board has another problem. I'll post here if find something new.
                            I believe this is the case. There isn't enough information about it. When I try Google, it mostly shows reviews or where to buy. Not much talk about firmware or chips. I'll keep searching.

Comment

Looking at the photo of the board, we can say that the main firmware is in the STM32xxx controller, and what you posted is the firmware of the wi-fi, bluetooth module.

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
                                Looking at the photo of the board, we can say that the main firmware is in the STM32xxx controller, and what you posted is the firmware of the wi-fi, bluetooth module.
                                I was really hoping that wasn't the case. In my experience so far with speakers, the firmware has been in a bios/cmos/nor type of chip. I haven't had to do anything with micro controllers. I have had very bad luck desoldering chips. I'm going to have to practice a bit more while attempting not to destroy my live unit.

Comment

I'm trying to read my potentially bricked STM32F030CCT6 controller. I've bought ST-Link V2 doungle, learned chip pinouts for SWD connection with ST software. Interesting that all necessary pinouts are on "Service Port" so no soldering needed. For now my best result is establishing connection with the chip but i have the "Memory read protection" error which is caused either by my incompetence or internal chip error. Now I'm going to buy blank STM32F030CCT6 for experiments (it's cheap) and later read firmware from working board if I will able to do it. Working board I will have in 1-2 month.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Most likely there is read protection (by default the protection is “0” and in the defer mode you can read the contents; if the manufacturer has set the protection to “1” or the maximum “2”, then when you try to read (unlock the protection) the data will be destroyed and your device will turn into a brick .

Comment

I'm trying to read my potentially bricked STM32F030CCT6 controller. I've bought ST-Link V2 doungle, learned chip pinouts for SWD connection with ST software. Interesting that all necessary pinouts are on "Service Port" so no soldering needed. For now my best result is establishing connection with the chip but i have the "Memory read protection" error which is caused either by my incompetence or internal chip error. Now I'm going to buy blank STM32F030CCT6 for experiments (it's cheap) and later read firmware from working board if I will able to do it. Working board I will have in 1-2 month.
                                      Can you share more of this software and pin info? I'm only familiar with CH341a programmer and Neoprogrammer. I can start experimenting with mine if I know what I'm doing.

Comment

Yes, sure. You need to use pins 2, 4, 6, 8 on the dongle and pins 4, 5, 7, 16 on Service port. Hope my drawing will help you. But be careful, looks like lotas is right about possible data destruction after read attempt. The software i used was STM32 ST-Link utility. Yo can download it for free after registration on st.com. Connection settings that worked for me are on the photo, but you can try different. Also i suggest the Service port has USB pins for firmware restore but I don't know for sure.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X