SAMSUNG UN60J620DAFXZA has strobing backlight w/ mb crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SAMSUNG UN60J620DAFXZA has strobing backlight w/ mb crash

at first, tv wouldnt turn on at all. no backlight flash, nothing. ok maybe it had a flashing standby light. i cant remember....
    i rushed in before taking notes. should have done sound test, mb test, other tests...
    or if i did i should have wrote them down but i didnt.
    i went straight to the backlights because with the LED tester i was able to see
    right away that one of the two strings was open. (wouldn't light up)
    there are only 4 wires going to the backlights. 2 black and 2 blue. blue is positive. black is negative. 2 strings, and ones not working.
    thinking it would be a straightforward backlight repair (and nothing else wrong!), i opened the panel and
    got to work. i found that all the LED's were actually lighting up fine except for one strip. but on that strip when i tested them individually they were all fine.
    this puzzled me but eventually i noticed that there was a burnt trace leaving
    one of the LEDs unconnected, thus making the whole strip open.

i repaired the trace with some wire, and now both sides (blue and black pairs) responded well to the
    LED tester.
    both of them using about 115v and lighting up nicely.
    i jumped the gun again, and completely reassembled the TV when i should have left it apart to test the psu and backlight combo but i didnt.
    once i got it back together and tested the psu and backlight by themselves, or with the mainboard connected i
    was now getting a strobing backlight, and im pretty sure its crashing the
    mainboard as well because when its connected i cant see any image at all when powering on.
    when i leave the backlights diconnected, and all other boards connected normally and power the backlights seperately with the LED tester, i can see the picture is fine, the menu is fine. the LCD is fine, not cracked. the TV looks great, if only a little dark because only one string is being lit.
    in this state, i unhooked the led tester from the backlights and plugged the
    backlight connector into the PSU and immediately get the strobing light, and
    the image that was on the screen gets corrupted in some weird way. and the tv would not respond to power off requests. i had to unplug it.
    so what is going on here?
    do i still have some kind of problem with my backlights even tho the tester
    lights them up fine? i know budm told me the tester doesnt put out as much current as the
    psu would, and some LEDS can light fine with the tester but fail under full
    current...but how can i test for that? there must be something i can do besides opening this panel again!

voltages to the mb look fine to me
    but then again i dont know everything about this board, and there arent any threads about it.

voltages, with MB and BL disconnected:
    for the mb connector:
    on the 13v pins im getting 12.65
    others:
    UD: 2.28v (no idea what UD is)
    PWM_BLU: 3.24v (seems normal but i just dont know anymore)
    PS_ON: 3.24v (ditto)

for the LED connector
    im getting 401v on pin 1 and 2 and 0v on all others
    (no idea how to know what to expect as normal V+ on these pins with no boards or LED connected, but 400v seems like enough?)

voltages with MB disconnected, BL connected: (while BL strobes, which i dont like to do for very long...is this damaging?)
    on all the 13v pins im getting around 5v
    and 0 on all the others except 1.6v on the PS_ON pin

on the LED connectors i get 113v on pins 1 and 2, and 0 on all the others.
    the 113v seems in line with the 115v i was getting on the readout of the LED tester, but why does it fail?

i actually bought a replacement PSU because it was cheap (25$) and it has all the same voltages and does exactly the same thing as the original, except that when its by itself, the voltage one pin1 and 2 of the LED connector reads 420v instead of 401v

continuity between harness pins and connector pins for LED connector are good. pins are making contact with the wires.

kinda stumped here. really dont want to open the panel again

psu model:
    L60H1_EHS BN44-00775A

BN4400775A

what is interesting to note here, is that the mainboard seems to be totally fine with having no backlights connected to the PSU, and if you can light the backlights some other way then you will have a nice tv, though i'd imagine the menu would no longer be able to control the backlight levels...

another thought (creepy) is that the mainboard could be not sending the right signal to the psu about powering the backlights (the UD, or the BLU_PWM voltages?) and this could be the problem resulting in the strobe and crash?

without verified expected voltages on those pins measured from a working set, or an actually useful service manual, whats a tech to do but keep bungling around making semi educated guesses?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by triplefour; 04-18-2018, 12:09 AM.
    Don't fear the repair...

Re: SAMSUNG UN60J620DAFXZA has strobing backlight w/ mb crash

Unless you have a power supply that will put out the 115v per strip there are no short cuts.
    Sounds like a failing LED, 30mA it's fine but that's low as budm explained. Full power and the LED fails.

Comment

ahh i figured it out. opened the panel again and noticed that my jumper wire fix was actually solder bridged to the underside of the strip which was grounding to the chassis, causing flicker. fixed that, now everythings fine! that will teach me to close everything up before testing with the psu. tests with the LED strip do not show it all. thanks!

gotta watch those shorts!

so now i have an extra PSU if someone needs it... or maybe sell it with the tv as an insurance policy
      Last edited by triplefour; 04-18-2018, 03:54 AM.
      Don't fear the repair...

Comment

I am working on a similar TV that uses the same power supply board. As soon as the power cord is plugged in, the backlight flashes on and off. The +13v output is around 5 volts. If I unplug the backlight LED connector, the voltages appear normal. Should I assume that there is a problem with one or more backlight LED strips, causing the PSU to shut down?

The odd thing is that it behaves the same even if the main board is disconnected (leaving just the AC cord and backlight), except that it flashes at a quicker rate. In most TV's I've worked on, the main board had to signal the power supply and backlight driver to turn on. This one seems to power up on it's own. I'm guessing that it uses pull-up/down resistors on the control inputs of the PSU.

Are there any schematics/service manuals available for these TV's? Any model that uses this power board would probably be suitable.

Comment

yes a lot of the newer samsungs will turn on the psu and backlights by itself if you unplug the mainboard. i suggest investing in a LED tester. it really helps to diagnose these tvs, to know for sure if you have some problem with the LEDS. i sold this tv already or i would tell you what voltages to expect. if i can find the extra PSU somewhere, maybe i can still help. cross your fingers.
          Don't fear the repair...

Comment

Originally posted by triplefour View Post
            yes a lot of the newer samsungs will turn on the psu and backlights by itself if you unplug the mainboard. i suggest investing in a LED tester. it really helps to diagnose these tvs, to know for sure if you have some problem with the LEDS. i sold this tv already or i would tell you what voltages to expect. if i can find the extra PSU somewhere, maybe i can still help. cross your fingers.
            Which LED tester did you use? I've always done it the hard way, using a bench power supply and series resistor. Probably not practical in something as big as a 60" TV though.

Comment

i got this one. best 40$ i ever spent. its 30 now tho
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-LCD-Bac...ster.TRS0.TSS0
              Don't fear the repair...

Comment

i got this one. best 40$ i ever spent. its 30 now tho
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-LCD-Bac...ster.TRS0.TSS0
                Awesome, I wasn't aware these existed. I have an LCD panel tester with lots of different LVDS cables, but it can't test high voltage LED strings.

This also looks like it would come in handy for other types of LED applications, and it's a lot more portable than my bench supply LOL.

Comment

It is worth noting what was said earlier. It's a useful gadget to have but it does not put out high current needed to drive most led strips. However it will find dead leds and faulty connections between led strips, However sometimes the fault may not occur until a higher current is passed through the led which then heats them up.
                  Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

at first, tv wouldnt turn on at all. no backlight flash, nothing. ok maybe it had a flashing standby light. i cant remember....
                    i rushed in before taking notes. should have done sound test, mb test, other tests...
                    or if i did i should have wrote them down but i didnt.
                    i went straight to the backlights because with the LED tester i was able to see
                    right away that one of the two strings was open. (wouldn't light up)
                    there are only 4 wires going to the backlights. 2 black and 2 blue. blue is positive. black is negative. 2 strings, and ones not working.
                    thinking it would be a straightforward backlight repair (and nothing else wrong!), i opened the panel and
                    got to work. i found that all the LED's were actually lighting up fine except for one strip. but on that strip when i tested them individually they were all fine.
                    this puzzled me but eventually i noticed that there was a burnt trace leaving
                    one of the LEDs unconnected, thus making the whole strip open.

i repaired the trace with some wire, and now both sides (blue and black pairs) responded well to the
                    LED tester.
                    both of them using about 115v and lighting up nicely.
                    i jumped the gun again, and completely reassembled the TV when i should have left it apart to test the psu and backlight combo but i didnt.
                    once i got it back together and tested the psu and backlight by themselves, or with the mainboard connected i
                    was now getting a strobing backlight, and im pretty sure its crashing the
                    mainboard as well because when its connected i cant see any image at all when powering on.
                    when i leave the backlights diconnected, and all other boards connected normally and power the backlights seperately with the LED tester, i can see the picture is fine, the menu is fine. the LCD is fine, not cracked. the TV looks great, if only a little dark because only one string is being lit.
                    in this state, i unhooked the led tester from the backlights and plugged the
                    backlight connector into the PSU and immediately get the strobing light, and
                    the image that was on the screen gets corrupted in some weird way. and the tv would not respond to power off requests. i had to unplug it.
                    so what is going on here?
                    do i still have some kind of problem with my backlights even tho the tester
                    lights them up fine? i know budm told me the tester doesnt put out as much current as the
                    psu would, and some LEDS can light fine with the tester but fail under full
                    current...but how can i test for that? there must be something i can do besides opening this panel again!

voltages to the mb look fine to me
                    but then again i dont know everything about this board, and there arent any threads about it.

voltages, with MB and BL disconnected:
                    for the mb connector:
                    on the 13v pins im getting 12.65
                    others:
                    UD: 2.28v (no idea what UD is)
                    PWM_BLU: 3.24v (seems normal but i just dont know anymore)
                    PS_ON: 3.24v (ditto)

for the LED connector
                    im getting 401v on pin 1 and 2 and 0v on all others
                    (no idea how to know what to expect as normal V+ on these pins with no boards or LED connected, but 400v seems like enough?)

voltages with MB disconnected, BL connected: (while BL strobes, which i dont like to do for very long...is this damaging?)
                    on all the 13v pins im getting around 5v
                    and 0 on all the others except 1.6v on the PS_ON pin

on the LED connectors i get 113v on pins 1 and 2, and 0 on all the others.
                    the 113v seems in line with the 115v i was getting on the readout of the LED tester, but why does it fail?

i actually bought a replacement PSU because it was cheap (25$) and it has all the same voltages and does exactly the same thing as the original, except that when its by itself, the voltage one pin1 and 2 of the LED connector reads 420v instead of 401v

continuity between harness pins and connector pins for LED connector are good. pins are making contact with the wires.

kinda stumped here. really dont want to open the panel again

psu model:
                    L60H1_EHS BN44-00775A

BN4400775A

what is interesting to note here, is that the mainboard seems to be totally fine with having no backlights connected to the PSU, and if you can light the backlights some other way then you will have a nice tv, though i'd imagine the menu would no longer be able to control the backlight levels...

another thought (creepy) is that the mainboard could be not sending the right signal to the psu about powering the backlights (the UD, or the BLU_PWM voltages?) and this could be the problem resulting in the strobe and crash?

without verified expected voltages on those pins measured from a working set, or an actually useful service manual, whats a tech to do but keep bungling around making semi educated guesses?

This helped me find my issue, the return line on one had a small broken trace, so a little jumper fixed it. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X