X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palvilion G6-2000 will not turn on

Hi Folks,

Received a motherboard which will not turn on. DA0R33MB6F0 REV:F R33
    Power light comes on and also the battery charging light.
    Power switch has 3,3V
    Attached the voltages I have checked so far and the schematics.
    To avoid confusion, I started a new thread for this board.
    I followed most of the advise from my other thread
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...8&highlight=g6 (which was a similar board).

Some voltages as checked in the other thread.
    KBC3940Q pin 77 and 78 have 3,3V
    PQ50=19,8V
    PQ53-PQ54=0V
    PQ51-PQ52=0V
    U18 pin8=3,3V
    U31 pin8=0V
    PU8 pin 7, 24 and 23 are 0V
    Attached Files

Re: Palvilion G6-2000 will not turn on

Not sure if this can help but at least you are missing S5_ON on PU8. Check pin 101 of KBC to see if you have S5_ON here (probably not).
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Thx reaction. I have 0V on pin 101 of KBC

Comment

And does pin 19 and pin 90 of KBC go from 3.3V to 0V when you press power button?

Comment

pin 19 and pin 90 of bKBC both go to 0V when powerswitch get pressed

Comment

Bad/corrupt EC ROM maybe? I'm not sure but I think S5_ON should come just after DNBSWON when KBC is initialized.

Comment

About the S5_on I have to look that up, I don't know exactly.
              To program the EC rom I have to desolder the chip and program with CH341A.
              The way I did that before is download the bios, unpack, and open the .rom or fd file in the CH341A and than press program and see that after the programcycle the program comes back with the message that both parts match.
              Is that the correct way?

Comment

I don't have a CH341A, I'm using a Raspberry Pi (Orange Pi One in fact) to flash SPI chip. But it's the same thing.
                Now, here you will have to flash the EC ROM, make sure you don't mix up between BIOS and EC ROM. You need to have a real dump of those as most of the time the file on the manufacturer's website isn't ready to flash directly. I'm not a BIOS expert, I saw that ala_borbe have a long time experience with this, so maybe he can help you.
                Before flashing anything, always do a backup of the chip.

Comment

I looked up the S5_on and according to ACPI the first signal before pressing power button that shows on the KBC is the S5_ON and that signal turns on devices that usually work in this state. After pressing the power button, KBC should switch on the S3 state by giving the high state on the SUSON signal and turning the power led. If the KBC controller does not provide a high state SUSON signal it usually means that the program built in the BIOS memory is not executed (damaged BIOS) or the KBC controller itself is faulty.

I found a clean EC bios file in one of the threads of this forum.

Comment

Desoldered the U18 and programmed it with HP QUANTA DAOR33MB6F0 EC BIOS OK,
                    (I think this one came from ala_borbe), regretfully no change

Attached a re-check of PU8 voltages
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by bicalov; 06-29-2016, 04:40 PM.

Comment

S5_ON goes high after pressing power button, but other voltages don't come up?
                      Like after pressing power button, pin 11 and pin 20 of PU8 stays at 0V ? Check between PL24/PL25 output and ground. If you have 0V, check for a short to ground at those coils. If there is no short to ground, try replacing PU8.
                      Also visually inspect the area around PU8 to see if there is any burnt component/trace.

Comment

S5_ON = 3v; PHASE2 pin 11 = 3V; PHASE1 pin 20 = 5V after pressing power switch.
                        But they stay for a very brief moment and at a 2nd press they stay 0V.
                        When you replug the adapter, they show the voltages again for a brief moment.

0V at the PL24/PL25

Resistance to gnd PL24 = 37 ohm and PL25 68 ohm, but the values are raising rapidly
                        1 minute later PL24 = 330 ohm and PL25 = 5 kohm. after typing this PL24 raised to 4,5 kohm

Comment

The list of PU8, now with the effects of the power switch.
                          You can not generate the voltage again, you have to disconnect the adapter.
                          That looks like a short, but where????
                          As soon as the power switch is pressed, it looks like all the right voltages are present, till a short brings them down.
                          Enough time it happend, when you work on a mobo and make a short by accident, the system switch off and by disconnecting the adapter it will be reset.
                          Where to look?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by bicalov; 06-30-2016, 03:35 AM.

Comment

discovered a damaged piece on RAM socket, it looks like I can fix it.Let's hope so.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Board fixed, no change in operation.
                              When power switch is pressed, NBSWON1# pin 19 on KBC goes from 3,35V to 0V.
                              As written above, many voltages come on for a short moment, so that looks like a short
                              but the question is where? Are there more connections then NBSWON1# coming from the power switch?
                              Anybody can tell me which direction to look?
                              thx.

Comment

Sorry I was on the wrong path from the beginning…
                                You should check if you get VCore just after pressing power button. Check on PL21 and PL22.
                                If you think you have a short to ground, you should check for continuity between each "big" coils and ground. They are most likely all labeled as "PL" on the schematics.
                                (Apart from that, I think I've not enough experience to help you there. :/)
                                Last edited by piernov; 06-30-2016, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Don't be sorry, I still find out a lot and learned.
                                  Vcore is 0V. Resistance of PL21 and PL22 is 680 Ohm.

checked oher coils and found PL27 = 3,5 Ohm, so is PC238, PC240 and PC241.
                                  This seems to be a little low.

Sorry to hear you can't help anymore, thanks anyway, you did great.

Comment

Having a low resistence to ground on VGA_CORE may be ok.

If you don't have VCore maybe you should try to trace back where the problem comes from.
                                    VCore is generated by PU10 (and it's companion FETs PQ15-18), you should check pin 1 for VCC=5V on this chip and pin 4 for enable signal (not sure, probably 3.3V). (after pressing power button)
                                    If VCC is ok but no enable signal, you should check for SUSON (pin 98), MAINON (pin 99) and VRON (pin 34) signals (they should come up in this order, I think SUSON enables S3 state voltages, MAINON enables S0 state, and VRON enables VCore).

This is not an efficient troubleshooting process but only some ideas that come to my mind.

Comment

No 5V on PU10 and nothing on pin 4
                                      Also 0V on PQ18-18 except for input 19,8V

Comment

PU10's VCC comes from PU8 (+5VS5) so if PU8 works after pressing power button (as we saw earlier) you should have +5V on PU10's VCC pin. If not, check resistance on PR62.

EDIT: I just saw you said "0V at the PL24/PL25". Do they stay at 0V even just after pressing power button?
                                        Last edited by piernov; 06-30-2016, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X