Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung UE42H5000 Logo then blank (possible fix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UE42H5000 Logo then blank (possible fix)

*LONG STORY WARNING* Good day folks. I thought I'd share my findings on this Sammy UE42H5000 and how I managed to fix it so that it hopefully helps someone out there who's having the same issue. Of course, it's not meant to be an exhaustive, sure-fire repair, since the defects can be plenty and diverse, so I'm not sure how wide a range of defects this particular fix...fixes or whether it applies to other UE models, so take it with a grain of salt.

TBH, it's really easy.....abnormally easy, so don't hold your breath too much But first, the problem: TV turns on, Samsung logo appears on screen and then.....nothing - a blank screen for a few seconds before the TV shuts off and the cycle repeats. For this to work, we assume the power supply is fine.
    I initially thought it's a dead flash chip, with nothing I could do about it, since I don't have a programmer for those yet, but decided to try an easier approach first before searching for a new board (which I couldn't find anyway, but NVM).

I located the EEPROM chip, IC904, mostly on a whim, since I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing to be honest with you, so I used my "patented" technique of replacing the chip entirely instead of messing with the original (you know, you don't want to make the defect WORSE than when you got the thing), so I dug through my drawer of EEPROM chips and located an identical one. It's a 24c256. I blanked it using my programmer, soldered it in place and after a particularly suspenseful wait, the Samsung logo came on and the screen went blank again.....ok, nothing interesting so far, since it did that the first time too and I was pretty sure deep down inside that a blank EEPROM chip just soldered on there wouldn't make any difference, at least not a meaningful one...it turned out it did, because after a few moments of blackness, I got a message saying "Please go into service menu and setup below options: Type, local set, front color options"...well I'll be damned, it worked, so step one was complete and successful: put in a blank EEPROM for IC904 and it SHOULD, I repeat, SHOULD, turn on with the above message.

Now it was on to problem no. 2: the screen was upside down. The message was kinda telling me the reason: with a blank EEPROM, the board no longer knew what panel type it was using so it defaulted to "NONE". This is where my fix may or may not differ from your particular scenario, since in my case I was lucky to have the service menu all "unlocked", with all of the options available to change.

As a side-note, a while back I had a TV always coming on with that message and despite accessing the menu via INFO-MENU-MUTE-POWER, those options were grayed out and I couldn't set them, so to overcome that, I did a bit of research and found something called "3SPEED" command or something like that (correct me if I'm wrong), which I like to call "god mode" because it unlocks all of these settings...unfortunately, to access it you need either a service remote control with this particular button on it, a phone with an IR Blaster and an APP, or a DIY version with something like an Arduino or a PI which can emulate a remote to send that "god mode" code - it can't be done with the regular remote sadly, at least not by my research. I was VERY lucky to have an LG G3 lying around which I brought back from the dead (that's another story), grabbed the app someone around here linked me to (props to you if you're reading this) and used its IR blaster - I was in like Flynn as Dave from EEV would say I set the options and the TV was all ready to go.

Back to our case, if those options are indeed locked (though I don't see why they would be), you may have to do the extra step to unlock them. Once you do, you only really need to set TYPE and LOCAL SET, since SW model is already set to UF5000 which is fine and the others shouldn't be messed with (at least I didn't). The LOCAL SET option should be set to whatever region you're in...mine is EU so that's what I set it to (just EU, no other country after that, since there are options for individual countries). I imagine if you don't set the region right, the tuner doesn't pick up anything...not sure.

Now for the TYPE option, which is the panel itself: this is where a lot of people are likely to freak out: you're presented with a bunch of models with letters and numbers and have no idea which one it is, however one trick you can use to narrow it down is to look at the first two digits - they denote the panel size. Since the model clearly says UE42 I was lucky to have just one model which begins with 42 so I set it to that (can't remember what came after 42). I was being a sh!thead and didn't take a picture of what I set it to, but the idea is very simple and logical: look for the size. If your panel is a 42, you're not gonna set it to 50. Other sizes may have more than one model available, so again, this is very specific and I got rather lucky - I'm not gonna call myself a pro for working out all of this and sharing it, it's mostly out of boredom Cheers guys and good luck
    Attached Files
    Wattevah...

Re: Samsung UE42H5000 Logo then blank (possible fix)

Whew!!.....Good reading..Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Re: Samsung UE42H5000 Logo then blank (possible fix)

Great works!
      Never stop learning
      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
      X