Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help locating datasheet - Panasonic series GE

Need help locating datasheet - Panasonic series GE

I can contribute a datasheet the archive does not have, the infamous original low ESR leaker - the Nichicon PF (M) series

If no one can locate a datasheet for Panasonic GE series, do you at least know for sure if it is low-ESR ?

If you could point me to something from Panasonic indicating their preferred current substitute cap in place of series GE, that would be great!

thanks!

Nichicon PF (M) series datasheets

large copies for archive are here at these links, the images further below do not size up as large as the originals at the links below

i.imgur.com/1ZefA.jpg
    i.imgur.com/gw01w.jpg
    i.imgur.com/EgKmP.jpg
    i.imgur.com/9umgj.jpg
    i.imgur.com/3SUCs.jpg
    i.imgur.com/zlon6.jpg
    i.imgur.com/QDtDK.jpg

the BIG 4

~~~ the top tier of low-ESR electrolytic capacitors ~~~

Re: Need help locating datasheet - Panasonic series GE

It may be just personal annoyance and CDO ("If you're truly OCD, you'll alphabetize the acronym!") ...

Why do people here keep including "(M)" as part of series names? The meaning of "(M)" is that the tolerance is +/-20%!

As to old low ESR series, in the late 70s Nichicon's best parts were the PA and PB series (ironically, Nichicon has worked its way through the alphabet, and their best non-water-based series is again the PA series). In the same time frame, the best NCC/UCC series were the RX (small can) and RZ (larger can) series. The sleeve color for the PA and PB series was green, and the RX and RZ series was yellow-orange.

It's interesting that the little diagram on the first page of the PF series datasheets indicates that the PL series is lower impedance, and the PR series is smaller. The RoHS versions of the PL and PR series are the PM and PS series, respectively. I don't see a date on the catalog pages, as shown in this thread, but I'd guess that this catalog was dated 1988-1992 (the PL series was the latest and greatest Low-Z series, and the PF series had not yet been obsoleted).
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by theOracle View Post
      If no one can locate a datasheet for Panasonic GE series, do you at least know for sure if it is low-ESR ?

If you could point me to something from Panasonic indicating their preferred current substitute cap in place of series GE, that would be great!
      AFAIK, GE is just the case marking for series NHE. The replacement for NHE is probably NHG - which is a general-purpose, 105c series, but not particularly low-ESR. You should be able to safely use FC, FJ, FK or FM to replace NHE.

Comment

AFAIK, GE is just the case marking for series NHE
        how do you know this, I can find no Panasonic document substantiating this, though I have heard a rumor to this effect

The replacement for NHE is probably NHG
        yes, this much is well documented

You should be able to safely use FC, FJ, FK or FM to replace NHE.
        I have run into problems with oscillation when using low-ESR caps in some applications where they are not called for

the BIG 4

Comment

Originally posted by theOracle View Post
          how do you know this, I can find no Panasonic document substantiating this, though I have heard a rumor to this effect
          Most of the Panasonic documentation for series NHE (datasheet, discontinuation notice, extended part numbers, etc.) has the string xxxGE somewhere, while NHG tends to have strings that look like xxxHG, with most of the other characters/digits being similar.

I do have a few authentic Panasonic GE-marked caps around, and I can measure the dimensions later if needed - these are original Japanese production (thin scoring on the vents, smooth shiny can, silver stripe on navy blue sleeve), so GE is definitely an authentic Panasonic series, not a counterfeit.

Comment

yes, where I am finding these used, I have no doubt they are genuine, but I disappointed that Panasonic doesn't list the GE series by name on their nice list of acceptable replacements for obsoleted capacitors

~

the BIG 4

Comment

from my research around the depths of Panasonic's Japanese website, I have come to the conclusion that the GE marked caps are indeed the NHE series as linuxguru speculated - and the current replacement is indeed the NHG series

the BIG 4

Comment

Working...
              X