This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

I am a retired Electronic / Electrical Tech with mostly industrial experience. Really enjoyed machine control with relay logic and PLCs and PACs. I can not remember the name of my first computer (senior moment) but I do remember it was tape dependent. That led to a 286, 12 MHz in turbo mode (IBM Clone) and was excited when I was able to purchase a math co-processor. I am jack of all trades and definitely master of none but I try to fix everything myself and usually succeed although I may wear it out taking it apart and putting it back together. "If at first you don't succeed". My most recent project was doing a bottom job on my boat, a 1980 Sea Ray 270 Sedan Bridge. I still enjoy piddling with electronic projects and have many on my list to do.

Comment

Hi,

My name is Mark and am looking for help to fix a TV. I have fixed tons of stuff in the past, hope this is successful. Thanks

Comment

Hi, my name is Vince. I've been a computer buff going back to the commodore 64. Had a PC Jr. and Apple IIe back in the 80's. I've built several PC's for myself and the kids over the years. I'm a die-hard DIY guy from automotive, to household remodeling. I've had to repair a couple of LG LCD TV's due to bad caps in the power supplies. These were a piece of cake after researching the problem on the internet. I am an engineer, not a technician, but have worked on a lot of electronics over the years. I don't know all of the terminology.

My current problem is also a case of bad caps I believe. I've got two dead Dell Precision 470 workstations. Both have dual processors. Neither will post. After reading the threads in this forum, I tore into both machines and PSU's. One of the PSU's is pristine inside with no bulging caps. Both mobo's have some bulging caps in the area just in front of the CPU's. I have not yet pulled the boards out of the chassis's.

My questions:
        1. What is the best way to test the PSU's for proper functionality? When I jump the green wire to ground I hear the relays in the PSU engage but no fans with or without the case switch on the side of the PSU depressed. Should this be 5V dc?

2. Which caps on the mobo are usually the culprits?

Any help would be appreciated

Comment

This is Dick in Fiji and looking for the schematic of an HW1200R P.S.U.

Comment

hi ian best and i love work so happy to work with everyone who want!

Comment

Hi Everybody! I am Kaarigar and I am here to help fix my TV. I don't think I am an expert enough to do component level digging - but I hope to at least learn something here!

Comment

Hi there. I was drawn into this site in a search for information regarding an issue affecting a TV in my garage. Seeing the in-depth description and help from the senior members, I figured I would join and post my issue/story.

I work as an analyst by day and enjoy cars, welding, and fabrication in my off time.

Thanks for putting together this resource and, hopefully, helping resolve my unfortunate issue which will allow me to get my TV back online.

Comment

Hi all, I am new to the forum and found it very interesting. I'm from Mexico, took almost 12 years in the repair and have it clear that there is always something new to learn. I hope to help and learn from the community. Have a nice day

Comment

Hello

Comment

Hi all,

My name is Sebastian, from the Netherlands and a few days away of reaching the age of 37

As i am not an electrician or mechanic and refused to pay a mechanic for my 2 year old 3d led tv (as i refused to pay a mechanic for my motorcycle flued change), i started googling and then found this forum.
                      My tv was turning on and off and clicking so i got to this thread : https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33767

This really helped me as "electric amateur", i think i have found and thus repaired a bad solder.

Many thanks to the ppl on this forum.

I'm not sure if i return soon but surely will return on new electrical issues !

Cheers,

Sebastian

Comment

Google search for my Motorola LCD 42MF437B brought me here. Didn't let any smoke out, but whilst watching US Open tennis heard a distinct click and both sound and video went out and power led turned red. Not about to spring for a new TV just yet, so You Tube DIY was my first stop, which led me here. I'm juyst slightly north of 70, first computer experience was with PACE analogs at NASA working summers on my way to BSEE. Then some smaller chopper-stabilized tube-type analogs and eventually DEC PDP stuff. Owned a couple original IBM pc's and a couple Compaq luggables, and still have my original Norton Utilities on the 5 1/4 floppy. Propbably build 25 systems for the kids and myself over the years. Maybe twice that, actually.
                        On this project, I Recapped the 3 1500uF C951,952,952 without success, now on to the diodes.

Comment

Greetings to everyone, and thank you for allowing me to join the forum. I have some electronics background from way back in the vacuum tube days. I am hoping to find some information about capacitors that are used in PC power supply units.

Comment

Hi to all members!

I'm into all things electronic. My first pc was an msx
                            My first BASIC program was a drawing of some sort of car.

This forum looks brill, can't wait to suck up some more knowledge and perhaps even help out from time to time.

Comment

Hello, I'm Steve and am joining your group.

Comment

Hi

I am into fixing things and found this site as I was looking for information on increasing the voltage output of a playstation PSU so I could use it to power a radio transmitter. I got my answers so thanks.
                                I hope to contribute at some point
                                Regards

Comment

Hello to all....
                                  I´m eletronic. I´m here to learn and help!

BR

Comment

Similar to Fizzycapola's post, I also started with an overpriced first generation IBM PC without a harddrive. I purchased memory chips removed from mainframes.

I use my Mech Engr degree to repair my own equipment. I am now working on my Vizio L32 HDTV10A with a bad power supply. I do not see any bloated caps. I am trying to figure out how to manually turn the power supply on in case the power button or remote control is bad.

I am looking forward to sharing info on this website.

Comment

Hi all! My name is Kevin and I'm hoping to use this forum to learn and fix some of my electronics collecting dust on my shelf. I'm extremely new to this, but excited to learn and hopefully get something working!

Comment

Hey guys, My name is Troy. Im from a small town in Maine. Trying to find a part for a TV and came across this site. Hopefully I can find what I need and continue to use the site as a source of imformation.

Comment

hello guys

My name is Emiliano and work Fiumcino (Rome)
                                          Thank you for this opportunity and the forum

First of all sorry for my english very basic

2 years or so I started to repair laptop motherboard
                                          I would like to be part of this community to learn and be useful
                                          all

thanks again
                                          emilian

Comment

Working...
                                          X