Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange clicking noise from Philips 37PFL9604 TV

Hello!

I have a Philips 37PFL9604 LCD TV from 2009 that have developed a defect.
    A couple of days ago i noticed these strange clicking/ticking noises coming from the TV.
    The noise begins after the TV has been on for more than 10 minutes and gradually becomes worse.
    It seems that the clicking noise emanates from the power supply area on the back of the TV set.
    Have anyone experienced a flaw like this and know what could be causing it?

I have recorded a video that shows the problem.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=72u7oGdr2zI
    Last edited by Hextinct; 03-09-2014, 05:50 AM.

Re: Strange clicking noise from Philips 37PFL9604 TV

I had this fault with a Philips plasma, eventually it got so bad TV would just shut down after clicking became buzzing. Initially, you would get a "tick" every few seconds before fault occurred.

I replaced four ceramic capacitors which had gone leaky.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24506

It's possible a similar PSU is used in your set.
    Last edited by tom66; 03-09-2014, 05:55 AM.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks for your input tom66. Though, i am not so sure that my problem is similar to the one you had with your plasma TV.

The TV set functions just as before this annoying ticking began. And up until now the TV has not shut down or refused to start up at any time. But i fear that it will eventually break down.
      Sometimes the noise almost disappears when the TV has been on for many hours.

On a photo of the same PSU board (DPS-298CP-A) as the one in my TV, i have drawn a circle around the location where the noise is emitted from. There is no visible damage to see in the area.

Which component is the most likely source of the noise? Could it be one of those blue ceramic capacitors that is faulty and emitting the ticking noise?

I do not have the right measuring equipment to test and diagnose the electrical components. All i have is some soldering skills and a simple digital multimeter.
      So before i take one the task of changing parts, i have to be pretty certain which ones are the most likely to be the cause.
      Suggestions from other members are welcome.
      Last edited by Hextinct; 03-10-2014, 08:49 AM.

Comment

have you tried pushing down on the heat sink with an insulated tool?,care full though as the sink may be carrying mains voltage.does the noise change or stop?

resonance from the filter cap?.

a clicking or ticking noise can point to a startup cap,normally around 10- 47uf,50v-63v,also out put caps can cause it,due to high ESR(.though this causes more of a hissing sound)

also i would re-solder the transformers and any coils,and check for dry joints
        fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
        please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Could also be a blue poly cap bad.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.
            But, unless someone here have experienced the same problem as i am having and can point to the exact cause of it, i think i am going to have to replace the whole PSU.
            By the way, pushing down on the heatsink and main filter capacitor does nothing to the noise.

Comment

You could use a cardboard roll tube to try to locate the source of the noise more precisely, maybe?

Comment

I have also thought of that idea myself.
                If i locate the exact component, where the ticking noise is emitted from, does it then necessarily mean, that that specific component is defective and is the source of the problem, or could it be a completely different thing somewhere else, that is inducing the noise?

Comment

first thing id be doing is pulling off that heatsink and look at components underneath.and take from there.it could well be a filter cap problem too gone high esr causing low power in pfc circuit,and underpowering the psu

high esr caps can cause this fault,the noise mostly resonates in transformers.

i use a hoover plastic pipe nozzle about 10" long for narrowing down noises,the other half hates it when i nick it,but she always knows where to find it...
                  fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
                  please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

I have the same problem, what did you do Hextinct?

How did you repair the PSU (DPS-298CP-A)?
                    or
                    Where did you buy a new PSU (DPS-298CP-A)?

Grtz

Comment

I ended up buying a whole new PSU for the TV on ebay germany. I newer figured out which component that was making the noise, i don't have sufficient skills to diagnose the electronics.
                      After replacing the PSU the TV has since been working fine and noise free.

Comment

I got exactly the same problem and I found a youtube video for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMEHBZHcWeM

The noise comes and goes randomly. Already resoldered the suspicious joints and the heat sink. The youtube video should give you a better impression of the problem. What are the most probable culprits?
                        Last edited by mejohn; 03-26-2015, 04:28 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

I think I located the origin of the sound, it is the the inverter coil/transformer on the upper left. I also measure the mains filter capacitor under the heatsink. I got 118uF and an ESR value of 0.5 ohms, which I think is okay. I could not read the label, but on similar philips power boards, it is 120uf, 400V. The diodes also fine.

Any further ideas what could cause the clicking noise?

I think the best candidates for the failure are the blue capacitors on the lower left.
                          Last edited by mejohn; 10-03-2015, 03:05 AM.

Comment

I measured the big blue film capacitors on the lower left. The values are 438nF and an ESR of 0.38 ohm. This is most likely okay. Next candidates are the capacitors on the upper left for inverter. They should be 33pF/ 6KV and 47pf/6KV and they are not cheaply.

BTW I located the origin of noise by using a paper roll and mine is definitely coming from the coil and it sounds like as in the posted youtube-video.

Comment

I replaced the ceramic capacitors for the inverter on the upper left. They were gone bad. The problem is kinda fixed. The clicking noise now disappears after a few minutes (1-2). Most probably the windings of the coil are loosened and after warm-up everything is working properly. So, I declare this success after all :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X