Hotpoint FFA47X Fridge Freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hotpoint FFA47X Fridge Freezer

I prefer skiing. It's actually something like a holiday mode to reduce cycling on the compressor I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhothgar View Post
      That's telling me that I deserve a holiday after learning so much about electronics in the last two weeks!
      nice one fella, good job

Comment

When they are out of circuit you can re-read their values but I think we already established that several of the small ones were bad…
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post

When they are out of circuit you can re-read their values but I think we already established that several of the small ones were bad…
          Now all I have to work out is why a frost-free appliance needs regular defrosting.

Actually, if you read the reviews online for this fridge freezer, it clearly had a design fault.

Not sure it is worth spending lots of money are buying the revised parts to then find it probably still doesn't keep itself frost free.

Comment

"frost-free" is bullshit.

if you put unsealed wet items or items with moisture on them in a fridge the water will condense and freeze on the coolling element - that's just physics.

some equipment can detect the buildup and shut down for a while so the ice melts and drains out - in theory.
            but they often dont work well.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              "frost-free" is bullshit.

if you put unsealed wet items or items with moisture on them in a fridge the water will condense and freeze on the coolling element - that's just physics.

some equipment can detect the buildup and shut down for a while so the ice melts and drains out - in theory.
              but they often dont work well.
              Tell me about it. I have just been reading an article on frost-free and how technically complex they are.

Well since yesterday the fridge is beeping again saying I need to eat all the freezer contents in 24 hours!

At least I have a working LCD where I can cancel the beeping now.

Not intending to be sexist and I apologise in advance if it offends any ladies that may be on here (very clever ones if they are into electronics) but just asked the other half if she noticed that the compressor doesn't appear to be kicking in anymore and when since has that happened?

Obviously drew a blank expression!

I've defrosted the fan at the rear of the freezer and compressor still not kicking in so onto diagnosing that now!!!

The article I read said frost-free are notoriously difficult to diagnose and repair.

Might start with the thermistor.

Anyone know any decent fridge makers these days without all the technological crap in them? Time for a simple fridge methinks.

Comment

Fridge or freezer? If fridge than you may try to look after absorption one. They still exist west from us and thanks to technological advancement are bigger and consume less. But if you have very hot there during summer without AC than it probably wont handle that.

ADD// seems that there are also combined freezers/fridges, but in general do not count on deep freezing with ABS, it is not capable of such low temperatures. About -10 °C is the best you can get, good for storing food for couple weeks, surely not for half a year.
                Last edited by Behemot; 06-10-2015, 05:10 AM.
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                  Fridge or freezer? If fridge than you may try to look after absorption one. They still exist west from us and thanks to technological advancement are bigger and consume less. But if you have very hot there during summer without AC than it probably wont handle that.

ADD// seems that there are also combined freezers/fridges, but in general do not count on deep freezing with ABS, it is not capable of such low temperatures. About -10 °C is the best you can get, good for storing food for couple weeks, surely not for half a year.
                  Oh Behemot! The United Kingdom is never very hot!!!! At least, not like mainland Europe.

Comment

Good for you than, so check those. Absorption fridge has no compressor, no moving parts, it is absolutely noiseless and as long as you don't loose working medium, it is immortal. It cools constantly, on the other hand it may have somewhat higher consumption than similar compressor units. But nto sure abotu this, I only encountered 20-40 years old models. Yep, some of those soviet models were still kicking

Comment

The fun continues.

Got the compressor working but I've blown something up! Hopefully a capacitor!

I thought I would test the fan and the defrost Resistor wire which is supposed to keep gutter clear.

I had no continuity sound in my DMM so I thought it would be a good idea to use a jumper wire in the defrost resistor terminal block in the back of the freezer.

Connected a wire (quite thick copper) and switched on.

Display came up! Compressor kicked in then BANG... Display now dead.

At least the compressor is still running!!!!

Problem now is whether to continue unplugging components and testing or leave alone and see if it freezes up.

I suppose with fan now working. The cold air is not going to transfer to fridge section.

Comment

Spot the difference!

Not sure if it is recoverable. It's blown holes in a couple of components and it was all going so well.
                        Attached Files

Comment

It appears to have vaporised a copper track!

Can I rebuild the track using flux and solder or is that TOO ambitious or just plain stupid?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Rhothgar; 06-11-2015, 09:43 AM.

Comment

clean the soot and oxide off it and take another foto with better lighting.

it looks like you just blew a transistor/triac/fet and vaporised the track between it and the connector.

if that is the case, a new part and a jumpwire and your sorted.

Comment

clean the soot and oxide off it and take another foto with better lighting.

it looks like you just blew a transistor/triac/fet and vaporised the track between it and the connector.

if that is the case, a new part and a jumpwire and your sorted.
                              You beat me to it stj. You're a star and you're bang on the money.

Comment

btw, try to read what's written on that black part, and it goes through a resistor on the other side - R95.
                                check that isnt burned or anything.
                                tell me the colours of the stripes.

Comment

btw, try to read what's written on that black part, and it goes through a resistor on the other side - R95.
                                  check that isnt burned or anything.
                                  tell me the colours of the stripes.
                                  R95 is red, lilac, brown, gold.

The triac or whatever it is is blown to smithereens! Is it safe to assume that it will be the same as the other two on the board which are
                                  :-

A logo (ST or similar) followed by YCN
                                  D2NC6
                                  6HD421

I don't think it is safe to assume.

It start ST then
                                  ????????SL2
                                  ?????????7S
                                  ??????????2

Other one next to N is:-

ST E
                                  ACS
                                  5S
                                  Y424

That is cracked in half

I've looked back at original pictures but impossible to read.

Comment

r95 is 270 ohms - or it should be, check it.

i suspect the bad part is a high commutation triac.

so you have a split part too? damn.
                                    must have got spiked by an arc from the vapor.

Comment

http://www.st.com/web/catalog/sense_.../SC477/PF62670

that's one of them

Comment

so this may be the other!
                                        http://www.st.com/web/catalog/sense_.../SC477/PF66524

Comment

Amazing. I was struggling to find anything.

I found the ST website and their eStore but it just had developmental equipment.

I couldn't find an ACS108-5S though. Do you think the ACS108-6S would be OK. There's probably too many variables, is there not, to know which exact model to choose?

What other devices are likely to use these components as I have a lot of broken electronics kicking around?
                                          Last edited by Rhothgar; 06-11-2015, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X