Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help! Small solder joints.

Preheating definitely helps.
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

Desoldering wasn't a problem, soldering the new caps in was hard, the solder looks terrible on the new joints, but they do work. I've put pressure on them, the joints are secure, just not good looking, at all. The Dell Dimension 3000 I recapped from a bad Nichicon HN (2005 date code) with a Rubycon MCZ 10v 1000uF took solder really really well. I thought I killed that ASUS, it amazed me that it POST'd when I pressed the power button.

Comment

If you can post a photo of the joints, it might give clues as to why they look bad.
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

I'm not taking it out of the case again. It's working perfect now, Prime95 will run for hours. The new capacitors seem to be working fine, as the system is perfectly stable. I'm typing this on it right now.

Comment

Found a board on eBay with all Panny's... I may buy that one, and replace the whole board.

Comment

If yours works now with new capacitors it should be just fine...
              -David VanHorn

Comment

I know, but it has OST's all over the board. I found another one on eBay with Nichicon and Rubycon capacitors on it.

Comment

Here's the link to the new board. If you look closely at the picture in the body of the listing, you can see some Nichicon model numbers. HM, HN, HD, etc. The polymer capacitors are Sanyo's, it has a few KZG's in it, but KZG's just don't like heat. This board has 6, and it's 8 years old and they're still working. I believe that they'll be just fine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/270925234344...ht_6588wt_1044

Comment

Working...
                  X