Should I replace one cap or...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I replace one cap or...

Hey, I'm a 16yr old curious if I should replace one cap(its the only one that has physical signs of damage...) the motherboard won't even post (but I am going to try and remove the cpu and see what goes on.) I have attached a picture and I want someone with more experience than me to give me a go ahead or a no... and if someone could find me a cheap cap help would be appreciated. I have paypal if anyone has a good cap and wants to sell me it.

* I was going to provide pictures but they are to blurry, I have to adjust camera -- when I do I will post the pictures.

Re: Should I replace one cap or...

I have posted the picture (the camera makes it a bit more worse than it looks but could this 'one' cap cause the thing to not even post or "power on" for that matter?!!

It also looks like http://www.answers.com/topic/badcaps-choyo-jpg a little incase the picture isn't much help... I had to post because it was after 10 minutes.

BTW: The motherboard is the "TRASHER" motherboard by Intel... incase that helps. Its an 820uF 6.3v
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hat3x; 07-10-2007, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately that picture is still too blury to make out the VRM capacitors (having a green/gold sleeve I'd guess they may be GSC?), though I can see what look to be 1200uF 16v ZL Rubycons in the background

Replacing one capacitor is quite simply a band-aid approach to the issue, as eventually you'll need to replace others of the same make as well as they fail, 'best practice' is to replace all the capacitor at (and above) 1000uF of suspect quality, in this case you could leave the Rubycons

BTW it could also be a good idea to check out your PSU with a digital multimeter preferably under 100% loading, an internal inspection of same is up to you (especially if it's still under warranty)
      Last edited by tazwegion; 07-10-2007, 10:31 PM.
      Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Umm, I tested with a working PSU (and its back on the other machine and is working just fine ... so the PSU is out of the problem. It has to be the motherboard. Do you have an instant messaging program I can chat with you on ?

I am not that experienced with this stuff but it does have a top thats coming u. I read an article from here that someone replaced them... heres the link: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1768

Comment

If you use the posting feature of these forums, you'll be opening yourself up to greater experience in this field than I could ever offer alone

Check out the forum stickies & FAQ's they are most helpful

BTW dud capacitors will give you all sorts of system stability issues, it's most likely those caps you've already described causing your difficulties
          Viva LA Retro!

Comment

I hate that 10 minute thing (sorry for spam)
            Attached Files

Comment

that whole row minus the yellow polymer needs replacement.hn/hm are known troublemakers.

Comment

I have a whole bunch of failed Nichicon HM that have puked their guts out on an Abit KG7 board.

I replace everything from 470uF and higher. The most difficult ones for me, are those between the PCI slots. Hard to get them out.

Comment

Can someone find me a link to a place to buy them? (I ain't had good experience buying stuff from websites).

@bgavin: So that means I replace 6 caps right? (And another question... could these be causing the bord to not even "power on" or is their something else wrong (info: I have tried a working psu)

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
                    I have a whole bunch of failed Nichicon HM that have puked their guts out on an Abit KG7 board.

I replace everything from 470uF and higher. The most difficult ones for me, are those between the PCI slots. Hard to get them out.
                    unless the leads are folded over just bridge both pins with the iron and maybe ad a bit of solder.when the solder melts it should drop out.

Comment

Hat, buy your caps from Topcat who operates this site. He is entirely reputable and will make sure you get what you need. I suggest you read every recapping topic on this board. The info is great, and you will plant a lot of good technique ideas into your head.

KC8, I will give bridging a try. I use magnifiers so I can work in close, so perhaps I can bridge without burning up the board between the leads. I took the FAQ advice, and add fresh solder to every lead that is to be removed. It is a big help.

Comment

Working...
                      X